SDMB Gun Nut Thread

[Obligatory “inspired by this thread” link

Ok, gun nuts, sing out. And uh… talk about your guns…

I posed pictures of my main collection in an earlier gun pictures thread. My latest acquisitions: A VERY nice Remington 1100 I picked up for $200, and the CZ vz.52 I mentioned in another thread.

Plus a Smith & Wesson 1911 that I’ve had for about 6 months.

I’m not a gun nut, but I have do a few questions. I have never owned or handled a gun, so forgive me if these questions seem out of place.

Do you collect guns as artifacts and pieces of art, or do you collect them for the shooting experience, or both?

Is there a ‘gun culture’ or ‘gun ethic’ that emphasizes physical fitness, training, and mental/spiritual work in the same way that there are martial-arts cultures and ethics?

I imagine that the answers are as varied as the owners, but I am curious.

My scary guns. One of them is an Airsoft. (I’ve posted this photo before.)

Here’s my Uberti Colt Walker and one of my Uberti Colt 1851 Navies.

This image of my Colt 2nd Generation 1851 Navy is the background for my black powder loading chart page.

Those are the only photos I have, but here’s a list of my collection AFAIKR:

USGI (actual and civilian versions):
[ul][li]1979 Colt AR-15 Sporter[/li][li]Bushmaster AR-15A2 I built myself[/li][li]EA Co. CAR-15 I built myself[/li][li]Armalite (Stirling) AR-180 (older folding stock model – now if only I could find extra magazines!)[/li][li]IBM M-1 Carbine[/li][li]Inland (General Motors) M-1 Carbine[/li][li]Colt 1991-A1[/li][li]Beretta M92-FS[/li][li]S&W Model 10 (for my USN flight gear collection)[/ul][/li]Other military:
[ul][li]1917 Spandau Gew-98 configured as a WWII Kar-98[/li][li]Yugoslavian K-98 with accessories[/li][li]SMLE (I don’t remember what version)[/li][li]Springfield Armory SAR-8 (HK-91/G-3)[/ul][/li]Old West:
[ul][li]1897 Winchester Model 1892 Rifle (octagon barrel)[/li][li]1980-something Winchester 94 carbine[/li][li]1932 Winchester 94 (octagon barrel)[/li][li]1967 Canadian Centennial Commemmorative Winchester 94 carbine (new-in-box, uncycled, octagon barrel)[/li][li]Ruger .45LC Blackhawk (7.5" barrel, like Colt SAA)[/li][li]Ruger Single-Six (three-pin, like a miniature Colt SAA)[/li][li]Shiloh Sharps No. 3 Sporting Rifle, .45-70[/ul][/li]Blackpowder (I may forget a couple)
[ul][li]Uberti Colt 1851 Navy (three or four)[/li][li]Uberti Colt 1849 Pocket Pistol[/li][li]Uberti Colt 1862 Police Pistol[/li][li]Uberti Colt Walker[/li][li]Colt 2nd Generation 1851 Navy[/li][li]Colt 3rd Generation ‘Signature’ 1851 Navy[/li][li]Colt 3rd Generation ‘Signature’ Pocket Pistol[/li][li]Ethan Arms Pepperbox[/ul][/li]Other
[ul][li]Ruger 10-22 (stainless, 22" barrel)[/li][li]Sears (Marlin) single-shot .22 rifle[/li][li]Savage semi-auto .22 rifle[/li][li]Ruger Mk.II pistol (4" barrel)[/li][li]Walther PPK (stainless)[/li][li]Walther P22 pistol (green)[/li][*]Ruger Mini-14 (currently with a near-exact copy of the factory folding stock – a pre-ban version that was installed before the now-discontinued ban)[/ul]

Right now, there is the newest, my Remington 1187 semi-auto 12 gauge with walnut stock, and my Smith and Wesson 39-2 9mm semi-auto. Also I have an old Smith and Wesson .32 S&W L that I wam going to try to start shooting again.

As for rifles, there is the .30-06 Remington 01-A1, and a .22 Marlin semi-auto. I don’t do much in the way of hunting, so I am not really in the need for very many rifles.

I also have a 20 gauge Ithaca pump shotgun.

Right now I am really looking closely at a .44 or .45 revolver from Smith and Wesson. Wood grip and all that… gotta stay traditional.

Lastly is an old H&R .22L 9-shot revolver that was my great-grandfather’s. It shoots well enough though. I like to put rat-shot in it and shoot at the wood bees flying around the shop and shed. (I live in the county, and am always aware of what is past my target).

Boy, do I love guns.

My favourite gun to shoot right now is my Savage bolt action .22, because 1) I can shoot it indoors, and 2) the recoil and noise are within my tolerance level.

Fierra and I have several guns, which I’ve posted about in the past. I won’t make a list but they range from .22 rifle to .44 magnum. Also an HBAR that I’ve never fired, as well as a couple of AK’s I’ve never fired either. I guess my favourite rifle overall is my Mini-14 SS Ranch Rifle with the original stainless factory folding stock. I shot thousands of rounds through it, but haven’t fired it in 15 years.

I’m going to get the CCW permit from Kansas before long, and I’ll have to get an appropriate handgun. I’ve been very uncertain on what to get, and that fact alone is what’s keeping me from getting the license. Money’s not an object, just what to get.

Both. As you can see from my previous post, my tastes are eclectic. I appreciate the machines and how they work. There’s also an element of historical appreciation. For example: the Colt Navies were favourite handguns in the Old West, The M1 Carbines are artifacts from the Second World War, the Colt AR-15 is configured as M-16s were during the Vietnam War, the Bushmaster AR-15s are examples of current configurations, and the Sears (Marlin) single-shot .22 is a symbol of a time (before I was old enough to legally own firearms) when guns were not largely considered ‘evil’.

None of my collection are particularly ‘artistic’. The Navies do have the standard ‘engraving’ (roll stamp) on their cylinders, and the octagon barrels on the black powder Colts and the Winchesters and Sharps are nice. The engraving on the Canadian Centennial Commemorative Winchester is rather rudimentary IMO. I’d like to get some heavily-engraved examples of certain firearms someday, but I still appreciate the overall lines of the pieces. Of course, the AR-180 I bought specifically because it’s one of the ugliest firearms I’ve ever seen.

I like to shoot them too, but it’s not a regular activity.

I want one of those.

I used to have a P.08 Luger manufactured by Mayser (byf) in 1942. The numbers matched except for the magazines and the unmarked replacement barrel, and it had been refinished. Not really a collector’s piece. I sold it so I could get my Beretta. I’d like to get another.

I can only speak for myself, but I would assume most gun collectors actually shoot their guns. Much like Jay Leno and his cars. Some are nicer than others so are handled with kid gloves; others are for gettin’ out there and tearin’ stuff up!

To me, guns are a very fun and exciting hobby, and also, I find firearms pleasing to look at. The craftsmanship in some guns is just amazing.

Gun culture… hmmm. There are those who do take weapons training courses, such as training with law enforcement, and there are other training available such as Hunter’s Education, and I’m sure there are private gun education courses available. As for the mental/spiritual aspect, I would lean toward the negative for the majority of most shooters. The most meditative a shooter would get is the stillness before he/she takes a shot. This requires very steady hands/arms and a good eye. But then there are those who religiously shoot, clean, and otherwise prepare their weapon and condition themselves. Also there are the gun owners who do so solely for personal protection, but that’s another show.

Basically, I think I’m in the majority when I say I like guns because I like the loud noise, the recoil, the ability to be accurate with such a small bullet. To me, shooting sports epitomize manly activities. Much like lumber-jacking and whatnot.

But hey, that’s just me. YMMV

For some reason I decided my Remington 700 VLS needed to be glass bedded, and that I could do this with the help of the little pamphlet from Brownells. This was a mistake, I may need to find a new stock…

Nothing new lately, built an M4 this time last year. A certain Australian SDGN has me convinced that the next acquisition should be an Enfield, but somehow I’ve not had any spare cash lately.

Sunspace - I generally only own shooters. Very few of my guns are collectible or of historical significance. I shoot, that’s it.
“Gun culture” … yeah, not so much - pretty diverse group we are. Shooting is a hobby not a religion, for me. There’s a responsibility that comes along with it that most everyone I know recognizes as of primary importance - safety and education, but not finding some inner truth through punching small holes in a distant sheet of paper.
For me, anyway.

It’s OK. I think you would enjoy shooting, most people do. Just be sure you start shooting with someone responsible at a reputable range.

My stuff is all practical, mainly because most collectible stuff is expensive, impractical, and/or unserviceable, plus if you collect it you don’t want to ruin it by shooting it and potentially causing damage. Other people shoot collectibles because, well, that’s what guns are for. Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers.

Training, either formal or informal, is definitely advocated. My father, who gave me my love of guns, is a monster of a man. I’m a big guy and he can break me in half. He also has a bit of a martial arts background. For various reasons I didn’t get into that, but I’m aware of my strengths and weaknesses, which allows me to make responsible decisions.

