My cat's farts smell like evil insidious Death

I’m sitting here, surfing the Dope and waiting for bedtime, and Luna-brat (foreground) has decided she wants to jump on my lap and be loveable. Which I really don’t mind, but she’s got a couple of problems.

First, she drools like a half-witted bull mastiff when she’s happy. Then she shakes her head so cat spittle flies everywhere. No problem, I can deal. But the farting - Oh my gods. I don’t know what kind of foul imp of Satan crawled up this cat’s butt and died, but it’s enough to make houseflies wrinkle their noses and leave the room. And she does it constantly when I’m cuddling her; I guess she gets all relaxed around the O-ring and starts leaking vapor.

Cats are supposed to be all dainty and nice. I ended up with a drooling, farting, burping (yep, she burps too) redneck of a kitty. If she were human she’d be drinking Natural Light and collecting NASCAR commemorative plates.

She matches my Velvet Elvis perfectly. :smiley:

I can’t help with the dribbling, but can you keep a lighter ready to set those noxious farts on fire? :eek:

Wow, what are you feeding her? Some cats have issues with some foods. Try switching brands, go to a high-quality brand and see if that helps her little intestines.

But if you do switch you should do so gradually over the course of 5-7 days, mixing the old food with the new in increasing increments until she is entirely switched. Many kitties get GI upset if switched abruptly to new foods, and considering her current issues you don’t want that happening.

I’ve got nothing on the drool issue though. Maybe a bib?

I just bought the house, I don’t want to blow it up just yet!

Elysium, both the cats get Iams kitten formula. They also get Pounce treats, which come to think of it may be the problem; I don’t really remember Luna having much gas until one day when my son showed up with some Pounce in an effort to win Luna’s heart so she’d stop attacking his face and chasing him off the couch.

Oh well. I’ll eat my pizza rolls and she can eat her Pounce treats, and we’ll watch TV and fart together. It’ll be a bonding moment, one I’ll cherish for years to come.

(The drooling’s just funny. Sometimes she catches herself doing it and sucks it back in. This cat’s weird.)

Pine-Sol suppositories?

My cat dribbles too when she’s happy. Rubbing just behind their ears also produces more saliva. It’s just a thing :D. I always have a towel handy.

You need to feed her some yogurt, the kind with active cultures. That’ll fix her fart problem right up. One of my cats had this problem as a kitten, and the vet recommended the yogurt approach. It was nothing short of miraculous. I don’t even think it took a whole 8 ounce carton. I just put some out in a dish a few times, and she never had a stinky fart again. Not ever, for the rest of her 12 years of life. My older cat started getting stinky farts last year, and the yogurt worked for her, too.

It’s not hard to get them to eat yogurt, either. My Molly will beg for it if she knows I’m eating it. :smiley:

I didn’t know about the yogurt thing. That’s pretty cool.

Apparently, Marlitharn, Dave Kellett shares your pain.

Cat farts are the worst. One time when I was moving, the two cat who owned me at the time decided to fart to show their displeasure. It was cold and raining, so I couldn’t roll down the car windows. Worst trip I have ever made!

Yogurt, eh? I’ll definitely give that a try. It’s better than my other idea, which involved a cork.

I’ll have to try the yogurt approach too. Thanks a lot. One of my cats has a tendency to be flatulent too, so it would sure be nice to get that under control.

Cats, much like women, are incapable of farting. You must be imagining things.

That being said, cats and horses battle for the lead position in my Hierarchy of Poop Stink. So, if they could fart, it would be enough to turn a skunk green.

One of my cats is allergic to corn. It took a lot of experiments (and a downright pestilential living space) before I was able to determine what didn’t agree with her.

Cracked corn and chicken are two substances many cats don’t tolerate, according to my vet. I buy Nutro or the Max brands, they’re more expensive than IAMS, but my cat no longer farts. Some vet brands are also good, but my cats wouldn’t eat them.

I hope the yogurt tip works, btw. Keep us posted. :slight_smile:

One of my cats, the dearly departed Achmed, had really horrendous, rancid gas when I got him. Turned out he had amoba in his intestines and needed medication. I’ve heard other intestinal parasites can also cause gas. Has your cat had this checked out? If so, then maybe it’s a food allergy. Or maybe it’s nothing.

This gives new meaning to the phrase “airing one’s grievances.” Heh.

I know how you feel. Our two female cats were very gassy when they first came to live with us. I blame it on their diets. They now eat Purina Indoor, with occasional bits of ham, tuna juice, and grass. The Siamese cat has Issues with milk and other dairy products, though she loves them, so she’s only allowed a tiny bit of milk or cheese every once in a while. The blue-grey kitty was being fed cat food from the dollar store, plus whatever she could scrounge up on her own, and her guts got better after a couple of weeks of decent cat food. For a while there, though, I was voting early and often for her name to be “Stinkbomb”.

I wonder if the yoghurt would work for dogs, too. Our golden retriever has always started farting in the evening after he goes to sleep, and we’ve never been able to find any cause for it. The only thing that gives me pause is that he is seriously lactose intolerant, so any dairy products in any quantity – even licking up three drops of spilled milk off the floor – can increase his output exponentially.

Considering that, do you think the yoghurt would hurt or help? I do get tired of the nightly miasma in my office. Especially since he insists on sleeping butt end facing me.

Why are you smelling your cat’s farts? What the hell is wrong with you?

There are non-dairy pills that contain that bacteria available for sale. I detest yogurt, but I need to take antibiotics every now and then, and the drugs kill off the good bacteria in my gut. I have found that these pills (sometimes called probiotics) really help my gut return to normal. Since the pills have to be chewed, I think that you could crush them and put the powder onto a spoonful of favorite doggy food, or roll hot dog slices in them. Of course, I am not a vet, and you should probably talk to your vet.

I’ve also read about feeding activated charcoal to gassy dogs, but I have no idea what kind of charcoal, where one would get it, or the dosage.