What is this Japanese gesture?

AT about 9 minutes and 20 seconds they flash what looks like a peace symbol.
Maybe it is the peace gesture.

I never quite ‘got’ this sign. The chinese use it a lot, often (if not only) when they’re having their picture taken, although it’s usually the younger (and often female) kids doing it. There’s a cultural reason there, just as when westerners smile automatically. I think that sums it up quite nicely.

I was thinking at first that it was the standard “we’re on camera!” pose that almost everyone here does, but in the video it’s done by an office worker to a visitor as he’s leaving. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it used that way, and I’ve never finished a business meeting with it.

I lived in Japan for two years and most Japanese people will give the peace symbol in every photo. But in this scene it is really weird. I thought it may have been something else.

A long time ago, I had a book on Japanese gestures from anime and comics, the gesture means, depending on the context: I’m here!, I finished! or Peace to you!

This cite from an Anime group agrees:

http://carleton.ottawa-anime.org/animefaq.html

As for how it turned in Japan from a victory symbol to the less used meaning of peace (it is indeed a peace symbol too, but less used like that nowadays in the USA) Wikipedia reports this item that needs confirmation:

Yeah, it’s a thing you do when you feel good about whatever it is you’ve accomplished. (Or when you’re taking a photo.)

ex)
A: Dude, did you score with that chick last night?
B: <flashes V sign>

Not exclusive to Japanese culture either - it’s common in Korea and China as well. (In Korea sometimes people will say “Bwee!” as well - a mispronunciation of “Vee.”)

While we’re on the topic, does anyone know how modern speakers interpret that thing where someone pulls their lower eyelid down and sticks their tongue out?

I believe it’s meant as a childish version of “screw you”. I’ve never seen anyone besides children and women who are always trying to be cute.

Also, in photographs, “Piisu!” is like “Cheese!” in that saying it makes you smile.

I don’t think that’s true in Korea, at least. I saw a commercial recently for a type of noodle dish that needs to be stirred up, and at the end of the commercial the female (the female teacher from High Kick in case anybody out there is curious) does that gesture. ‘Screw you’ definitely doesn’t fit the context there, although the ‘trying to be cute’ is probably right on.

For prompting smiles in photos, I have more often heard people saying in Japanese “one plus one is…” and everybody responds “niiiiii” (two). I can’t help wondering if the peace sign, being two-fingered, is a play on that… just a nonverbal way of flashing a “cheesy” grin.

Yea, that’s the weird thing! I’ve been told by older people that it’s basically a juvenile way of saying “Fuck you”, but that doesn’t seem to fit with the contexts it gets used in these days.