I think we could use a good misheard lyrics thread.

Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer” was on the radio this morning. Every time I hear it it reminds me of when I was a kid, because for the longest time I was positive he was saying:

“Hold me closer, Tony Daaaanzaaaa…”
What are some lyrics you heard differently from what they were?

There is a line in “Do you Feel Like We Do” that I’m not sure anybody but Frampton knows.

*Champagne for breakfast and a sherman in my hand
***** top, ***** tails - never fails

Or

“Peached up peached ale, never fails”
I’ve listened to it hundreds of times and have no idea what he is saying.
The other one that drives my crazy is VH Ice Cream Man.

*I got good lemonade, ah, dixie cups

I got puddin’ pie banana, dixie cups

I got a one pound banana, dixie cups

I’m gonna put my banana up, dixie cups*

WTF Dave???

The classic misheard lyric is , of course, from Jimi Hendrix’s Purple Haze: "Excuse me while I kiss this guy’ instead of “Excuse me while I kiss the sky”.

For a long time I beleved that Mick Jagger was singing “I’ve got satin shoes and (some brand name I didn’t know) boots” at the beginning of Can’t You Hear Me Knocking instead of sad shoes and nasty boots.

Not having had much religious education in my youth, I originally though the chorus in Kyrie Eleison by Mr. Mister was “Carry a laser down the path that I must travel.”

There’s a song that plays on our music system at work that I misheard for days before I finally went to the backroom and looked at the readout on the unit. I couldn’t figure out why the guy was singing “It’s all about the workplace”. He wasn’t. He was singing “It’s all about the wordplay”. Jason Mraz, I think.

My coworker got ticked the day the Shame song came on…she said, “I just don’t understand why they keep singing Shame, shame, shame…” It was “Chain, chain, chain, chain of fools.”

I think I’m the only person who hears this one:

In Andy Gibb’s “Love is Thicker Than Water,” there are several times where he says, “You are. . . this dreamer’s only dream.”

However, one of the times he says it, to me it sounds exactly like he’s saying “You are. . . the fish dreamer’s only dream.”

In the Who’s Substitute, before learning the name of the song, I thought they were singing “silk stitch shirts” As soon as I gave any consideration to the lyrics, I realized I was wrong. When I finally heard the title, I felt like an idiot. Still do, as a matter of fact.

There’s a song that goes “Seaaaa Breeeze” I think.

Someone I know always thought it said “Seea Baaaasss.” :smiley:

White winged dove, I always thought was ONE winged dove for some reason. :smack:
From the Stevie Nicks song; Edge of Seventeen.

I had the lyrics for Toto’s Africa completely messed up.

For years I simply heard a garbled line in the Laura Nyro-written/Three Dog Night hit version of Eli’s Comin’ Finally I discovered the line I couldn’t understand was

“I walked to Apollo by the Bay.”

Only problem is, I still have no idea what the hell they’re talking about. Whenever I Google “Apollo by the Bay” I simply get a link to the song lyrics.

Delerium’s Daylight includes the lines

You won’t have to be my Heaven,
I won’t have to be your friend.

I always hear it

You won’t have to be my Heaven,
I won’t have to be your sin.

I like my version better.

I could never tell what the hell she was saying. I figured it was “wild something something”

Those both happen to be the names of movie theatres in both Seattle and San francisco, or were. I have no idea if that’s what the lyric was referring to though.

My husband swore it was, “Hold me close, I’m tired of dancing.” He also thought it was “867 Box 309” instead of “867-5309” in the “Jenny” song.

Of course, I’ve never misheard a lyric in my life. :wink:

That Paul McCartney & Wings song “Jet” …

I’ve never known what they were singing and never bothered to search & find out, but it sounds like they’re singing about…

Darth Vader, … free trader!

:confused:

Aha, Pink Floyd must’ve done the cover on that one. “I got nicotine stains on my fingers, and the inevitable piano mall buds, all down the funt and my finger in satin shoes”

not to mention “Got a pair of go hell boots and I got my finger on my roots”

:confused:

All my childhood I thought Silent Night has: round, young virgin
little did I know then that now that I’m middle-aged, the only guys who are interested in me are round, young virgins :confused:

A friend of mine (no really… not me at all!) used to think that the Kiss song “Rock and Roll All Night” went: I wanna rock and roll all night, and part of every day. (Instead of party every day.)

Frankly, now that we’re over 30, this seems much more doable.

I *still * have problems when doing my occasional Wayne’s World driving along freak-out with the lyrics from Dark Side of the Moon, especially:

“The sun is the same in a relative way, but you’re older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death”

which invariably comes out “It’s always the same in a relative way…”

I know, I’m a miserablist…