Help interpret my colonoscopy report

There are only two terms I want more info on, but in the context of my colonoscopy report. Had the colonoscopy three weeks ago because GI Dr. concerned about rectal bleeding (bright red blood on tissue only - I suspected it was my hemorrhoid). While still recovering from the anesthesia, the nurse handed me the report; I asked her about polyps - no polyps, and nothing to be concerned about - doc wants to see me in a few weeks. I have an appointment with the GI Dr. this Friday morning. But I want to know more about some of the terminology in the report before I see him. I’m not worried; I just like to be as knowledgeable as possible when I see any doctor.

1. Grade 1 internal hemorrhoids - I know what "grade I’ means - found it on the Internet - suprised because I thought the hemorrhoids were worse than that)

2. Diverticulosis of the sigmoid colon - I know what that is; so far, not to worry.

3. Angioectasias in the cecum - I know the cecum is the end of the large colon; angio is prefix meaning blood vessel, but Goggle came up with nothing; so I figure this is the culprit causing the bleeding - some kind of defect in a blood vessel.

4. “If recurrent BRBPR may need colonoscopy at hopsital with APC” (I assume this means cauterization). After reading this later at home, I recalled that the nurse had said something about in-hospital cauterization [of the "angioectasias, I assume]. So I assume BRBPR means if the rectal bleeding continues, they’ll do another colonoscopy and cauterize the blood vessel

I’d like any info you can provide in this context regarding “angioectasias,” and what the letters BRBPR and APC stand for, and if I’m incorrect about their meaning.

“Angioectasia” basically means “dilated blood vessel”. There is a larger category of “angiodysplasia”, meaning malformed blood vessels, which may cause bleeding. More here. Talk to your gastroenterologist about what he/she saw and the likelihood of it causing any bleeding.

BRBPR is “bright red blood per rectum”. Generally speaking, bleeding which is bright red tends to come from the more distal part of the gastrointestinal tract (i.e. the colon) while more proximal sources (say for example a bleeding gastric ulcer) would result in blood that is darker or even black in color.
APC in this context probably refers to argon plasma coagulation. I’m not familiar with the uses of this technology, so again talk to your doc about it.

Jackmannii, MD

Thanks Jackmannii - that’s very helpful. I’m one of those people who doesn’t like to be told I need to do something without knowing the whys and wherefores; and the more knowledge one has, the more specific one can be when asking questions and making decisions.