Anyway, as to my collection, meager as it is.

I have 3 handguns. I have a Glock 27 chambered for .40 S&W, a SigSauer P239 in .357SIG, and I recently got my first revolver, a 2.25" stainless Ruger SP-101 5-shot in .357 Magnum.

I aim to get a rifle in .30-06 and a 12-gauge shotgun to round out the “essentials”. Everything else is for fun after that. What I really want when I get enough money to be silly with is the Serbu Super Shorty. That is simply an outrageous weapon, which is why I like it. :slight_smile:

My Colt black powder revolvers are for collecting. I have Uberti duplicates for shooting. I guess the Winchester Model 1892 is ‘collectible’, since it’s 110 years old and most '92s seem to be carbines instead of rifles. Only it had been refinished sometime in the past, and many collectors object to that. I’d shoot it more, but .32-20 is expensive.

Many reasons for collecting. Right now I’m fixated on collecting former Communist Bloc weapons.

Rifles

Semi-autos
SKS (Chinese) - Equipped with ATI Dragunov-style stock, muzzle brake, B-Square scope mount and Simmons 4x32 scope, along with a US-made muzzle brake. - 7.62x39

______Kalashnikov-type rifles

“AK-47” - This is a Romanian ‘Gaurda’ (“Romy G”) parts kit assembled on a US-made DC Industries AKM receiver with full Galil-style furniture (Tan). - 7.62x39

AIM - This is a Romy G kit assembled on a DCI AKM receiver in the original Romanian configuration with wood stock set and foreward pistol grip. - 7.62x39

“MAK-90” - This is a Romy G kit assembled on a DCI AKM receiver with wood handguards and a thumbhole stock. - 7.62x39

“AKM” This is a Romy G kit assembled on a DCI AKM receiver with a US-made wooden stock set to provide an authentic look.- 7.62x39

AKMS wz. 1981 This is a Polish underfolder parts kit assembled on a Vulcan Arms receiver - 7.62x39
______AR-15/M-16-type rifles

AR-15 (Match-style) Based on STAG-15 receiver. This is equipped with a DPMS Upper receiver with bull-barrel and free-floating handguard. Equipped with Leapers scope on a Colt-branded B-Square scope mount. The Lower receiver is completed with a DPMS parts kit and an A2-style buttstock. - .223REM (5.56x45mm)

AR-15 (M4-Style) Based on STAG-15 receiver. This is equipped with a pre-ban M-16 style CMT upper receiver with 16" DPMS barrel and birdcage-style flash-suppressor.The Lower receiver is completed with a DPMS parts kit and CAR-style telescoping stock. - .223REM (5.56x45mm)

M1 Carbine - .30 Carbine

Marlin Model 60 - .22LR

Marlin Model 60 - .22LR

Armalite AR-7 - .22LR

Bolt-action/single shot

Mosin-Nagant (Russian - Izhevsk Arsenal, 1923) - 7.62x54R

Mosin-Nagant (Russian - Izhevsk Arsenal, 1942) - 7.62x54R (sporterized)

Remington Model 6 - Very, very old breech-loading 22 rifle. - .22LR

Remington TargetMaster Model 610 - .22LR (Smoothbore)

Shotguns
Mossberg 500 - 12 Gauge

Winchester Model 37 - 12 Gauge

Remington 1100 - 12 Gauge

Handguns
Smith & Wesson 1911 - .45ACP

Springfield 1911 - .45ACP Equipped with beavertail grip safety, commander-style hammer and ejector as well as full-length guide rod.

Charter Arms Undercover - .38SPL

High Standard Sport King - .22LR

Smith & Wesson 22A - .22LR Equipped with Guide Gear holographic sight.

CZ vz.52 - 7.62x25 Tokarev

How do you like it? All you expected it to be? mine

Since someone else started a list, this is what I have in my safes (and that I can remember) right now -

Ruger Single Six
Custom Colt 1991A1 Commander
Colt 1991A1
Ruger Bisley Vaquero .45LC
Ruger SP101 .357
Ruger New Mdl Blackhawk .45acp/.45LC
S&W 586 .357
Ruger No.1S .300 Win Mag
AR15 (the aforementioned franken-M4)
Remington 700 VLS .308
Colt Gvt Mdl .380
Ruger 10/22
Winchester 94/.22
Makarov
Winchester 1300 12 gauge

These guys are older than me (inherited, mostly) -
1903 Springfield
Colt Frontier Scout
Carcano 7.35x51
Stevens .410 O/U
Stevens .410 single
Winchester Mdl 94 .30-30
A few others are still in my dad’s safe, and I swear I have at least one more handgun that I’m didn’t list. I could go downstairs and look, but I’m not going to.

