The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-14-2000, 02:34 AM

First off, the question: Is there some sort of significance of having a bucket or flowerpot on your head? In the context of school or university, that is.

Weird question? Yeah... Here's why I ask.

Today on Tenchi Muyo (the one on Toonami, the first series, American translation, not OAV) there was this scene where Washu was dressed up like a professor and the rest of the characters were seated at desks. Ayeka and Ryoko start causing trouble, throwing things at each other. Cut away for a second to a different scene. When we cut back, Ayeka has a flowerpot on her head and Ryoko has a bucket on hers. Is this some kind of school punishment in Japan? Later on, Ryoko answers a question wrong, and a bear statue falls on her.

I'm stumped... what does it all mean?
Thanks.
(^_^)
Advertisements  
Old 10-14-2000, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

When I was in Japan, I got into a funny cartoon called Nintama Rantaro. It was about three incorrigible yet precocious little boys in a Ninja training camp back in The Day. Whenever they would act up, their sensei would punish them by smacking them on the head with a stick or something. One of the cartoon gags was watching a lump form on Shimbei-kun's (one of the boys) head. lotsa laffs

Now, apparently, conking a miscreant student on the head with a stick is an acceptable form of corporal punishment still used in Japan to this day. I say this because I seem to recall reading a letter to the editor about this in the English version of the Yomiuri Shinbun, in which an American expressed his outrage at this practice.

As for your show, I see two possibilities:

1) The victims were wearing the flowerpots on their heads to cover their wounds. The animators didn't actually want to show them getting hit, so he just showed them with flowerpots on their heads, and the audience is expected to fill in the blanks.

2) Their "teacher" merely wanted to embarass them, so he made them wear flowerpots/buckets on their heads la the Dunce cap of yore.

As for the bear statue; I have no idea.

My $.02
Old 10-14-2000, 08:25 AM

I grew up mostly in Japan, born '74, and have never been hit on the head or had to bear a flower pot on my head. I don't recall anybody in my classes getting hit on the head, but one teacher in my elementary school did have a reputation for always hitting his students. Parents knew about it but didn't complain very loudly.

The stereotypical school punishment is having to stand in the hallway, sometimes holding a bucket of water or two. Bucket on the head seems to be an extention along this theme, but not something I've heard of before.

As for the "bear statue," I believe that is actually a raccoon statue. It's the Japanese equivalent of the pink plastic flamingo or the garden gnome, from what I can see.
Old 10-14-2000, 08:57 PM

I would bet on one of two things:

1. It's a reference to another anime or manga. Possibly relating to the source that those particular characters are homage/parodies of.

2. It's completely clear in a simple subtitled version because there's an additional scene involving the bucket and flowerpot, but the Toonami people cut that scene in the version for showing in the US. This is unfortunately quite common for anime cut for kids' show US viewing.

I'm not particularly familiar with Tenchi so I can't give a more specific answer.
Old 10-16-2000, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by (Tim)
2. It's completely clear in a simple subtitled version because there's an additional scene involving the bucket and flowerpot, but the Toonami people cut that scene in the version for showing in the US. This is unfortunately quite common for anime cut for kids' show US viewing.
Just to clarify, this was probably cut for time reasons only. The first 13 episodes of Tenchi Muyo were released exclusively on video before Cartoon Network got them, and they were originally 30 minutes each. Something had to be cut so they could fit in commercials.

Of course, there are things they cut out for other reasons...Washu's method of extracting a sperm sample from Tenchi comes to mind.
Old 10-16-2000, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by scr4
As for the "bear statue," I believe that is actually a raccoon statue. It's the Japanese equivalent of the pink plastic flamingo or the garden gnome, from what I can see.
TANUKI!!!!
Old 10-16-2000, 01:37 PM

you know I saw that but I figured It's Washu, she's nuts. I just think it's an insane Washu thing...Fits her charector really
Old 10-16-2000, 02:01 PM

anime school punishments

In <i>Ranma 1/2</i>, the students are punished by standing in the hallway and holding buckets of water (Of course, water is fairly rampant in that series, since cold water turns Ranma from a boy into a girl, and hot water changes girl-type Ranma back into a boy again.) As far as hitting goes, Kuno, when he talks loudly in class, gets hit with a piece of chalk (I think) thrown by the teacher and then is told to go stand in the hallway.

One of my friends told me that he remembered the "holding a bucket of water in the hallway" punishment from when he grew up in Iran. He says it builds strong muscles. I wouldn't doubt it.
Old 10-16-2000, 03:24 PM

<thread hijack>

While on the subject of Japanese cultural quirks showing up in anime:

Who are the ninja-like black clad guys occasionally depicted scattering cherry blossoms (at least I assume they're cherry blossoms) from big baskets strapped to their backs supposed to be?

I get that they are there to punctuate an emotional scene, but there has to be more to it than just that. I've seen this contrivance used in Pokemon, Tenchi and Urusei Yatsura. Any ideas?

</thread hijack>
Old 10-16-2000, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Who are the ninja-like black clad guys occasionally depicted scattering cherry blossoms (at least I assume they're cherry blossoms) from big baskets strapped to their backs supposed to be?
It's a reference to the traditional Kabuki plays. In Kabuki, if something is black, it indicates that it should be ignored. They used assistants dressed completely in black to bring props on stage or hold them in place. Sometimes they even help actors with awkward movements, since the costumes and wigs are enormous. You can imagine how young Japanese people find them very old-fashioned and funny.
Old 10-17-2000, 04:10 PM

Hey, neat. Yeah, that "bear statue" I saw was definitely a tanuki. I shall make a note of it in my pad and file it for future reference...

Somehow I don't think the answer to this one lies in the editing of the OAV. If anybody has the Tenchi OAV and wants to review that scene, I'd appreciate it (it's the episode where Ryo-Ohki joins with the Masses, can't remember the number), but I think the joke is supposed to be clear as it is. I think scr4 and Tames are on the right track.