The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 10-19-2000, 06:50 PM

My husband is one of those people that can sense, see, feel and/or hear Ghosts, it depends on whether they want to be know. Sometimes this freaks me out, like when we are driving down the road, and he says someone DIED there, and I asked why and he said, because there is some guy standing in the middle of the road over there. Other times, when he lived in an OLD house, there was the spirit of a Jamacian Witch Doctor, that used to mess with him and his (then) girlfriend. It seemed that that one disliked the part of them being "together" whenever they were both around, and not fighting, is when she would mess with them. But if one person were home and not the other or they were fighting, she didnt bother them.

Halloween Approching 'n all. . .
So to the story part
Lets see if we cant get a few of you guys to respond with ghost story that happened to you, or a friend.

If you arent Psychotic, I mean Psychic, I always get those confused, tell us a good ghost story that you have heard.
Old 10-20-2000, 09:29 AM

I would recommend checking these threads. They should keep you busy for a while.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...threadid=38440
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...threadid=25734

And welcome to the boards.

"Actions will soon be taken," President Bush announced to the press, "This is our enemy’s final chance. After today, they can talk to the cruise missiles, and the cruise missiles are not good conversationalists. They are prone to constant interruptions, often brash in their language, and are poor listeners. Plus, they incinerate you." - George W. Bush

"If other countries wanted their opinions to matter, they shouldn't be so small and weak." - Ari Fleischer
Old 10-20-2000, 09:48 AM

Hello Mandi, pardon my asking, but where did I see your name mentioned? Are you one of the Rosiewolf/idnew/wardensu clan?

Please say no.

If you are not, HEY!! welcome!!
and if you are, my sympathies.
Old 10-20-2000, 11:43 AM

Quote:
My husband is one of those people that can sense, see, feel and/or hear Ghosts ...
Rrriiiiiiiiight.
Old 10-20-2000, 11:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I wasn't going to come in here, but I HATE seeing Unc and David B and all the rest of the skeptics tramping all over everyone's fun. Goddamn Poindexters probably spoiled all those great spooky campfire tales when they were kids, too.

Harrumph.

{gazes into the embers of the great fireplace in the west wall of the smoking room of the Straight Dope Club. Adjusts the cuffs of his tweed suit}

I'd be happy to share the tales of some of my, ahem, supernatural exploits with you, my dear. Unfortunately, it's thirsty work, and my glass appears to be, er, empty at present.

Why, yes, a large Glenfarclas-Glenlivet would be most welcome.
Old 10-20-2000, 12:09 PM

[hijack[

Does anyone remember a ghost story where a woman tells a new neighbor all about her relatives who go off hunting with a dog and never come back, but she hears the tune they whistled some days. Then when the very much alive hunters come sauntering up, the man runs away screaming. It turns out to be a joke she plays regularly.

I know this makes no sense, but maybe someone will remember. We used to listen to it on record in the dark on Halloween...eek

[/hijack]
Old 10-20-2000, 12:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Saki. "The Open Window."
Old 10-20-2000, 12:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

"...romance at short notice was her specialty."
Old 10-20-2000, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Goddamn Poindexters probably spoiled all those great spooky campfire tales when they were kids, too.
Naw, we just scared each other with tales of Newtonian fluids, Pythagorean theorems and omniscient deities. You tell me which is more frightening, our stories, or your namby-pamby, chain-rattling ghosts that you can walk right through?
Old 10-20-2000, 12:45 PM

Well I am glad you all took this seriously.

Yes I am new, but I am waiting for my friend to intoduce me properly.

No KelliBelli, I dont know of the whatever clan you are talking about so you can be relieved of that.

Hey Beer, my hubbie can sense ghosts, just because YOU dont it doesnt me it doesnt happen to other people, dont be such a pessimist.
Old 10-20-2000, 12:49 PM

Cool! Love the username BTW!!
Old 10-20-2000, 12:58 PM

Thanks Kel, I figured while I was here on this board thats what you guys were going to get a little insight about!
Old 10-20-2000, 02:21 PM

Thanks very much, Mr. Ike!

Now I can read it at Halloween with a flashlight under my chin!
Old 10-20-2000, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Hey Beer, my hubbie can sense ghosts, just because YOU dont it doesnt me it doesnt happen to other people, dont be such a pessimist.
And which one of his five senses would he use to detect ghosts? Please choose one or more from the list below.[list=1][*]Sight[*]Hearing[*]Smell[*]Touch[*]Taste[/list=1]
Now, that you've made you selection(s), please explain to me how your husband's sense(s) works differently than most people's.

