I just joined. Hello!

Well, I finally gave in and decided to sign up! Granted I am just a guest, but perhaps I will subscribe in the future if things go well and I have the money in the future (student budget willing!).

I have been reading the Straight Dope for a number of years now. I’ve really liked the articles here. I love learning random trivia, a habit that formed in my high school years when I joined the Quiz Bowl team (why yes, I am a geek! :smiley: ). I slowly migrated towards the message board, which I have been reading a couple of years. I always thought “It’d be fun to join! Someday, when I have something useful to say…” and after seeing many articles that made me almost join so I could comment, I was just pushed over that edge today.

I’m a junior at Kalamazoo College and am currently studying abroad in Kyoto for 10 months. I hope to post here and there when I can.

So…Hi! :slight_smile:

< waves > Greetings ! Hope you have fun here.

Welcome - and for a thread may I suggest you relate some of your first impressions and experiences living in Kyoto? I always like to read a Doper’s first-hand reports of living abroad. Besides, it is a good way to find out if there are any other Doper’s living nearby who might be interested in meeting up with you just to say hello.

As a starter, you can read his post all about his experiences in Japanese bath houses.

A hearty welcome to you, nikonikosuru! :slight_smile:

<gives peace sign> Welcome, siddown and make yourself at home

Ooh,ooh, you are from Japan? Or in Japan?

I have always been wondering about the strange rift between the havoc youths there and the Japanese worker who is usually shown to have a strong work ethic, responsible and take pride in their work seriously.

Could the youths there really make such a transition?

Thank you for the welcomes!

DMark, I like your idea. I was toying with the idea of starting a “Ask the Student Studying Abroad in Kyoto” thread, perhaps it would also help students who are thinking about studying abroad while being able to share experiences with others.

Visions of Love reminded me that I should clarify that I’m a girl. It would be pretty akward to be walking around a bunch of old Japanese ladies at a sentou if I was a guy, I would probably get kicked out pretty fast. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, time to go bathe in my little Japanese bathroom and head to bed!

Argh, my logic failed me!

Your gender’s been noted. :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome! You should definitely start a thread about your experiences; your response in the bath thread was helpful (and interesting and just the kind of experience sharing that **DMark ** was referring to, I imagine).

And if you find you want to stay and it doesn’t fit in your budget, let us know (just post a request for help in ATMB).

GT

Welcome to the boards! :smiley:

I would certainly be interested in hearing stuff about Japan, so post away.

P.S. You mention you’re a geek - you’ll fit in nicely here. For example, I am a chess playing, computer programmer who likes to roleplay. :eek:

Hello nikonikosuru. Be welcome. Enjoy your stay. :slight_smile:

Welcome aboard the Dope, I hope you enjoy the stay.

Watch out for the Squid in room 3 or was that the Goat in room 4?

Jim

Welcome, nikonikosuru! It’s always interesting to hear more from Japan.

“Kalamazoo College”?

OK, now I’ve heard everything.
If true, welcome to the SDMB. It exists to make up for the fact that a place named Kalamazoo has, in some fashion, touched your life.

If not true, you have a vivid imagination. Also welcome! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

(We don’t tell them about the squid and goats until they pony up, dude. What were you thinking?!)

Welcome! Have a good time. Post lots. It’s the stuff we actually submit that makes this place interesting, not the stuff we read and say to ourselves, “Hmm, that’s quite funny, indeed.”

Hey, how come I got the opposite advice in my introduction thread. I was told to read more than post. Were they trying to tell me something?! How could they tell from only one post?

Welcome nikonikosuru!! What does your name mean? Can we call you niko for short? Or nikon like the camera?

Thanks everyone!

Bosda reminded me that not everyone outside of Michigan has heard of Kalamazoo, I love the reaction when people hear me say where my college is for the first time. You can bet that I will be stocking up on the college shirts so I can parade my funny college name around when I leave the state after graduating. :smiley:
The school itself is pretty small, a small private college of just around 1300 students. People always think we’re a branch off of Western Michigan University, which is right across the street from my college. The name from the city comes from the Indian word “Kikalamazoo”, which meant something along the lines of “boiling water”. I thought it would have been even better if they hadn’t of taken the “Ki” part out!

I love my stay abroad so far. I’ll be here for a little over 10 months straight. The only complaints I can think of are minor, such as the higher cost of food and living, a few other students who are studying here who irk me, and the fact that getting the internet is such a huge hassle and goes down often (at least the internet in our apartment). Other than that, I’m really enjoying it here. I go to school and have a few tutoring jobs. I never experienced culture shock, but one Japanese woman told me that’s because I won’t be here long enough. She said I’d have to give it a couple of years. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, I have to return to my college to finish up before then.

I try to deviate from the fangirl/otaku stereotype that most Japanophiles are. I don’t watch much anime, I cannot tell you much about the music or celebrities, and I long ago accepted the fact that I will always be a foriegner no matter how much I try to seem Japanese, how long I stay here, or how much I know. I know way too many people who fall into the otaku stereotype here. Anyways, I really enjoy learning the language, exploring the city, and tutoring. I’m going to open a new thread so people can ask me questions about the study abroad process I went through, and my experiences if anyone would like to. I know that there are people here who know far more Japanese than I do and who have lived in Japan for much longer, but I thought I could show what it is like through the eyes of a study abroad student, if anyone is interested.

And to answer Heffalumps question, nikonikosuru means “to smile happily.” :slight_smile:

Niko would work just fine. :slight_smile:

ようこそニコニコちゃん^_^v Welcome to The Dope, Nikoniko-chan :smiley:

日本語しゃべれますか? Can you speak Japanese?

I’m always curious to chit-chat with cool new people. being female is a bonus! ;). Well, actually I’m taken in that respect haha. お宅だもんw。 I’m such a dork.

京都の中に一番きれいだと思われる場所はどこ? What do think is the most beautiful place in Kyoto? I like ginkakuji <3

Well again Welcome, and enjoy your stay. Shall we prepare the initiation rite?

Hajimemashite! :smiley:

京都中で、一番きれいな所は御所だと思います。通学するために、毎日自転車に乗って、御所を通ります。御所はいつもきれいで、静かです。高い木とカラフルな花が見られて、好きです。鴨川を歩くことと大文字の山の上にのぼることも大好きです。私はぜひ花見に行きたいんです。たぶん来月桜が桜が咲くでしょう。色々な所で花見に行くのをくびを長くなります。
Whew my Japanese is getting rusty, I can’t wait for second semester to start.
In case I butchered it, the prettiest place I have seen in Kyoto (so far) is Gosho (the imperial palace). It’s right behind my apartment and I ride through a portion of it to get to school everyday. It is beautiful in every season. I also really enjoy walking along Kamogawa (Duck River) and climbing to the top of Daimonji and looking down at Kyoto from there. I’m also really looking forward to watching the cherry blossoms, which I hope happens soon! :slight_smile:

And greetings to you, Autolycus! I’ve read a few threads with you in them. Did you take Japanese in college or is it just for hobby?

I personally am a bit rusty on the usage of -n desu and keigo, heheh. But my rusty Japanese has kept me fed and clothed here, so I guess I’m doing something correct. :smiley: