The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 04-25-2007, 01:06 PM
BANNED

Why are black people so LOUD?

Now-necessary disclaimer: please keep this out of the pit by behaving like civilized people. This is a valid question and I seek sociocultural explanations.

It's inarguable that black people are louder than any other races or groups. Even among groups that are already going be naturally loud (such as teenagers riding the train), the black ones are always twice as loud as the rest. Black youth, teens, and adults are equally loud, and it doesn't seem limited to social class; I see and hear black businesspeople screaming, shouting, and laughing in the same inappropriate situations (otherwise quiet restaurants, on the otherwise quiet train, in the otherwise quiet office) as black people of the lowest socioeconomic classes. Again, there's no debate as to the veracity of this; it's become a part of racial stereotypes and race-based humor, such as the classic "black people shouting at the screen in a movie theater" motif.

Why? There has to be a sociocultural explanation, and I'm really curious as to what's going on. I tried searching "loud black people" on this board without result, though we know how inferior the board's search engine is.

What's going on there?

Last edited by tomndebb; 05-12-2013 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: This six year old ZOMBIE thread was revived May, 2013, in Post #332.
Advertisements  
Old 04-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's inarguable that black people are louder than any other races or groups.
Huh.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:08 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yFS-lhMAZYI

First thing I thought of.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Well it's obvious to you that "Black People" have a different shapped larinx and are therefore much louder than other races, hence the obviousness that they are ALL louder than other races.

Is this a trick question? You are not fishing right?
Old 04-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCO3
What's going on there?
I would tell you, but this is the wrong forum.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Again, there's no debate as to the veracity of this;
I agree that there's no doubt that that's your opinion. You will though, I hope, allow some of us to hold another. Until your premise then finds some substantiation I'm not sure that a "Why" can be established.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Moderator Notes:

Quote:
Now-necessary disclaimer: please keep this out of the pit by behaving like civilized people. This is a valid question and I seek sociocultural explanations.
OK.

Quote:
Good start.

Thread closed.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC03
I don't want to argue this with you, because it's inarguable, but this differs from my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC03
Again, there's no debate as to the veracity of this; it's become a part of racial stereotypes and race-based humor, such as the classic "black people shouting at the screen in a movie theater" motif.
Of course we all know that racial stereotypes and race-based humor are absolutely true. There's no debating the truth of that, no sir.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Moderator Notes:

In private messaging, the OP has convinced me that he firmly believes the truth of what he states in the OP as fact.

Without further comment, moved from IMHO to the Pit.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:17 PM

All I have to say is, the OP obviously has not lived next to our former neighbors or their ilk. Fishwife doesn't begin to cover it, and that is just normal conversation for her! Her daughter is just like her, you could hear what she was saying plainly from inside our house, with closed windows and a fan running as she spoke to her mother on the porch. You couldn't help but eavesdrop with them.

ETA: And they were caucasian. Loudness has nothing to do with ethnicity. I think the OP needs a good clue-by-four.

Last edited by Zabali_Clawbane; 04-25-2007 at 05:18 PM..
Old 04-25-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:

It's inarguable that black people are louder than any other races or groups. Even among groups that are already going be naturally loud (such as teenagers riding the train), the black ones are always twice as loud as the rest. Black youth, teens, and adults are equally loud, and it doesn't seem limited to social class; I see and hear black businesspeople screaming, shouting, and laughing in the same inappropriate situations (otherwise quiet restaurants, on the otherwise quiet train, in the otherwise quiet office) as black people of the lowest socioeconomic classes. Again, there's no debate as to the veracity of this; it's become a part of racial stereotypes and race-based humor, such as the classic "black people shouting at the screen in a movie theater" motif.

Why? There has to be a sociocultural explanation, and I'm really curious as to what's going on. I tried searching "loud black people" on this board without result, though we know how inferior the board's search engine is.

What's going on there?
Well, sparky, maybe they just seem louder cause the hood you're wearing filters out all the white folks' voices.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:19 PM

Um. I've heard Southeast Asian people converse at least as loudly as the stereotypes drawn by the OP. I've certainly heard straight white men be as loud as anyone else I've ever heard. And the teenage white girls who come into my video store, the ones I have to threaten with ejection to get them to use their inside voices, are as loud as any black people I think I've heard.

I think the OP is working backwards, from conclusion to selective evidence. Either that or he assumes that his narrow experience is somehow the universal experience.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:22 PM

Maybe it's a trait that has evolved due to years upon years of people from other races saying, "WHAT?!??!?" and "HUH??!?!?" whenever we try to speak jive to them.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:23 PM

While we're discussing racial issues, can someone explain to me why us white people are so gosh darn lame?

Huh.

The bigot in Auntie Mame was sure it was the Jews who were loud.
Charter Member

Confirmation bias. Every loud black person is a point in your theory's favor, and the quiet ones don't count at all.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissener
I think the OP is working backwards, from conclusion to selective evidence. Either that or he assumes that his narrow experience is somehow the universal experience.

Yep, he's bass ackwards, for sure. Stereotyping, it's an equal opportunity past time!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM

The loudest people I know are all white.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:31 PM

Some of my best friends are loud.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Must... not... deign... with... reply.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Pseudolegal

"And now, let's go to Ollie Williams with the forecast for this thread. Ollie?"

"It's gon' rain!"
Old 04-25-2007, 05:33 PM

Ok, so if we determine that loud and obnoxious covers the spectrum of humanity, what do you think causes it? Fear? Powerlessness? Entitlement? Self importance?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Again, there's no debate as to the veracity of this; it's become a part of racial stereotypes and race-based humor, such as the classic "black people shouting at the screen in a movie theater" motif.
That's a questionable assertion but ok.

Quote:
Why? There has to be a sociocultural explanation, and I'm really curious as to what's going on. What's going on there?
Some cultures tend to be louder and are more boisterous than others. But I don't even think it's the majority of black people that are loud. It's just some black people are outstandingly or even rudely (by our standards) loud and they grab our attention. Like others have mentioned there are groups that are equally 'loud'.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahfisheroo
Ok, so if we determine that loud and obnoxious covers the spectrum of humanity, what do you think causes it? Fear? Powerlessness? Entitlement? Self importance?
Deafness or sinus congestion in some cases, I'd wager. Others are high strung, and really don't realize just how loud in comparison to others they are, or don't care to use their "indoor voices". Some really aren't brought up to be considerate to others in that way, as they perhaps were with table manners and giving up their seat to the elderly or a pregnant woman.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabali_Clawbane
All I have to say is, the OP obviously has not lived next to our former neighbors or their ilk. Fishwife doesn't begin to cover it, and that is just normal conversation for her! Her daughter is just like her, you could hear what she was saying plainly from inside our house, with closed windows and a fan running as she spoke to her mother on the porch. You couldn't help but eavesdrop with them.

ETA: And they were caucasian. Loudness has nothing to do with ethnicity. I think the OP needs a good clue-by-four.

Sounds a lot like my former neighbors. They eventually defaulted on their mortgage and had to move out. They were always screaming and carrying on. Thank the lord they've left. *shudder*

And yeah, they were whiter than white.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askia
Must... not... deign... with... reply.
Oh, come on, dude. I was hoping you'd show up. Say it loud!!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Deafness or sinus congestion in some cases, I'd wager. Others are high strung, and really don't realize just how loud in comparison to others they are, or don't care to use their "indoor voices". Some really aren't brought up to be considerate to others in that way, as they perhaps were with table manners and giving up their seat to the elderly or a pregnant woman.
I have a coworker that we all think is a lovely individual... until you have to sit near her. I offered to give up my office and take a cubicle so she could have my office and close the door when she's on the phone. And if she was any whiter, she'd be see-through. The owner of the company took her aside and talked to her about using her inside voice, and found out that her father is very hard of hearing, so she speaks loudly as a habit. Personally, I think it's a question of chicken and the egg. Seriously, I must imagine that her husband has some hearing damage by now.

Also Askia! Long time no see! Good to see you back around!

Last edited by jakeline; 04-25-2007 at 05:43 PM..
Old 04-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Maybe because they've had 400 years of White people not listening to them. When it's only Black folks together, they just whisper to each other.

My favorite line in the OP was this:

Quote:
I see and hear black businesspeople screaming, shouting, and laughing in the same inappropriate situations...
We will now move to the next agenda item in the quarterly shareholders' meeting. LaKisha, do you have those 5 year revenue projections?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:48 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Loudness has nothing to do with ethnicity.
Living where I do, I would not agree with this (taking ethnicity to mean culture rather than race). There are certainly definite cultural differences in how people perceive noise and whether or not they are being loud. People here routinely blare music and make all kinds of deafening noise at parties, but nobody gives a second thought about it. In the US, neighbors would be calling the police, but here nobody even notices it. If you ask anyone to tone things down, they look at you like you have two heads. They just don't understand why you would even be annoyed. Culturally, people simply have different standards about how they react to noise.

This said, I can't say that I have perceived US blacks as being particularly loud as a group. People from lower socioeconomic groups may, however, be less inhibited about being loud.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeline
Personally, I think it's a question of chicken and the egg.

So it's their diet?

Black people are loud.

Black people eat chicken.

Eating chickens make you loud.

I'll test this out tonight ...
Old 04-25-2007, 05:50 PM

My last next door neighbor was the loudest human being I've ever experienced, and she was as white as we come. When she yelled I could hear her from three flights up with all the doors and windows closed and the tv on. She was also a stewardess so it's quite possible that all those years of plane engines had left her with considerable hearing loss. Her kids yelled too, but they were young and had her as a mother so they could be excused.
-Lil
Old 04-25-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy
So it's their diet?

Black people are loud.