When you (or science) can explain the function of this phenomenon, I'll consider believing it. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2000, 04:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

C'mon, UncaBeer, just 'cause YOU can't see 'em...come on, sing with me the old John Entwhistle ditty...

[i]Whiskey Man's my friend
He's with me nearly all the time.
He's always with me when I drink
And we get on just fine.
Nobody had ever seen him
I'm the only one.
Seemingly I must be mad;
Insanity is fun!
Old 10-20-2000, 04:25 PM

Sheesh, Uncle Beer, didn't you see Sixth Sense? Obviously, this guy is waiting for Bruce Willis to show up and start analyzing him.

"You, dear Dave, are a God."
Persephone (in a private e-mail)
Old 10-20-2000, 04:39 PM

Well, uncle beer, Mike, mandi'd husband, can see and feel ghosts around him. In some cases he can feel their presence and not be able to fully describe the spirit that is around him. In some cases he can actually see the ghosts themselves. It has happened while going down roads, he sees an apparition of a person. It kinda scares the crap out of him, and he doesn't like to dwell or look at the "ghosts" he is seeing. Mandi could probly explain it a bit better.
Old 10-20-2000, 06:21 PM

Then steps in Unclebeer to tell someone they are foolish for believing what they do. Good job Unclebeer!
Old 10-23-2000, 10:24 AM

Well, no. I never said anyone was foolish for believing in ghosts. I'm merely asking for proof of their existence. I wanna know how other peoples' senses function differently than mine. Please, you show me where I said anyone's beliefs are silly.

[Edited by UncleBeer on 10-23-2000 at 10:26 AM]
Old 10-23-2000, 02:26 PM

Like Tuba Girl said, he can sometimes Hear them, See them, just feel the presence around them, touch them, Must I go on?

Unc Why do you have to be a party Pooper????

I mean really its kinda freaky to me, Everytime we drive by the graveyard thats by our house I get freaked out and I dont even sense them. When we first moved there he got this feeling when we went by, but now that he has been my there a million times he has just gotten used to it.

And Again thats whats so wierd about Ghosts n things of that sort is that SCIENCE cannot prove it. I mean really there are alot of things you belive in that you cannot see:

Pluto, have you ever seen it, no, but you belive its out there orbiting.

Air, etc., can you see the different molecules of Hydrogen, Oxygen etc? NO but you belive in Protons, Neutrons and electons dont you?
Old 10-23-2000, 02:41 PM

Quote:
NO but you belive in Protons, Neutrons and electons dont you?
Go to http://www.xmission.com/~dparker/partons.html#PARTONS

Click on "Probing the Proton".

It's measurable. It's been measured. It's therefore provable.

Now, don't get me wrong - I do in fact believe in ghosts. I'm also considered a ditz in many circles.

BUT - in fairness, you can't compare the two.

(And no, before anyone goes hypersensitive on me, I wasn't claiming anyone here but myself was a ditz.)
Old 10-23-2000, 03:53 PM

Okay, so now I'm assured that your husband can not only see ghosts, he can hear them, too. And since you've only answered my first question, yes, please go on. I'd really like to know what makes your husband's sense organs work differently than mine.

And I'm not a party pooper; I'm a skeptic. I'm also looking to relieve my ignorance. Nothing in the science I've studied, says ghosts, or other paranormal phenomena is possible, yet you assure me it is. I just want it explained to me where the science I learned is flawed.
Old 10-23-2000, 04:19 PM

OK so the same way my eyesight is better than yours, or I am deaf, huh? and cant hear so well

Everyone is made is made different thanks to our creator, no one is indeed alike another in all aspects.

Although I cannot explain why he can sense ghosts, or anything else, the same feeling you have that someone is watching you, or that your two year old is up to something he should be.

All I am telling you is that he can, its unexplainable, so where science leaves off, maybe it does for a reason.

I cannot tell you the feeling someone has when they have sex, ace a test or see a ghost. No one in the world can know exactly how you feel, because they are your own feelings. Yours and Yours ONLY, as much as you would try to describe them to someone else, they are not in your body feeling what you feel.

Feelings aren't right or wrong they just ARE.

And I know protons, etc. are real but you cant see them with your naked eye, so thats the point i was trying to get across. That you are beliving in something you cannot see.
Old 10-23-2000, 04:45 PM

But again, nuclear particles, the existence of pluto and such can be hypothesized and tested. So far, all tests say the hypotheses are true.

The differences in degrees of visual acuity are easily testable and quantifiable. There are no provable, or even reliably testable, theories for sensing the existence of ghosts. And feelings have nothing to do with scientific reality.

So, to sum this up, all I have as a basis for the belief of the existence of ghosts is your assurances that your husband can indeed sense them. It's logic like this that causes things like the Salem Witch Trials. I'll stick with my skepticism, thanks.
Old 10-23-2000, 05:08 PM

SCIENTIFICALLY it cannot be proved unless maybe you have two people that cna sense ghosts that are scientists, and even if they both can, they probably dont sense them in the same way.

Even if they could, YOU wouldnt believe that skeptic!

So its no big deal you cant sense ghosts but do you have to ruin it for everyone else. It doesnt matter because I know and thats all that matter. It is not my intention to make you belive in ghosts, etc. But all I wanted you to do is see my point but since you are being so close minded it doesnt really matter what I would say?

DO you believe in Aliens?? Thats a whole different story now isnt it.
Old 10-23-2000, 05:18 PM

I'm not being close minded. I said
Quote:
When you (or science) can explain the function of this phenomenon, I'll consider believing it. Thanks.
Aliens? Yep. That's a different story entirely. But the same tests stand. If you can offer scientific proof I'll, consider accepting the existence of them also.

Additionally, I'm not ruining anything for anyone. I just stated my current beliefs and the conditions it'd take to change those beliefs. If my statement ruins it for believers, then why does your statement not ruin it for non-believers?
Old 10-23-2000, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mandi's Mind 101
Like Tuba Girl said, he can sometimes Hear them, See them, just feel the presence around them, touch them, Must I go on?
Does he have sex with them? I hear them ghosts are very horny.
Old 10-24-2000, 12:22 AM

It is somewhat possible to prove or disprove the existence of ghosts.

Okay, I'm sort of exaggerating, so let me rephrase it:

It's possible to get evidence that supports their existence:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mandi's Mind 101
I mean really its kinda freaky to me, Everytime we drive by the graveyard thats by our house I get freaked out and I dont even sense them. When we first moved there he got this feeling when we went by, but now that he has been my there a million times he has just gotten used to it.
With that statement, it IS possible to measure feelings, despite the fact that you claim feelings are not measurable.

Hear me out...

What if your husband was sitting in the backseat blindfolded, and you were driving around? If you drove by the graveyard and he said he felt something, without being able to see anything, and then said he stopped feeling it when you left the graveyard, at a consistent rate, then that supports (but by no means proves) the idea that ghosts may exist and that your husband is sensing something.

Then again, even then you could achieve those results a few different says:

1) It could be coincidental,

2) He could have a sensitive equilibrium, to the point where he could sense when he is in a particular location,

3) He might be feeling some kind of electromagnetic field from a nearby power source (far-fetched, but still more likely that ghosts)...or

4) There actually are ghosts.

As unlikely as it sounds, there is some way to scientifically support (but not necessarily prove) the existence of supernatural entities.
Old 10-24-2000, 12:55 AM
Charter Member

Mandi,

If I were to disbelieve everything I've read or heard about based upon the condition that I haven't seen it for myself, I'd probably have to conclude that Eskimos don't exist and the entire continent of Africa is a figment of people's imagination.
Ultimately, I do have to accept things I can't see. I trust that there's hydrogen in the air because respected scientists tell me it's so. I do believe the earth is round because astronauts have gazed upon the entire surface and confirmed it is so. I've never met George Washington personally, but I'd say it's a fairly safe bet he was alive at one point in time.

Likewise, I don't believe that gays, drug users, and promiscuous women are going to hell just because some overzealous preacher says it is so. I also don't believe that ghosts are on Earth merely because your husband believes they are.

You want to believe in ghosts, go ahead. I'm not going to stop you. I wouldn't even know where to try.

and, also, since you asked...