I’m a big AK guy. When I bought my first one the guy at the counter said they are addictive, and I foolishly didn’t believe him. Nothing is more fun that getting some friends together with a few AKs and a carton of 7.62 from an Albanian tractor factory.

My first was a Romanian 7.62 SAR-1, which seems to be regarded as the best Romanian. I got one made (by accident) apparently assembled by a guy right before his lunch break, because they didn’t grind the bayonet lugs off very well, so I can attach the bayonet (legally now). I’d like to have the correct brake/flash hider put on soon.

Next I picked up a Romanian PSL, which looks is a Sniper’s rifle based on the tried and true Kalashnikov design. It fires a nasty 7.62X54R. I like it because it’s the closest thing you can get to a true Dragunov without a second mortgage.

I recently bought a “domestic” AK by an outfit in Vegas that builds them on a Bulgarian design. It looks like the newer AK-100 series, and is chambered in 5.45.

My next purchase will be an RPK, but I’m a little unsure what to look for and what to pay. Know anything about RPKs or parts kits Gabe?

I would like to buy (or build) a krinkov, but you need a tax stamp from the feds for that (because it has a short barrel) and I don’t know the local rules on that kind of thing because I just moved.

Someday, I would like to build a gold plated AK clone of a Saddam special. I don’t know much about gold plating though.

I like shotguns too, so to complement my ugly ass AKs, I have a Beretta 686x trap, a Berretta silver pigeon in 28 for quail and doves, and a true Belgium Browning for pheasant and sporting clays. I also have a single barrel Ithaca trap gun from the 30s, which someone had highly customized.

My only hand gun right now is a Walther P-22, which is a great plinking pistol for the money. I’d like to pick up a P-99 soon.

You rang? :smiley:

With a wedding to plan and pay for, the Arms Acquisition Fund has been a bit depleted of late- the last gun I bought was well before Christmas, when I picked up an extremely nice Boito 12ga SxS Coach Gun. I’ve been after a “Boom-stick” for years, and after finding one in a gunshop at a reasonable price, put it on layby, got the paperwork sorted out, and then picked it up once I’d paid it off.

Took it out hunting last weekend, and bagged a hare with it on the first shot… it handles amazingly, and it’s a lot of fun to shoot!

I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying a handgun chambered in a calibre you can actually get ammo for, and at the moment I’m thinking either a Browning Hi-Power, a Mauser “Red 9” C96 Broomhandle, a LeMat revolver repro, a Tokagypt, or maybe a S&W No. 3 Russian repro in .38 Special.

Of course, seeing as all those guns are expensive and/or hard to find, it could be a while before I get around to it… :wink:

I am so jealous. I want one of these, for no particluar reason.

I’ve inherited most of mine, so it’s a strange set:

Rifles
Ruger 10/22
Homemade on Springfield action 30–'06
Remington 742 30-'06
Homemade black powder replica .45 - 36" barrel
Kit made Hawkins BP replica .45
Original (not-replica) unknown maker .45 BP percussion

Shotguns
Savage-Stevens model 311 double 20 ga., bad firing pin
Remington 1100 12 ga. 30" full choke, needs re-blueing
Mossberg 500 12 ga.

Pistolas
(2) Ruger Redhawks .44 (consecutive serial numbers - long story)
Ruger Blackhawk .44 - one of the early ones to have the transfer bar
Walker replica black powder
Ruger SP-101 .357

You know, I’ve never fired it. It’s still in its box. I should sell it.

I’ve been remiss in my gun buying lately. I don’t think I’ve acquired a new firearm in…over a year. And that one, a Hi Standard Sportsman .22 with 2 barrels, I inherited from my dad. The Mauser collection hasn’t had an addition to it in over 3 years, which is sad. That’s what I get for getting married…other things to spend my money on. I should really look into getting a #5 Enfield, just to round out the WW2 collection.

A Gold Cup .45 (I traded for a low-serial Glock and really regret it). A very nice tricked out M1 rifle. A couple of M-16 knock offs the ex has at the farm. Kidnapping seems to be picking up in Panama.

I need to get one of those new small Tasers when I get home. Do they count?

If I had the means, I’d have at least a round dozen large bore single-shot rifles. No, that’s way too few. Several Sharps, Rugers in all my favorite calibers, a genuine Farquharson…