Different Ways To Pronounce Names Spelled The Same

I was looking for names that are spelled the same way but often pronounced differently.

For example: Beatrice

I have known people who say “BEE-a-trice”.

And I’ve known others say “bee-AT-trice.”

Or Leroy:

I have heard it pronounced “LEE-roy.”

and I’ve heard people say “la-ROY.”

Any other examples. I am looking for general examples, not one time things by some girl or guy who to stupid to say it right. LOL :slight_smile:

The Perfect Master: SEE-sil to Americans, SESS-il to the British
Maurice: Maw-REES in the USA, MAWR-is across the pond
Colin Powell pronounces his first name COE-lin, while my cousin Ron’s son Colin is CAHL-in.

I have two friends named Kaya. One is ‘KAY-uh’ and the other is ‘KAI-uh’. (rhymes with papaya)
Similarly, Leah can be ‘LEE-uh’ or ‘LAY-uh’ and Cara can be ‘CARE-uh’ or ‘CAR-uh’

Shithead. They *swear *“shi-theed” is the only way to pronounce it.

Yeah, now. Wait till little Shithead starts school. :smiley:

Really? I have an uncle Maurice who pronounces it “MORE-iss”. I’ve met others as well.
Could be a Maine/New England thing.

My contribution: Caroline. Sometimes CarolINE, sometimes CarolIN.

Jimmy Carter was on Paula Deen’s show once. He was talking about pecans, pecan pie. He said it gets pronounced 4 different ways:

PEE-can
PEE-kahn
pee-CAN
PEEK-an

Andrea is a good one. I have known it to be ANN-drea, AHN-drea, and Ahn-DREA

Lana: Lah-na or Lay-na, the same goes for Alana

Alyssa: AH- lissah, Ah- lee-sha, or Ay-lissah, I’ve heard all three and can never keep them straight.

Elaine = Eelayne or schwa-layne

In real life my name is Ralph.

I can count the number of people who ask me upon first contact (having seen it written down previously) which pronunciation I use in single digits.

For the record, it’s a silent L.

Anthony.

ANT-uhnee in the UK
ANTH-uhnee in OZ

Craig

= kray-g in the Commonwealth

= kreg in the US of A, I believe.

There is a street here called “Maria”. Apparently people pronounce it “Mariah”. I’ve no idea why, and I refuse to participate.

Wacky Minnesotans and their ridiculous verbal quirks. I have got to get the hell out of here.

Rhiannon is one.

Some people say REE-uh-nin
Others say Ree-ANN-on
I’d say Ree-ANN-in

Geoffrey

JEFFree, which I insist is correct
JOFFree, maybe British, but one Brit I know of that name also uses the first one.

Then, some idiots say GODfree. I know I am godlike, but cheech, where do they see the “d?”

Blasphemy! I am not a princess from a galaxy far far away, nor do I have buns on my head. Her name is spelled “Leia.”

My ex mother in law was Bee-triss.

How do you pronounce it, Rouf?

My ex father in law was called Ralf with the L.

I haven’t seen Beatrice and Ralph in years, I ought to stop by to see what they are up to.

[QUOTE=racer72]

How do you pronounce it, Rouf? /QUOTE]

R long a f silent e.
Rafe is probably the best phonetic rendition. Think of the AL in words like walk and talk, you don’t pronounce the L there (at least in most every dialect I’ve heard).

Helena = Hellenna or Heleena or Helayna

All those pronunciations, and not one is correct. :wink:

It’s puh-CAHN.

As for that first pronunciation, my dad always said that was something country folk used to keep under their beds at night and emptied every morning. :smiley: