[QUOTE=BigDoggie]
I’m reading between the lines here, but it sounds like your SO is getting way too heated when you have these arguments. Is that correct?
If that’s the case, you need to sit down with him and tell him that behavior is totally unacceptible and that you will not put up with it. If he wants to argue with you about something rationally, that’s fine. But you are not going to put up with any irrational behavior like yelling, screaming, stomping around, slamming doors, etc.
He may counter with saying that’s just the way he is, but very heated arguing can be like abuse if you are not fine with it. It would be totally unacceptible if he hit you with his hand. It’s also unacceptible if he hits you with words.
It’s not unusual to have a lot of disagreements initially when you are married, but he should be able to discuss things rationally with you.
I’m a very calm argue-er but my wife is a hothead in arguments. It took me a long time to figure out I needed to set her straight about that behavior. I’m ashamed at how long I just accepted it, thought it was just that one time, thought I’d say something about it next time, etc. It went on for years before I finally told her I wouldn’t let her talk to me like that anymore. It’s better, but it’s not perfect.
One thing that I finally learned is that the hothead is not artificially acting that way. Their emotions are boiling over and it’s like they lose control. I thought she was just “faking” since I would never do those sorts of things no matter how angry I got. But that just explains why they act that way–it doesn’t excuse it.
If he says “I was angry” when you ask why he raised his voice, or called you a @*&, or broke something, that’s not an acceptible excuse. Don’t put up with it.
I hope you don’t think me too harsh, but I wish I had addressed this issue in my marriage from the start. I let it go on way too long.
[/QUOTE]
He doesn’t call me names or break anything, he just gets very, very sarcastic and condescending. Even over trivial (to me) stuff, I can see him get angry. His shoulders hunch up, his fists clench, his lips go thin and tight. He’ll start to shake. I don’t know how to respond to his anger at all, so I usually go into panic mode and say anything I can to end it, which just reinforces his behavior.
I don’t think you harsh at all. I’m trying to find a good way to tell him that this isn’t acceptable. I’ve told him that every couple annoys each other, and shit is going to happen both to us and between us, but it’s how we handle it that will determine our success as a couple.
I’ve tried to stay focused on his behavior rather than him (I say “it makes me feel _____ when you do ____” rather than “stop being an asshole”). But the other night he said that he feels like I’m not accepting who he is when I say things like that. He also says (as you guessed) that this is who he is, and if I say anything annoying or upseting to him when he’s in a bad mood (or tired, or hungry, or whatever) that I should “expect” his response.
IMO everyone is entitled to a bad mood, but no one is justified in taking it out on the people they love.