Stargate: Atlantis 06/01

Am I the only one who watches this show? Please use spoiler boxes. I won’t say anything in the first post, but wow.

WHY!! Just… Why? It makes no damn sense. He was one of my favorite characters. Are they trying to get rid of actors to make room for the impending cancellation of Stargate or something.

I’m very unhappy about this decision.

I agree 100% with everything you said.

I cried

Another thought… he was very brave and noble doing the operation even when it meant risking his own life… but if they’d let the guy 'splode, one person would have died. As it is, I’m pretty sure it was two dead.

Yes, but…

[spoiler] If he had exploded in the medical lab, it would have torn the place apart. I’m sure they had a lot of other stuff that would have exploded in sympathy.

It just made NO SENSE. Maybe the actor got a better part someplace else. Like the Daniel Jackson/Parker Lewis switch a few years ago. [/spoiler]

I can talk about Stargate and Atlantis for hours. Babble incoherently about Naquadah and its energy principles. I wish I had something more logical to say about this other than… It makes no sense. None whatsoever.

I sometimes feel that Stargate fans are kind of looked down on here at the SDMB. Sure it’s a show with a lot of improbable and cheesy plots, and sure it does wallow in cliche at times, but it’s also (to me) very entertaining.

I’m also disappointed and baffled.
Apparently there are rumors that, after cancellation, one or more SG1 regulars may move to Atlantis. Maybe they needed to remove a major character to make room in the budget.

Well, I sorta knew this day was coming from what I’d heard and read through the grapevine.

[spoiler]Beckett reminded me rather of C3PO in the sense that he was the guy who’d react like most of us probably would in high-stress situations, by running away whimpering. He was always skittish about being put in charge of anything but the operating room, and served as a counter (along with Rodney) to the gung-ho cowboy machismo of the rest of the gang.

The producers claim that the fan outcry (which has been widely accessible for several months now) was much greater than they expected, so much so that it prompted them to reassess the decision for McGillion to leave the show. As a result, they will be producing a few episodes in Season 4 wherein Beckett makes a return … and not a fake return caused by time travel or holograms either. He will supposedly be in the flesh. They aren’t saying how, of course, but the skinny is that McGillion hadn’t chosen to leave the show, but the producers were doing this to really shake up the story. I’m wondering whether they went too far. His death was unpredictable and undramatic, whereas tonight’s episode of SG-1 had me virtually convinced we were about to witness the prolonged and painful demise of Teal’c, who ended up surviving a very deadly fight to the finish. On the contrary, it was Beckett who ended up kicking the bucket, and in an awfully rushed way. Reminds me of how when Tasha Yar or James Kirk died in TNG … completely unexpected and with little relevance or importance to the story.

Next to Shepherd and McKay, Beckett was one of my favorites, and one of the favorites of most fans. I’m not sure what the producers were thinking with this.[/spoiler]

Well fortunately the alternate universes they bop in and out of mean that there are an infinite number of Carsons out there who might stumble into our reality for one reason or another.

Wow, check this out (website, link broken so as not to show through the spoiler)[spoiler]http://www.savecarsonbeckett.com/[/spoiler]

Aww, that’s a shame. We haven’t been able to watch Atlantis in quite a while, but we liked him.

I, too, was very pissed about the “miraculous” win that Teal’c pulled off. I think it would have been much more dramatic to have him get killed, as NOBODY would have expected it. They always could have brought him back with (after the requisite soul-searching) using the Goa’uld coffins – or any of the OTHER dozens of devices that have resurrected characters in the past.

I was… unenthused about the episode. Which sucks, because I love the series very, very much.

They’ll stop laughing at us when my device is finished. I just need some Naquadria.

I’m actually watching Atlantis right now. Sadly, I have no cable and must live with syndicated reruns. I miss Hammond. His performance was textured. You believed that he loved his grand daughter and doted on her, but that he was capable of shooting one of his own men if it was necessary.

And I liked the movie too.

I was accidentally spoiled on this a few weeks ago, so when the big explosion happened at the beginning of the episode, I was expecting Carson to wind up dead. Turns out it was a different (but similar) explosion that did him in, but I wasn’t surprised.
I liked his character well enough and I feel sorry for the actor being let go, but honestly his character is very replaceable. Even though we’ve gotten to know him and his personality a bit, I don’t feel iike I’ll be missing much when they bring someone else in.

My major complaint with this show is that it is WAY too Rodney-centric. He is entertaining in smaller doses, but they keep giving us show after show that focus on Rodney and his ability to save the world (or at least Atlantis) at the last minute after telling us for an hour that it’s impossible. I’d love it if they spent more time on the other ‘major’ characters like Shepard, Teyla and Ronin. Especially Teyla since they haven’t really advanced her character much lately (like, since season 1).

Still, I’m a fan and I’m interested to see what changes will be happening in the rest of this season.

I only get to see this every once in a while in syndication and never the current episodes so I had a bad feeling that this was going to be about something bad happening to my favorite character. I was right.

I just watched the episode and almost immediately came here to see if anyone had posted about this. I was completely shocked. I was most surprised because usually when they do something like this they make it a huge deal. Really play it up or make it like the season finally. This was just totally out of the blue for me. They did it well, but I’m still not happy about it.

I’m still watching, although I’m not sure it is a priority anymore.

This last episode seemed pretty pointless to me. If you are going to kill off a major character, shouldn’t it be to advance the story arc in a major way?

What with the slow, painful death of SG-1, and the current season of Atlantis, it seems to me that the creators/writers of the SG universe have run dry of ideas.

I haven’t seen the episode, but I’ve already been spoiled.

Since it doesn’t seem to have been mentioned yet, I’d like to direct you to here. Interesting.

I really can’t figure out what they’re doing on SG-1. They only have like…what 3 episodes or something left, and they’re piddling around with all these crap episodes. I’m hoping they can end strong…not make us all try and forget the last season of a great show.

With SG-1 I’m confused… what happened to the fantastic Merlin’s weapon they used against the Ori? Seemed like it didn’t do squat.