The Don Martin Dictionary

My God, you CAN find just about anything on the Internet.
The Don Martin Dictionary is an alphabetical and chronological listing of sound effects appearing in Don Martin’s work:

http://www.collectmad.com/madcoversite/index-dmd-wide.html
I seriously doubt that it’s complete. For one thing, it only lists stuff that appeared in Mad, and not in the paperbacks, or in Cracked, or Don Martin magazine, or in his even rarer other stuff. In the second place, it doesn’t look nearly long enough to include all the contributions from 32 years of Mad. Where are the things from stamps and posters, included as premiums in the specials?
Still, this is an indispensable item. I don’t know why, but it is.

SKROINCH
URK URK URK
POIT!
Ahhhh…
Yes it is, isn’t it?

Don rocked.

Ha! Ever since I was a kid, I have always imagined that apes really do say, “Oot Greet!”

Great, I needed someone to start a Don Martin thread so I could ask a minor question.

I thought he did a strip using the old talking-dog-in-the-bar joke. (“Maybe I should have said Joe DiMaggio?”) Maybe 1959-1963. But I did a fairly thorough search thru Mads and indicies lately and can’t find it.

Does anyone remember this? Do I have the wrong artist and/or magazine?

I was just reading in MAD today that Running Press books is putting out a big collection of Martin’s MAD cartoons in October- The Completely MAD Don Martin. It’ll be a two-volume work looking very similar to the complete Far Side a few years back. Gary Larson’s even doing the intro. (Martin had already moved to Cracked by the time I started reading both magazines, but I do remember vaguely some of his work for that magazine. And thanks to Mark Evanier, I celebrate National Gorilla Suit Day every January 31.)

The entire MAD Cover Site is worth a look.

What a wonderful resource! I thought it would just be a long list of gibberish, but actually it’s a carefully annotated chart of gibberish. For example:

ARRARGH WAMP BLAMP OOF YUG A Lady And The Hulk Making Love MAD #221, March 1981, Page 17
Now I know where I got my “AOOGA!” expression for the sound of old car horns.

I think that “Mr. Festerbestertester” would have to be one of the great as-yet-untapped Doper pseudonyms.

Ah, Mad!

Lots of fond memories there. Anybody remember the Robinson Crusoe and Caine Mutiny spoofs in the book Bedside Mad?

Ohhhh boy. This magazine defined my childhood and formed my sense of ( profoundly warped ) humor.

Captian Klutz is another unused yet perfect Doper Name !! And the heroinne, Mrs. Hackelschmackel and her toureen of pecting chicken soup.

:smiley: I’d go out of my way to get that Don Martin retrospective book. The man has chops.

Cartooniverse

It was a Warner Brothers cartoon.

It doesn’t; I’m positive there’s at least one Paf missing. This is odd because I recall informing a Don Martin Dictionary site that the very same Paf was missing and it was subsequently added.

Perhaps there are two of these dictionary sites?

Wow! Don Martin was born in Paterson, which is not too far from where I live. I had no idea. You should have seen it- when I found out, my eyes bugged out and went DOIP!

The joke is indeed old and appears in a lot of places. But I still hope to track down the DM/Mad version.

At random;

GLOOCHLE GLOOCHLE GLUTCH

Sculptor Molding Man’s Face, MAD #229, March 1982, Page 11

makes me laugh without seeing the cartoon. I’m tempted to go into the archives and look this one up. I have 12 or 13 years worth from my impressionable youth stockpiled away.