Why No Human Chow?

I am a big fan of Futurama. In that show, they have a food called Human Chow, which, as you can imagine, is just like Dog Chow, but for Humans. You pour it in a bowl and you eat it. It’s all you need.

Basically what I’m saying is that there are all kinds of animals that can survive (and even be healthy) eating dried food. Why is it that there is no kind of food like that for humans? What makes Dog chow so good that dogs can eat it their entire lives and be fine? I know that dog food is a relatively recent innovation (meaning that dogs used to eat human food scraps). Seeing as there is little opposition to dog food vs. table scraps I take it to mean that dog food is a complete nutrition.

Basically what I’m asking is this: would it be possible to create some kind of human chow? We’re just another animal, after all. We are also omnivores like dogs. If so, what would be a good example of what it could be?

Previous thread on human chow.

A previous thread about this.

This questions seems to come up a lot here. I will try to find a link. The basic problem is that people tend to be pickier eaters than some other animals.

There is such a thing as Purina Monkey Chow that would keep humans alive for a long while.

Nice simulpost.

A real fan would know it’s called “Bachelor Chow”. :wink:

I think Cheerios come close.

And there’s always Power Bars and their ilk.

Two minute noodles anyone?

Damn! What shame! I’ve been called out on BACHELOR CHOW and I’ve also posted something that’s been covered loads of times before… :stuck_out_tongue: Okay I’ll go saunter off with my tail between my legs now…Sorry about the redundant question though guys, I normally search but this is the one instance where I felt that it was so unique that I didn’t need to…

Don’t feel bad, it’s been suggested before because it’s a really, really good idea. :wink:

Indeed. And, since this is the Interwebs, you just know there’s a guy who ate nothing but Monkey Chow for a week.

I totally have a crush on this guy. Seriously.

Note that Ralston Purina, the company that makes Dog Chow and Cat Chow also made Rice Chex, Corn Chex, and Wheat Chex.* Obviously, that was their version of Human Chow; they just knew better than to market it that way.

*They still do – just the generic versions of them. They sold the trademark to General Mills about a decade ago. So the generic store-brand rice chex is made by the original manufacturer, but the more expensive Rice Chex is not.

Now with flavor!

Ensure and its like are meal in a can. I have known of the extreamely enfeebled subsisting entirely on it.

Very appropriate for this thread.

Okay fine, I realized this has been covered, but really I have to say that the guy who ate monkey chow for a week was a bit of a wuss. I mean, I used to like the taste of dog food when I was a kid (the dried kind). I really think I’d do better!

It seems the thing that’s stopping us from eating it is the fact that culinary diversity is kind of considered almost a basic human need. But is it really? I mean I know we are “picky eaters” and like variety, but would it be possible to eat one food all the time and actually be healthy? Dogs and cats do, and they are healthy. Dogs have certainly gone from having variable human food to consistent dog food.

What I’m really curious about is this. Okay we’ve seen monkey chow. What would need to be included in a real-life bachelor chow if I were to eat it for the rest of my life? I’d guess some carbohydrates, proteins, and all essential vitamins and minerals. Anything else? How would this affect things like our circulatory systems. Would you be more prone to developing some kind of disease?

Also as a side note. I wish that there was some kind of superfood (maybe with a tofu-like consistency) that has most of the essentials (with the emphasis on tasting as neutral as possible) that could be dressed up, or used in recipies with sauces, etc.

Would you want to eat the same thing every meal, every day?

That’s why you don’t get “human chow”.

Yes of course I like to eat differently every day. I think it’s a pretty obvious reason why it doesn’t exist, but I am wondering if it is even possible to live healthily off of some kind of concoction. After all, all the dog-lovers of the world generally recommend dog chow as ideal for the health of their pets. Better than any other kind of food available! Is it possible that if we were able to stomach it, would there be any kind of ideal human food that would be the healthiest alternative? You’ll notice that dogs tend who eat only dog food tend to be quite healthy…

I seem to remember a nutritional study about pizza slices saying that it was possible for a healthy active adult to live off pizza for a long period of time. The catch was the amount of slices that needed to be eaten a day was fairly high and this negated the potential benefit of saving money by eating such cheap food. I am sorry I don’t have a cite for this. It was in a newsletter I read in a doctor’s office during my college years.