Al Franken--your next Senator from MN.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/02/14/national/a133731S90.DTL&type=politics

If Minnesota can elect Jesse Ventura, why would they be less likely to elect Franken? He’s been planning this since 2005, when he moved home.

Anyone see why he can’t be elected?

There’s no reason, per se, why he can’t be elected. I have to say that I agree, mostly, with his politics and I’d have trouble casting a vote for him, especially in a primary.

He’s a blowhard and a dust-stirrer. He’s very funny but I can’t see him as an effective politician. It would depend a great deal on how seriously he takes it.

I believe he has a valid shot. He’s very savvy about the issues, and he can think on his feet. He not only doesn’t mind admitting his mistakes, he insists on it. His weakness, I think, is that he gets distracted when a politico lies. He can’t stand it.

Maybe we’ve learned from our mistakes.

Another comic performer from Minnesota. Oh goody.

Regards,
Shodan

Damn. I thought I searched to see if this had been discussed before. Sorry.

I totally just saw what you did there- you dismissed him as just a “comic performer”., without actually addressing his political inclinations. Sneaky!

Or predictable. Probably both, but I’m leaning towards predictable.

Al’s farewell/official announcement of his Senate run on today’s last broadcast of his radio show was very compelling. He talked about the approach he took , when starting his radio show;“To learn something”, and had knowledgeable guests to explain important issues. He then said he was going to approach his campaign the same way, To Learn Something, to travel Minnesota and learn what people want and need, and how to solve problems.

I think Franken has a very good chance in the race. He campaigned for Wellstone, and in the recent Minnesota elections. He has discussed the issues every day on his radio show, and will have the advice of the same top-notch experts that were his guests, all well-versed in politics. The advice of Tom Oliphant and Norm Ornstein(conservative, by the way) alone, who clearly admire him, is a big advantage. And there are a whole host of others. Franken is very well connected in that regard.

He also brought up the fact that he could easily make money on the talk circuit, or on the showbiz circuit, and that this political race would be the hardest thing he’s ever done. He wants to make a difference, though, and help solve the problems this country faces. I think that is genuine; not an ego thing. As a person with a sharp sense of humour, he often makes fun of delusions of grandeur, including his own.

I’m really going to miss his radio show; it has helped me understand the issues of this country at a greater depth.Anyone who thinks of Franken as “just a comedian”, has missed 3 years of the most intelligent political radio talk show going. He really upped the bar.

Account in The Nation.

Perhaps you noticed that I equally dismissed Jesse Ventura, whose political inclinations are different from Stuart Smalley’s. Bothcomic performers. At least Jesse had mayoral experience. Franken is running now that Air America has gone bankrupt.

They’re both public buffoons basing a campaign on name recognition/notoriety.

Imagine the objections you would raise if Rush Limbaugh ran for the Senate. You would be right in raising them.

Same here.

Regards,
Shodan

Keep up to date! They won’t cease broadcasting any time soon.

[shrug] That’s how Reagan got his start.

BTW, here’s Franken’s campaign website.

And fan message board.

And a right-wing smear page.

Shodan is merely parroting the Republican strategy which has been to dismiss Franken as a clown and avoid engaging him on the issues.

It was way back in 2003 that Norm Coleman responded to the possibility of running against Franken with the dismissive “I don’t do comedy” remark.

After watching Mark Kennedy lose in a landslide in November it would seem that smearing tactics would be the Republicans best bet in this campaign.

Coleman is now working overtime trying to change the perception that he is a pro-war Bush tool despite his repeated, emphatic and delusional support of the catastrophic war in Iraq and of the current president in general. And he says he doesn’t do comedy! He’d better stick with the attacks on Franken’s trade if he wants to have a chance in this one.

At least Franken didn’t appear in Hercules in New York, Bedtime for Bonzo, The Sonny and Cher Show or The Love Boat.

Rush Limbaugh for office? I wouldn’t support him because he’s a radical, racist, sexist, war-loving, bullshit-inventing, right-wing hate monger and a drug addict to boot. I couldn’t care less that he’s a radio personality. In fact, I encourage him to run for office. Lets’ see him in a debate rather than a monologue. Let’s see him have to defend himself outside of the confines of his studio. Let’s see what the voters think of his agenda.

He’s good enough, he’s smart enough, and, doggone it, people like him!

:smiley:

He’s smart, he’s articulate, and as a Minnesotan, I have absolutely zero faith that his interests lie in representing Minnesota. You don’t have to have spent your entire life here, but I’m not thrilled at the idea of being represented by someone that moved here because he thinks he has a shot at the office. Unfortunately, this sounds like a varient on all of the groups that are trying to use South Dakota as a stepping stone to national legislation, ie abortion rights and jail for judges.

But he grew up in Minnesota - his family moved there when he was 4 years old, and lived there until he went away to college.

Hmm… last I heard, Ventura was actually doing a decent job.

Like Reagan and Schwarzenegger?

Oh, man, I would give my left testicle to see that happen.

There’s a big difference between Franken and Rush, by the way. Franken is a comedian who knows so much about politics that he’s taken seriously. Rush is pretty much exactly the opposite.

Considering he has been out of office for, what, four years, I guess you know as much about politics as I thought.

:smiley:

Now that Air America has gone bankrupt and the EIB network seems to be going strong, yes, I guess there is.

Regards,
Shodan

sigh

Do I really need to parse “Last I heard, Ventura was actually doing a decent job” for you? Perhaps I should’ve said “did a decent job”, but that wouldn’t have given you the opportunity to dismiss my statement so easily, would it?

He wasn’t my governor, so, no, I didn’t exactly follow his career, but as I understand it, his approval ratings went to 70% or so… so I’d say he did a decent job. How’s Bush doing nowadays?

AGAIN, allow me to ask you- if you’re so willing to dismiss Franken for being a comedian, I’m assuming that you also dismiss/ed Reagan and Schwartenegger for their earlier careers as well, correct?

Reagan was a serious actor.
:slight_smile: