The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Wee Bairn Wee Bairn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Biafra
Posts: 5,734
Do the (Hey) "Mickey" lyrics contain an offer of anal sex?

In his guide book of 80's albums, critic Robert Christgau has this comment:

"The only woman ever to offer to take it up the ass on top 40 radio (close your eyes and really concentrate on "Mickey" if you don't believe me)..."

The specific lyric in question (previous lines you could read into it, maybe, this is the one that seems most blatant)-

So come on and give it to me anyway you can
Anyway you want to do it, I'll take it like a man
Oh please baby, please don't leave me in this jam Mickey.


I have never heard of this theory and was wondeing if this is a common belief among those who analyze Toni Basil lyrics?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 08-16-2007, 11:32 PM
B. Serum B. Serum is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 2,825
"…take it like a man…" is the damning proof? Please. Christgau is on crack.

The song was originally written from a man's perspective to a woman. The title changed from "Kitty" to "Mickey."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Diogenes the Cynic Diogenes the Cynic is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 58,797
If I'd have known she was offering anal, I'd have enjoyed that video more.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-16-2007, 11:56 PM
Cervaise Cervaise is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
That's not all. Consider this verse:

Cause when you say you will, it always means you won't
You're givin' me the chills, baby, please baby don't
Every night you still leave me all alone, Mickey


If you read carefully, you will see that the singer is acknowledging multiple personality disorder by directly addressing one of her other personalities, named Mickey. Alternate personalities are known for being contrary to the "prime" or central personality, as expressed in the first line; when "Mickey" promises to engage in some behavior, this can be assumed to mean that he will either renege on the promise, or do the opposite. "You're giving me the chills" refers to the well-known side effects of psychoactive medications commonly prescribed to control this condition; the singer blames the shivering sensations caused by the medication on Mickey's presence. And, of course, whenever the singer sleeps, the other personalities, which are constructs of her conscious mind, fade into the background, leaving the prime personality isolated: Mickey "leaves her alone."

So if you combine that piece of information with the knowledge that the singer wants Mickey to buttfuck her, well, obviously this is a much more complicated song than most people realize.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 AM
The Hamster King The Hamster King is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
I have never heard of this theory and was wondeing if this is a common belief among those who analyze Toni Basil lyrics?
It seems pretty obvious that that's exactly what she means. At least that's what I assumed when I first heard the song back in the 80's. "She Bop" is about masturbation, and "Mickey" is about anal sex.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Freudian Slit Freudian Slit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Googling "She bop" and "masturbation" gets a lot more relevant hits than "Hey Mickey" and "anal."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-17-2007, 12:39 AM
panamajack panamajack is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
If Wikipedia is to be trusted, Toni Basil was born in 1943.

She's just a few months younger than my mom.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-17-2007, 12:57 AM
devilsknew devilsknew is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Black Swamp
Posts: 9,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervaise
That's not all. Consider this verse:

Cause when you say you will, it always means you won't
You're givin' me the chills, baby, please baby don't
Every night you still leave me all alone, Mickey


If you read carefully, you will see that the singer is acknowledging multiple personality disorder by directly addressing one of her other personalities, named Mickey. Alternate personalities are known for being contrary to the "prime" or central personality, as expressed in the first line; when "Mickey" promises to engage in some behavior, this can be assumed to mean that he will either renege on the promise, or do the opposite. "You're giving me the chills" refers to the well-known side effects of psychoactive medications commonly prescribed to control this condition; the singer blames the shivering sensations caused by the medication on Mickey's presence. And, of course, whenever the singer sleeps, the other personalities, which are constructs of her conscious mind, fade into the background, leaving the prime personality isolated: Mickey "leaves her alone."

So if you combine that piece of information with the knowledge that the singer wants Mickey to buttfuck her, well, obviously this is a much more complicated song than most people realize.
Yahoo! Buttfucking Freud!

You crack me up!

Last edited by devilsknew; 08-17-2007 at 12:58 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-17-2007, 01:24 AM
GuanoLad GuanoLad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 19,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic
If I'd have known she was offering anal, I'd have enjoyed that video more.
You can't get maximum enjoyment out of that video already?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 59,054
I've always maintained that the female singer has a crush on Mickey, who is actually gay. It would explain why the singer wants Mickey but can't have him. She calls him "pretty" which is an unusual term to apply to a boy. There are suggestions that there's something different about Mickey ("It's guys like you") and that he's oblivious to this girl who's attracted to him ("what a pity you don't understand"). And of course this would explain her offer to "take it like a man".



Okay, in reality, I know the real truth is what Brad posted - the song had the genders changed from its original version.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-17-2007, 01:55 AM
The Hamster King The Hamster King is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack
If Wikipedia is to be trusted, Toni Basil was born in 1943.
As I pointed out in the Easy Rider thread, Toni was one of the New Orleans whores in Easy Rider ... .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-17-2007, 05:19 AM
FriarTed FriarTed is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: IN USA
Posts: 12,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknew
Buttfucking Freud!
Band name!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-17-2007, 05:21 AM
FriarTed FriarTed is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: IN USA
Posts: 12,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pochacco
As I pointed out in the Easy Rider thread, Toni was one of the New Orleans whores in Easy Rider ... .
She is also the hot redhead dancer the normal teens send to distract the teen giants in VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS- the finest movie to include her, Suzanne Somers, Beau Bridges, AND little Ronnie Howard in the cast.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Trunk Trunk is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Wasn't "Puff The Magic Dragon" about anal sex?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-17-2007, 07:02 AM
Wee Bairn Wee Bairn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Biafra
Posts: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack
If Wikipedia is to be trusted, Toni Basil was born in 1943.

She's just a few months younger than my mom.
I believe it. IIRC at the time she did much to hide the fact that she was almost 40 when Mickey was released- my one hit wonders book gives her birth year as 1950, which is almost impossible as she is credited with working on the TAMI Show in 1964.

I do recall her beding over in the "Mickey" video at least once, but not sure if it was while singing the verse in question.

Also the song was written by the legendary UK writing team of Chapman/Chinn, and orignally done by Racey as "Kitty" as noted above and the two songs sound pretty much the same.

IMDB says she appeared on SNL during the 1975 season- does anyone know under what context?

Last edited by Wee Bairn; 08-17-2007 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Wasn't "Puff The Magic Dragon" about anal sex?
Nah. That was about pot.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-17-2007, 08:08 AM
Slithy Tove Slithy Tove is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
In his guide book of 80's albums, critic Robert Christgau has this comment:

"The only woman ever to offer to take it up the ass on top 40 radio ..."
(bolding mine) "only" is saved by "offer," since Debra Harry seems to have lamented doing so in "Heart of Glass," omitting which party's idea it had originally been.


(why should Robert Christgau be the only one who's reach exceeds his grasp here?)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Wee Bairn Wee Bairn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Biafra
Posts: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithy Tove
(bolding mine) "only" is saved by "offer," since Debra Harry seems to have lamented doing so in "Heart of Glass," omitting which party's idea it had originally been.


(why should Robert Christgau be the only one who's reach exceeds his grasp here?)
Debbie, if sex is a pain the ass, you're doing it the wrong way
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Lemur866 Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 16,986
Look, if this freaks you out, you really, really don't want to hear the real story behind "Peggy Sue".
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Thudlow Boink Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 18,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic
If I'd have known she was offering anal, I'd have enjoyed that video more.
They wanted to make it explicit in the video, but Disney would have sued.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-17-2007, 11:11 AM
mazinger_z mazinger_z is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866
Look, if this freaks you out, you really, really don't want to hear the real story behind "Peggy Sue".
Oh, I do, I do...it was my older sister's favorite song growing up.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-17-2007, 11:24 AM
saoirse saoirse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
I always understood "take it like a man," when used regarding a woman, to refer to anal sex, either directly, like in porn, or as a double-entendre.

My understanding of the song was that it was about a a teenage boy named Mickey and a somewhat scary crazy middle-aged woman who wanted to dress up like a high school cheerleader and get a tap in the shitter. In retrospect, I may have been reading too much into it.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-17-2007, 12:11 PM
AskNott AskNott is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Anderson, IN,USA
Posts: 14,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
...
I do recall her bending over in the "Mickey" video at least once, but not sure if it was while singing the verse in question.
No, she bent over a few times, and once flounced her ass toward the camera, but not during the "take it like a man" part. She sort of hugged herself for that.

I went to YouTube to find the original vid, and I wish I hadn't. It was every bit as annoying as it was when new.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 PM
tremorviolet tremorviolet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed
VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS- the finest movie to include her, Suzanne Somers, Beau Bridges, AND little Ronnie Howard in the cast.

There were other lesser movies featuring Toni Basil, Suzanne Somers, Beau Bridges, and Ron Howard?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Wonderwall6129 Wonderwall6129 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th
Nah. That was about pot.
"are you a pothead, Focker?" ahahah...love Meet The Parents.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Drunky Smurf Drunky Smurf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th
Nah. That was about pot.
I always thought it was about opium.

And I too would like to hear about Peggy Sue.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Freudian Slit Freudian Slit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
I thought Lemur was kidding. If there IS a story behind Peggy Sue, I, too, would like to hear.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Don Draper Don Draper is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
This is all very interesting...but can anyeone tell me exactly how a guy could be "turning Japanese" to me?


(kiddin'.)

Last edited by Don Draper; 08-17-2007 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-17-2007, 02:01 PM
cher3 cher3 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
According to Wikipedia, "Mickey" was a cover of a song originally titled "Kitty." So some of the oddities may just be a result of changing the name/sex of the person addressed without changing any of the other words.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Wee Bairn Wee Bairn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Biafra
Posts: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by cher3
According to Wikipedia, "Mickey" was a cover of a song originally titled "Kitty." So some of the oddities may just be a result of changing the name/sex of the person addressed without changing any of the other words.
I don't have the best of Racey on hand, and Amazon has only a 30 second clip, but I assume due to the gender change the originaly lyric couldn't conceivably have the "take it like a man" part, which means even if that was not the original intent, perhaps whoever changed them added the anal angle.

Last edited by Wee Bairn; 08-17-2007 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Freudian Slit Freudian Slit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
I don't have the best of Racey on hand, and Amazon has only a 30 second clip, but I assume due to the gender change the originaly lyric couldn't conceivably have the "take it like a man" part, which means even if that was not the original intent, perhaps whoever changed them added the anal angle.
Why couldn't the original lyrics have had "Take it like a man"? A male person can still said to take something like a man--i.e., being tough/not a "wuss."
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-17-2007, 02:44 PM
stanger stanger is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I always heard the lyrics as, "I'll treat you like a man."

Makes more sense to me.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Wee Bairn Wee Bairn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Biafra
Posts: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoggie
Why couldn't the original lyrics have had "Take it like a man"? A male person can still said to take something like a man--i.e., being tough/not a "wuss."
You're right, good point.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-17-2007, 03:05 PM
mr. jp mr. jp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Just to make it clear, Puff the Magic Dragon, is about an imaginary dragon called Puff, and not drugs. I think some of you guys are whooshing, but I dunno if you all are.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-17-2007, 03:13 PM
CaerieD CaerieD is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
After a bit of searching, I found the video on YouTube (SFW, if you're actually allowed to watch music videos at work) and I'm deeply disturbed. There does appear to be a whole lot of bending over and emphasis on Toni Basil's backside. It's definitely implying something sexual, judging by the gesturing and body movements, but I'm left with two questions:
  • Was that sort of "dancing" (or as I like to call it "twitching") normal for the 1980s?
  • Why is somebody's mother wearing a cheerleader's outfit?

I don't think the lyrics were originally meant to mean anything sexual at all, but it definitely appears this interpretation is going for something risqué.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Lemur866 Lemur866 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Middle of Puget Sound
Posts: 16,986
OK, Peggy Sue. Geez, I guess the term "pegging" doesn't have as wide a user base as I thought.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Freudian Slit Freudian Slit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Thanks to my recent forays into Dan Savage's column, I actually get that!

I'm watching the youtube video now. It does seem sexual. Though oddly, it's so much more conservative (attire, dance) in what it shows. Short skirts, but not very revealing on top. No cleavage or belly being flashed by any of them. This would look so different if they were doing it today. Music videos--you've come a long way, baby. (That is, do they ever make them/show them on TV anymore?)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Duke of Rat Duke of Rat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoggie
I'm watching the youtube video now. It does seem sexual. Though oddly, it's so much more conservative (attire, dance) in what it shows. Short skirts, but not very revealing on top. No cleavage or belly being flashed by any of them. This would look so different if they were doing it today. )
Other than the fact that the back-up cheerleaders look vaugely manish...or maybe the East German Women's Wrestling Team. Seriously, them's some fugly cheerleaders.

Last edited by Duke of Rat; 08-17-2007 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-17-2007, 04:34 PM
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Even sadder is that her uniform was her own actual high school cheerleader outfit.

Egggggh.

(But she'll always be one of the hitchhikers in "5 Easy Pieces" to me. Remember the diner scene?)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Mister Rik Mister Rik is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The bunghole of WA
Posts: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack
If Wikipedia is to be trusted, Toni Basil was born in 1943.

She's just a few months younger than my mom.
A few months older than mine, something I didn't realize when this song came out while I was in high school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Rat
Other than the fact that the back-up cheerleaders look vaugely manish...or maybe the East German Women's Wrestling Team. Seriously, them's some fugly cheerleaders.
Clearly, somebody in casting screwed up and hired a flag team instead of a cheerleading squad.

(Old joke: Q: Why does <insert rival college football stadium name here> have artificial turf? A: So the flag team doesn't graze.)

Last edited by Phase42; 08-17-2007 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Shoeless Shoeless is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Sunflower State
Posts: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
The specific lyric in question (previous lines you could read into it, maybe, this is the one that seems most blatant)-

So come on and give it to me anyway you can
Anyway you want to do it, I'll take it like a man
Oh please baby, please don't leave me in this jam Mickey.
It's not nearly as blatant as Derek and the Dominos' "Roll It Over":

Roll it over
Let's take it from behind
It's only love
God knows it ain't no crime
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Cervaise Cervaise is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
So what does that say about "Roll Over Beethoven"?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-17-2007, 08:33 PM
bienville bienville is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Count me as another who'll maintain that just because a particular double entendre may not have been the intent of the writer, doesn't mean that that particular double entendre can't be delivered by the performer. In fact, being able to have the writer's intent as "proof" that there's nothing dirty going on can be used as a defense when being accused of having something dirty going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
I believe it. IIRC at the time she did much to hide the fact that she was almost 40 when Mickey was released- my one hit wonders book gives her birth year as 1950, which is almost impossible as she is credited with working on the TAMI Show in 1964.
Yeah, she was older than typical for having a debut hit as a pop star- and she had been in the biz for a while.

In the 1968 film Head she choreographed this piece which she dances with Davy Jones, a great Harry Nilsson song- my favorite Davy Jones performance (I'm a Monkees fan, but Davy was never my favorite). Toni Basil is major super cute in this!

This may have influenced her casting in Easy Rider (Dennis Hopper worked on Head, Jack Nicholson co-wrote the screenplay) as well as her casting in Five Easy Pieces (directed by Bob Rafelson, who directed Head).
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Wee Bairn Wee Bairn is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Biafra
Posts: 5,734
Also, many people don't realize why Debbie Harry looks so old now, is that she was 34-35 when Heart of Glass hit.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Terrifel Terrifel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I believe this should make everything clear.

(Warning: NSFW; also, music)
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 PM
CaerieD CaerieD is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrifel


I obviously need to drink more before that becomes clear.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Sir Prize Sir Prize is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Rat
Other than the fact that the back-up cheerleaders look vaugely manish...or maybe the East German Women's Wrestling Team. Seriously, them's some fugly cheerleaders.
For me this was funniest part of the video, that Toni tryied to look cute and waifish by dancing in front of oversized cheeleaders. I always wondered if the cheerleaders understood how they got the part.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:15 PM
lissener lissener is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
FWIW, if Christgau is on crack, so am I (don't; it would cheapen you). My impression at the time was the same. In fact, IIRC, at that point in the song, Basil pats her ass and gives the camera a "naughty" look.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:27 PM
dnooman dnooman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 4,750
"Hit Me With Your Best Shot" is about jizz in the face right?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 08-18-2007, 10:09 AM
mks57 mks57 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prize
For me this was funniest part of the video, that Toni tryied to look cute and waifish by dancing in front of oversized cheeleaders. I always wondered if the cheerleaders understood how they got the part.
That's just being cruel. IIRC, the cheerleaders were from a local LA high school. Since when is anorexia a requirement for being a cheerleader?
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.