What's Opera, Doc? turns 50. What's your favorite Bugs?

According to Wiki, it was released July 6, 1957. One of the all time great Loonie Tunes, if you ask me. But my very favorite Bugs Bunny cartoon hardly ever gets mentioned as a greatest hit. I don’t even know the name of it. Bugs is sleeping and floats into a haunted mansion, finds a witch, does a monster’s hair and says, “Nighty night” as he floats back to his rabbit hole.

Watch What’s Opera, Doc? here.

A little googling turns up Water, Water Every Hare as the cartoon I love but I couldn’t name.

The one where he made the wrong turn in Albuquerque and ends up bullfighting in Mexico or someplace. I especially loved it as a kid when the bull swallowed the rifle and could shoot from his horns.

Was he trying to get to Pismo Beach? Alburquerque pronounced “Albakoikee”.

I cannot pin it down to a specific episode, but it would definitely be one of the WWII-vintage ones.

I think you’re conflating a couple of different cartoons…the one where he does the monster’s hair is Water, Water Every Hare.

Witch Hazel has appeared in several Bugs Bunny cartoons: Bewitched Bunny, which is a retelling of Hansel and Gretel and takes place in a tiny little house, Broom-stick Bunny, which is the one where Bugs is trick-or-treating as a witch and knocks on Hazel’s door, and A Witch’s Twisted Hare, which has Macbeth as its setting.

In his book, The Encyclopedia of Movie Awards, former AOL Movie Guy Michael Gebert ends each year’s worth of Oscars, Golden Globes, and Palm D’Ors with his own opinions of that year’s best cinematic offerings. Mostly, his opinions are quite sober, erudite, and cosmopolitan.

For 1957, the Gebert Golden Armchair award for Best Picture goes to What’s Opera, Doc? He refers to it as “the greatest cartoon ever made”.

I am hard-pressed to find a point of disagreement

It has to be The Rabbit of Seville for me.

Yes, you’re next! You’re…so next!

“Whaaaat would you waaant with a wabbit?
Caaaan’t you see that I’m much sweeter?
I’m your little senoriter…”

Actually, that’s from What’s Opera Doc?, not Rabbit of Seville

No, it’s from Rabbit of Seville. Why would a cartoon about a Wagner opera talk about a “senoriter”?

My bad. I remembered Bugs singing that with a horned helmet on.

Correct. I’ve got the soundtrack to “Bug Bunny on Broadway”.

There is not a whole lot of singing in Rabbit of Seville, but the “senoriter” lines is one of the few. The lines goes on to: "You are my type of guy, let me straighten your tie and I shall dance for you… " <scissors come out, snip-snip-snip-snip-snip>

I had a Looney Tunes special on tape. It was Bugs walking through his mansion, talking about various characters, each accompanied by a cartoon of that character. It’s cheating, but that special is the best one ever. It’s got every great Looney Tunes cartoon all wrapped up in one.
Ah. Found it. It’s called The Great American Chase.
Edited again to add: Wow, that was released two years before I was born. All you…feel old now.

While I love “What’s Opera Doc?” I do think I love “Tortoise Wins by a Hare,” “Cheese Chasers” and “Scared Cat” a little bit more.

What’s Opera Doc? is one of only four Warner Bros. cartoons preserved for all time in the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress- the other three are Duck Amuck, One Froggy Evening, and Porky in Wackyland.

Bugs Bunny’s birthday is considered to be July 27, the date on which A Wild Hare, considered to be the first “true” Bugs Bunny cartoon, was released in 1940. (A prototypical Bugs had appeared in a few cartoons before then, evolving from a goofy cross between Daffy Duck and Woody Woodpecker to a more laid-back, smart-alecy type before becoming the Bugs we all know and love.) So even though we’re jumping the gun a bit, this is a good time for a Bugs Bunny thread.

As a music buff, I think my favorite would have to be Rhapsody Rabbit. Yes, the plot is very similar to MGM’s The Cat Concerto (which it lost the Oscar to that year), but each cartoon has its own unique plays on the “frustrated pianist” idea, which show how different Bugs’s personality is from Tom and Jerry’s.

Another one of my all time favorites is the one with the gremlin.

*HEE HAA HOO!
HEE HAA HOO!

Well, whattdoyaknow. Air brakes!*

Ooh, that reminded me of the first Mavin Martian one. Another for the top 10.

Crunchy Munchies are the best.
Look delicious on your vest.
Feed them to unwanted guests.
Stuff the mattress with the rest.

I like him. He’s silly.

If memory serves, there were two versions of that gremlin one (or two cartoons that were very similar). In the other version, the final punchline was, “We ran out of gas.”

I’d pick “Ali Baba Bunny” as my all time favorite. But “Bully for Bugs”, “Hare Brush”, “Rabbit of Seville”, the two Tortoise shorts and the Hunting trilogy are all great.