Eating chickens make you loud.

I'll test this out tonight ...
Don't forget.... it's supposed to be FRIED chicken! It won't work if you grill the chicken like a white person!

Last edited by jakeline; 04-25-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Old 04-25-2007, 05:55 PM

Have you ever heard and/or seen the stereotypical american tourist in a country where no-one speaks english?

They usually try to bridge the communication gap by shouting. (and they usually are white)
Old 04-25-2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeline
Don't forget.... it's supposed to be FRIED chicken! It won't work if you grill the chicken like a white person!

Aw, crap!

Gotta go buy me some more chickens. And some Crisco.

God damn it
Old 04-25-2007, 05:58 PM

Yeah, well, you know who's really loud? I mean, really REALLY loud?

Persian girls.

When you fuck them.

In their butts.

Persian girl butt sex loud makes black loud seem like dead baby in the library loud.

I'm just sayin'.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Because it's hard to be heard over all the jackasses whose opinions are stupid in the extreme! Plus, our big lips and butts amplify sound.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Aw, crap!

God damn it
No, man, go to Popeye's.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This is a valid question and I seek sociocultural explanations.
This one is easy, and would explain why they are exceptionally loud around you, and not so around me. When black people are around you, they have to speak up so that you can hear them as you're running across the street away from them, clutching your wallet. So, you are correct in that there is a sociocultural explanation. Next time, talk to them face to face, so that we might complete the experiment.

You remind me of a female friend I had once that wouldn't dance, date, or spend time with blacks because some of them would hit on her, and not let it go if she wasn't interested. Of course, the fact that many whites did the same thing (although she never seemed to remember it by the next day) didn't cause her to avoid dancing, dating, or spending time with them.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie em
Maybe it's a trait that has evolved due to years upon years of people from other races saying, "WHAT?!??!?" and "HUH??!?!?" whenever we try to speak jive to them.
Oh stewardess, I speak jive.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I cannot believe you said that.

gigi, white and, coincidentally, naturally soft-spoken
Old 04-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Pseudolegal

Quote:
Aw, crap!

God damn it
So long as chicken & waffles count, we're good.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwolf
While we're discussing racial issues, can someone explain to me why us white people are so gosh darn lame?
While I can't speak for white people everywhere, I can answer for myself:

Laziness. It's just so much work being all cool and hip...

Other white folk, I suspect, are just plain stupid.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:24 PM

It's really no wonder we all can't get along

OOPS!

Last edited by Omegaman; 04-25-2007 at 06:27 PM..
Old 04-25-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Yep, he's bass ackwards, for sure. Stereotyping, it's an equal opportunity past time!
Not getting this.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissener
Not getting this.

Bass ackwards, (ETA: is an offbeat way of saying) ass backwards.... I was agreeing with you, and saying I felt the OP was stereotyping. ETA2: Further I was saying I felt the OP was wayward, by saying he was bass ackwards.

Last edited by Zabali_Clawbane; 04-25-2007 at 06:33 PM..
Old 04-25-2007, 06:38 PM

You're missing an important corollary: Why are white people so quiet? It's indisputably true that when I go to a white church, everyone sits silently. They might as well be dead. And their timid, buttoned-down singing, if you can call it that, is an affront to Baby Jesus. Have they not ever been admonished to "Make a joyous noise unto the Lord"? As one minister begged his whiter-than-white parishioners last time I attended church in Vermont, "We're going to hear a gospel choir. I know it's hard, but see if you can clap and move your shoulders a little bit."

That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi
I cannot believe you said that.

Some of my best friends eat chickens.

Okay, I just got back from Popeye's. As soon as eat this, I'll start calling people, aksing them if I'm loud.

I got dirty rice and some corn on the cob, too. Hopefully that won't negate the experiment.

Later, I'll start drinking some malt liquor, see how loud that makes me.

Last edited by AncientHumanoid; 04-25-2007 at 06:42 PM..

Obviously it is due to the oppression by white men.

Do you think they were quiet when we whipped them for no reason at all?

In Africa, they had to be quiet so Lions wouldn't hear them and eat them.

And of course black people have not been allowed to mumble in the presence of a white man ever.
"What's that you say BOY!"

So putting up with loud African Americans, in movie theatres and business meetings is one of the small prices we have to pay for our horrible oppression of the nobel negro of yesterday.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Twee Varmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl
Because it's hard to be heard over all the jackasses whose opinions are stupid in the extreme! Plus, our big lips and butts amplify sound.
Man, I wish I could hear what you said, but my wife sent me to Deafsville by whispering in my ear.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Bass ackwards, (ETA: is an offbeat way of saying) ass backwards.... I was agreeing with you, and saying I felt the OP was stereotyping. ETA2: Further I was saying I felt the OP was wayward, by saying he was bass ackwards.
K. I wondered if your askew eyebrow was directed at me, in which case I couldn't figure out what meaning you were attributing to my post.

Nevermind.