How many languages are you fluent in?

And by “fluent,” I mean you can speak, understand, read and write well enough to converse with a native speaker. No pidgins.

My list:

1. English.

Almost nearlee won.

I hear your English and Raise you Hebrew :slight_smile:

(for a total of 2)

ETA: In response to the OP

1. English
  2. Español
  1. English

2. Japanese (but not reading and writing).

Speaking, Reading & writing:

1. English
  2. Hindi

In addition to the above, speaking only:

1. Punjabi
  2. Urdu

English and Korean, I guess, although my Korean is not as good as my English (I have no trouble with the language, but I’d rather not have to read/write anything in it that’s more complex than the average novel or newspaper article).

I’m so lame. Let’s see, there’s English, and, uh, English. My French is only slightly better than tourist French. I can say, but not write, a couple of curses in Russian. Can I count programming languages? Actually, I’m not that good at any of those either. Well, if anyone needs me, I’ll be studying.

I’m fully fluent in:

1. English
  2. Español

I’m conversational (two semesters in college and lots of practice with my ex) in:

1. Français

2: English and Esperanto. I’m working on French, and would very much like to take Japanese.

1. English
  2. Portuguese

and a distant

1. Spanish

Last summer I had the opportunity to speak at a church in Brazil, in front of a few hundred folks, in Portuguese. As I mentioned in the public speaking thread, that pretty much pegged my scary-public-speaking meter, but it was a very satisfying achievement :slight_smile: .

1. English
  2. Norwegian

I can fake my way through a conversation with a Swedish or Danish speaker most of the time, but I’ll speak Norwegian the whole way through. Some dialects are much easier than others, and some Swedish/Danish speakers are better at understanding Norsk than others, too, so the success of this method varies widely!

Just English. At my age I doubt I will ever be fluent in Spanish.

Paging Nava!

Arguably none, but I’m best at English.
I fervently wish I were fluent in another language. One of my heroes is explorer Richard F. Burton, who mastered many. I’ve spent years studying Polish, Latin, Spanish, and Japanese, with little luck.

I speak Japanese at the Shogun level. That means I speak it as well as I would if, instead of studying it, I merely watched the DVDs of the miniseries Shogun.

Two: Swedish and English. I would like to brush up on my Spanish; I know enough to get around but not enough to stop wishing the other guy spoke English.

People who speak three languages are known as trilingual, those who speak two are bilingual.

Those who speak only one are called Americans.

What?

1. English
  2. French

A handful of stupid phrases in Finnish.

I can read English, German and Swedish.

I can write English.

I can speak damn near nothing.

1. Spanish
  2. German
  3. English
  1. English.
  2. Lunda - a Bantu language spoken in Zambia, Angola and the DRC