Al Gore nominated for the Nobel

A good man finally earns some well-deserved recognition! Link

I hope he wins!

(And… I hope he runs for President again!)

Very good to hear. I too hope he wins. He’s smart and tenacious, with an important message.
Too bad he isn’t a more dynamic speaker.

I wouldn’t get too excited, if I were Al. (Not to take anything away from his work, mind.) That article notes that last year there were 191 nominations. Plus, it would be seen as an anti-Bush move, and the Nobel committee already did that once, when they gave Jimmy Carter the Peace prize a few years back.

True, nominations are are pretty much a dime a dozen. I’m not sure what the exact criteria are, but I don’t think the Nobel committee is even involved in the nominating. I wouldn’t be surprised if W was nominated this year as well.

Noms are not a huge deal.

Gore could win though. He’s probably the world’s most visible anti-warming activist and that is an issue the Nobel committee will surely want to address soon. Plus taking a shot at Bush is something they are unlikely to think ill of.

Carter won a Nobel Peace Prize for something he did as president (Camp David) – but has any Nobel Laureate ever run for president? Can’t hurt his chances . . .

You took the words right out of my mouth! I wouldn’t be surprised if he won - first of all, he has taken his show on the road for several years now and shown this is not just some book/movie deal of the month. Also, his film has become very popular (nominated for an Oscar) and with the world-wide distribution, it would be difficult to say that his work has not had a major impact. If he does win, which I hope he does, it would only increase interest in the film - and that sounds like something the prize committee would applaud.

Regarding Al running again - stranger things have happened. The Dems are lining up earlier than usual, which means that they might all be old news by the time the convention comes around. Gore could easily step in and fill the void if there is no clear consensus by that time.

Although he has/had the reputation of a less than exciting speaker, I think his new vigor from his environmental stumping has turned him into a more confident, likeable orator - and besides, it is not like people HATED Gore, they just were not excited by him - maybe this time around he would have more passion.

Plus, a hit film, Nobel Prize and worldwide popularity certainly won’t hurt his future chances.

I’m a big admirer of the new Gore, and I hope he wins. But just to put this in perspective, assuming Gaudere was right a few years back, anyone can nominate anyone for a Nobel prize. All you have to do is write a letter. When he wins, we can come back and celibrate.

From the Nobel website, If you are not invited you cannot nominate. Qualifications to nominate candidates vary somewhat among the different Nobel Prize Committees.

And from there also, the list of people eligible to nominate for the peace prize.

1. Members of national assemblies and governments of states;
  2. Members of international courts;
  3. University rectors; professors of social sciences, history, philosophy, law and theology; directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes;
  4. Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize;
  5. Board members of organizations who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize;
  6. Active and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; (proposals by members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after February 1) and
  7. Former advisers appointed by the Norwegian Nobel Institute.

Haven’t we gone over and over this? The prize isn’t based on popular vote… :smiley:

Hope that bastard Manbearpig doesn’t rear his ugly head again and mess it all up.

I want to put the nation’s resources into a lock box. Now the only people with the combination to the lock box will be myself…and the president. This lock box…

Yet another reason for matt_mcl to run for Parliament again, and this time win!

Now, is that just national-level legislators? Could my MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament) nominate someone?

This chap won two elections and was a Nobel Laureate in Economics :slight_smile: :

I don’t know if that means national only, I was just the messenger that copied and pasted. :wink: Although, even if eligible they have to get an invitation from the nobel committee to be able to nominate someone.

GD thread.

It’s not clear to me that Mr. Gore’s accomplishments are in the correct field to qualify him for the Peace Prize. From the same official website mentioned earlier:

In other words, is environmentalism the same as fighting for human rights or for peace?

Theodore Roosevelt (Peace, 1906) in 1912.

The way I see it, if climate change has as drastic effects as Gore predicts, it could lead to devastating conflicts over land and resources. He could be preventing conflicts.

An Ontario MPP? No. However, it sounds like a member of the Quebec Parliament would qualify. :wink:

Okay, then. I hereby declare the founding of the Cecil Adams Memorial Institute for Peace, Love, and Understanding, myself as director. The CAMIPLU’s first official business: The nomination of Ed Zotti for the Nobel Peace Prize, in recognition of his tireless efforts at fighting ignorance since 1973.

Hmm, that was almost *too * easy.