Return of the Son of Very Vaguely Creepy...

When I first joined, oh so long ago, there was a thread titled “Very Vaugely Creepy”.

It was.

Very Vaugely Creepy.

This last weekend, I found something Very Vaugely Creepy in my house.
to whit:

Our house has a basement, that has an odd feature… one of the walls of the basement has these holes, they seem to actually be tunnels IN the wall. Well, before we bought the house, the guy that lived there before us had a bathroom extension put in. This meant that some of the walls were cut, and pushed back.

In one of those tunnels in the wall, there is a hatchet. It’s obviously been there for a LONG time. The head is covered in a layer of thick rust.

For some reason, when we saw it (had to shine my work light down the hole to see it, it’s easily 3 feet down, possibly more) both my wife and I got a shiver. I’m sure it was just shoved there at some point for storage, and then forgot about.

But it looks creepy. Oddly menacing, in a completely unexplainable way.

I’ll try to get a pic this weekend, and link it.

So who’s next? Who’s got some Very Vaugely Creepy things going on?

What’s vaugely?

I believe it’s vaguely. Vaguely, of course. It’s vaguely vaguely.

:smack:

If a mod wants to correct that, I would be grateful.

Not even vaguely.

This past Tuesday, I had to pull an all-nighter at the office because one of our clients waited until the last minute to request some sweeping changes to our work and needed it done now. Anyway, around 3am or so, I’m the only one left in the office, and that’s when I hear it: tap-tap, t-tap-tap-t-tap, tap-tap…tap. It was faint, but very clearly the sound of someone typing on a computer keyboard, and it was coming from the other side of the cubicle partition. When I looked, of course, there was nothing there, but the typing was still quite audible: tap-tap-t-tap-tap-tap, tap-t-tap-tap, tap, t-tap…

Creeping around the office, trying to trace who, or what was making the sound, I suddenly looked up toward the ceiling and discovered that it was just the ventilation unit in the ceiling making a very faint creaking noise as it turned back and forth. With the positioning of my desk, the cubicle wall and the vent, the sound seems to coming from the desk on the opposite side. This happens all day long, but the sound is drowned out by all the computer white noise, talking and so on. Only at night when everything’s turned off and closed up can you hear it.
We have a New Year’s party at my boss’s place this afternoon, so I think I’ll try to freak a few people out with my story of the phantom salesman, eternally emailing his clients.

My house was built before 1760. It is a true colonial and the main part of the house has 4 rooms that are exactly the same and almost completely original. They are just large square rooms with a fireplace in the middle and one closet on each side of the fireplace.

I said that they are the same but that is not quite true. Four feet from where I am sitting now is the one room with one missing closet. It is just a seamless wall. However, the space for the closet is most definitely there anyway because of the way the house is laid out. There is something in there if not just a very old space. I have gone down into the basement and tried to figure out a way that I could drill up and see what it was but that wouldn’t work well and I don’t want to just knock a hole in a historical wall.

It could be a cache of secret Revolutionary War goods for all I know.

Been waiting for one of these. Thought of making one myself just to tell my contribution but kept forgetting. Anyway, here it is…

I take the bus home from ASU most nights. It drops me off at this business center that I then cut through to get home. Usually about this time it’s about midnight, so I’m the only living soul walking through at the time on any given night.

Anyway, there’s this one part I pass on the sidewalk where the glass windows of a part of this building is right along side you. They don’t have curtains or blinds for some reason so you can see right inside to where a computer room is. And one computer…all the way on the side and in the front, is always on and emitting a soft greenish glow.
Picture this, if you will. The room is dark. You can see little shadows and shapes of things here and there but not much. It’s the middle of the night and the building is deserted at this time…yet one computer screen stays on, nobody in front of it, and all it shows is a DOS start up screen (with the color off and not blue like it’s supposed to be but green, like I said, so it casts an eerie green glow over the area around it).

Every time I pass there I look in and see it and it creeps the hell out of me. It may not seem like much explained in this post but man it gives me the willies. Sends shivers straight down my spine.

Why is it on? Why just that one? Why doesn’t someone fix the color? Do I want to know these answers? :eek:

Creepy…

I took my dog for a walk late one night
On the way home, I heard a whistle. Not like a wolf whistle. More like someone calling a dog. It was about 3 AM and not a soul in sight.

“weird” thought I, very vaguely creeped out. But then I heard it again. Lazy and drawn out… not like someone actually calling a dog, but more like… I don’t know. It just had a very… sort of hannibal lecter quality to it. I felt like I was prey being taunted.

SO creepy. I never did locate the source.

You’ve got to check that out, Shag. Probably the location of the real Oak Island treasure. Or maybe some old Brandy.

oooh, I wonder if you could like X-ray it or something. Like on all those crime shows when they’re looking for bodies. You might find one!

Okay, I had a couple, but then I forgot them. But then I remembered one. And now I remembered the other one.

Then, I remembered the third…

First: (which is the third) I actually posted the sequel to the first “Very Vaguely Creepy” thread, but when the thread showed up, my first post was gone. That counts.

Second: while I leave my computer on almost all the time, I’m still on dial-up, and thus usually mostly disconnected from the internet. I have the power-saver set so that after 10 minutes, the monitor goes dark until I do something like type on the keyboard or bump the mouse.

Still, every several months or so, the screen will light up (as if I’ve interacted with the machine) and proceed to shut down and reboot all by itself. I have no idea why. I haven’t found a virus or anything, but sometimes it just does it. Something must cause it, but I don’t know what.

VVC, as the terminology states.

Third: There’s a local grocery store in a building that was built in 1848. If you drink certain canned/bottled beverages and bring said cans/bottles back for deposit, you have to take them to the basement to the “redemption center” (something VVC about that nomenclature, if you think about it). The thing is, the staircase is really old, and the wood is warped, and due to the squeaking of the treads against the nails, it always sounds as if someone is following you down the stairs…just a step or two behind. The stairs are steep, so you can’t really look behind you to see if you are being followed, unless you want to sprain an ankle, or something.

Sometimes they do that: a deposit jockey will come right down with you to sort/count your cans/bottles and write you a ticket that you cash out at the register upstairs.

But many times, you turn around expecting the deposit jockey (because you can HEAR THEM FOLLOWING YOU), and there isn’t anyone there.

It’s just the old, squeaky stairs, right?

…Right?

This one is vaguely creepy or funny, depending on your perspective.

My husband goes deer hunting once a year with his father and his friends; they get some good venison out of it that’ll hold them through the winter and beyond. On this one guy’s land, there are some nice blinds set up. My husband was in one that was like a tiny shed, with a window to lean out for sighting/shooting. He had some kind of portable heater in there since it was freezing cold out that particular hunting season. One thing he couldn’t figure out, though, was where this little vibrating sound was coming from. It was a tiny, almost rhythmic rattle that sounded like it was coming from somewhere in the blind or maybe from the frame of the blind itself. It wasn’t continuous, and just frequent enough to make him wonder wtf was going on.

Finally, he turned on a flashlight to look around the inside of the dim blind, and shone it all around…

When he shone it up into the ceiling cross-supports, he was surprised to see about a dozen little field mice, huddled together for warmth on top of one of these beams. They were cold enough - and probably used enough to humans - that the light didn’t spook them into running. He saw that when one or more did a particularly strong burst of shivering, their little clawed feet on the metal would make this tiny rattle that would be amplified by the metal and the enclosed space. Apparently they were attracted there by the opportunity for shelter, and probably during the hunting season for the periodic bursts of extra heat from heaters and food/liquid from the humans’ leftover snacks.

Hmm… a rusty hatchet.

I suggest you play it safe. Just in case you enrage your wife to the point that she decides to chop off your head with the rusty hatchet take the necessary precautions: get your tetanus shot.

What if there’s a skeleton in there, a la The Cask of Amontillado?

I wouldn’t be able to help myself–I’d HAVE to cut a hole in the wall and see what was going on…

oooh, neato! You just gotta find out what’s in there.
You could try making an (almost) microscopic-size hole and then looking in with a flexible fiber optic tool. Don’t know what it costs, but they rent colonoscopes* and gastroscopes at this site

*yeah, and speaking of vaguely creepy-----would you want your ass probed with a rented colonoscope? Who created that business model?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And great idea for a thread. Too bad the original is gone, never to return.

If THAT isn’t a thead just waiting to happen: Things NOT to rent.

I live in a house that was built in about 1920, and like many of the houses in my area, it probably housed not only a family at some point, but probably also the servants who assisted the family. (Many of the houses in my area have the “servent’s stairs” in the back of the house, and I do think my third floor was probably the servant’s quarters at some point.) Anyhoo, when the Hallkids and I first moved in (almost 9 years ago), we’d hear bizarre sounds that we couldn’t quite place, things would “disappear” (even with a house full of kids, it would be odd things that would disappear and no one would know where they went), and we’d frequently hear bumps and knocks around the house that were unexplained.

One night, around 2 am, when we were all snug in our beds, I was awoken by the stereo downstairs blaring at full volume, tuned into a station we never listened to (country music). I ran downstairs and flipped it off and, not thinking too much about it because I was half asleep, I went back to bed. The following morning, I recalled what had happened, and turned on the stereo. Not only was the volume at “regular” listening volume, but the station was to the one we usually listened to (classic rock). No one had messed with the stereo between those times.

I used to think that we had a “ghost” and that it was upset that we’d moved in. (this is a rental property and had quite a few different renters in a very short period of time, and they weren’t exactly very good renters.) I think at this point, it’s become used to us, and it doesn’t act up that frequently anymore.

Our house is a murder house. At least, from what we can piece together from stories told to us by the neighbors and people who used to live here.

Apparently, a wife was murdered by her husband, beat to death, some 10 years ago or something, and I haven’t found it in the paper, but when I asked about it to people who have lived here that long, they remembered it without much detail. I am far too lazy to go to the library and look through all the old newspapers though.

We often hear noises from the basement (where, if the story is right, the murder took place) and there are rooms downstairs we keep locked, even in broad daylight where they would be well-lit. There are also some creepy drawings that look like they were done by a kid in black on the walls in these rooms. A few weeks ago, I was down doing laundry and Mrs. Small was at work, and I heard footsteps upstairs. First, I thought of the dog, but she was in a pile of dirty clothes beside me, then I thought of Mrs. Small getting home early, so I came upstairs and she wasn’t here. I called and she had never left work. I haven’t noticed anything since though, and not too much before that either…

Brendon

Oh yeah.

Brandy’s in the sealed-up room, all right.

WITH A KNIFE BURIED INTO HER CHEST!

Brandy may have been a “fine girl”, but I doubt she’s still pretty. Not with that hilt jutting out of her.

Brick up the room that the closet is supposed to be in. :eek:

An apartment my brother lived in a few years ago in Los Angeles- the screen window on the 2nd floor bathroom had some sort of pattern traced into the screen. In retrospect, it may have been a Native American/Latino (?) Eye of God Cross pattern, but it always gave me the creeps like it was a sigil to cast a spell. I was quite glad when my brother moved into his condo.