I do believe in aliens. There is LIFE on other planets. Intelligent life? Well, I think that will the trillions upon trillions of stars, and the billions upon billions of planets around those stars, and the millions upon millions of planets suitable for habitation, that yes. There MUST be intelligent life elsewhere. Have they come to Earth? I dunno. Doubtful. But then again, anything's possible. Even ghosts.
Old 10-24-2000, 03:38 AM

I believe it was Ernie Hudson in Ghostbusters who said something like..."I've seen stuff that would turn your SHIT white!!!"

Be skeptical if you want, but don't be condescending. Mandi and her husband honestly believe he can sense ghosts. Maybe he can. I've seen some seriously weird stuff in my time, and ghosts are as good an explanation as any for some of it.

BTW - this was supposed to be a ghost stories thread, not a "prove to me that ghosts exist because I think you're smoking something" thread. UncleBeer, you are being kinda closed-minded, and you're also being kinda mean to a new poster who was brave enough to start her own thread. You don't believe in them. She does. Neither of you is going to convince the other, so let it drop and let's post some spooky stories. Or even better, spooky experiences.
Old 10-24-2000, 06:27 AM

Fair enough, Mr. Kilt. I'll keep my opinions on this topic confined to GD or GQ for the duration. Mandi, I apologize if you feel persecuted or harassed by my posts. Carry on.
Old 10-24-2000, 07:11 AM

Out of curiosity, Mandi, have you or your husband done any testing of his ghosts? For instance, after he sees one, and says "Someone died here" have you gone to the library and checked newspaper accounts to see if anyone DID die there? This is the type of thing I'd do if I ever saw a ghost. Or was with someone who saw a ghost. Which leads me to my new sig...
Old 10-24-2000, 08:00 AM

I used to know this guy who was insistent that he was gonna score with chicks using this lame, "I can sense ghosts" shee-it. I told him no way he'd find anyone gullible enough to fall for that line. Wonder how he's doing?
Old 10-24-2000, 08:49 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm doin' GREAT, Dinsdale! The Goth chicks all eat it up, if you get my meaning. Want to see the "notches on my holster" ? {insert smilie here}
Old 10-24-2000, 10:22 AM
BANNED

My girlfriend is one of those people that can sense, see, feel and/or hear 'big blue half-men half-ape spidermen', it depends on whether they want to be known. Sometimes this freaks me out, like when we are driving down the road, and she says someone Once SET HIMSELF ON FIRE there, and I asked why and she said, because there is a match in the middle of the road over there. Other times, when she lived in an OLD house, there was the spirit of an EGYPTIAN SLAVE DRIVER, that used to mess with her and her (then) boyfriend. It seemed that that one disliked the part of them being "together" whenever they were both around, and not fighting, is when she would mess with them. But if one person were home and not the other or they were fighting, she didnt bother them.

*ahem*

Excuse my sarcasm.
Excuse my skepticism.
Old 10-24-2000, 10:35 AM
BANNED

Mindi, I got a question for you.

In your opinion, are ghosts absolutely positively 100% real?
Old 10-26-2000, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MadHatter
My girlfriend is one of those people that can sense, see, feel and/or hear 'big blue half-men half-ape spidermen', it depends on whether they want to be known. Sometimes this freaks me out, like when we are driving down the road, and she says someone Once SET HIMSELF ON FIRE there, and I asked why and she said, because there is a match in the middle of the road over there. Other times, when she lived in an OLD house, there was the spirit of an EGYPTIAN SLAVE DRIVER, that used to mess with her and her (then) boyfriend. It seemed that that one disliked the part of them being "together" whenever they were both around, and not fighting, is when she would mess with them. But if one person were home and not the other or they were fighting, she didnt bother them.

Ok after being offline for a day or two and coming back to read what you all have wrote in my absence. THANK YOU
For this one I havent Laughed that Hard in a long time, just to let you know NONE of this offended me I am just gettin opinions etc.

Even you UNCLEBEER.

THIS WAS FUNNY SHE-OT
Old 10-26-2000, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kilt-wearin' man
BTW - this was supposed to be a ghost stories thread, not a "prove to me that ghosts exist because I think you're smoking something" thread. UncleBeer, you are being kinda closed-minded, and you're also being kinda mean to a new poster who was brave enough to start her own thread. You don't believe in them. She does. Neither of you is going to convince the other, so let it drop and let's post some spooky stories. Or even better, spooky experiences.

AND THANKS!!!!
Old 10-26-2000, 11:10 PM

Is it possible your husband is uh, lying to you? Some people do things like that, ya'know.