Apocalypto and Satyricon

I saw Apocalypto tonight. And, although I loathe Mel Gibson, I’ll now be the first to admit that it was one Hell of a movie. Luscious scenery with the cinematography to match, spectacular sets and costumes (with detail, it seemed, down to the millimetre level), understated and impressive acting - a terrific movie.

In terms of its ostensible violence, yes, there most definitely was some. But, mostly, it was just different (compared to other ‘violent’ movies) and not more violent or gruesome than many, many other films of the last thirty years.

But, I’ve not come to praise the movie or Gibson (nor to bury them :wink: ). Rather, my purpose is to ask the Cafe cognoscenti if I am the only one to be struck by Apocalypto’s similarity, especially in its visual “feel”, to Fellini - Satyricon. During the former’s middle third, in particular (in the Mayan city), I had an intense sense of deja vu. Although I haven’t seen Satyricon in over 35 years, it was unmistakable. From the grotesque masks and make-up to the deliberate inclusion of physically deformed, repellant,“extras”, and from the surreal blue body paint to the stark lighting, everything seemed to come together as if Mel was saying, “This is my homage to you and Satryicon, dear Federico”.

So, please tell me - does anybody out there share my feeling? Or, am I just inventing similarities and/or overinterpreting coincidence?

Thanks!

OK, so you think I imagining things. Fair enough.

Please excuse this one little bump.

Statistically, getting any response to this thread is a crapshoot. Americans, particularly of the sort to wander through message boards reading threads during holiday break, are not necessarily Fellini buffs.

You may be right. I haven’t seen either film, so I don’t know.

(or it’s hard to find Fellini buffs who will pay to see a Mel Gibson movie in the theater during the holidays. . .)