Anyone else ever kick a nasal spray habit (or need to)?

About a year ago, I got a bad headcold. I started using Afrin nasal spray. I experienced a major “rebound effect”, and I’ve been using Afrin every 5 or 6 hours a day ever since- including waking up during the night to use it. I decided that I really need to kick the habit. It’s not good for my sinuses, and I’m spending a lot of $$ on Afrin.

So, two days ago I bought a bottle of "Simply Saline" saline solution nasal spray to help wean me off of Afrin.  I am on day 2 without my beloved Afrin, and I am about to kill someone.  I can't breathe.  I slept very fitfully last night because I was so stopped up I felt like I was choking.  I'm taking Claratin, but it's not working.

Anyone who's weaned themselves off of this crap, how long did it take?  This is driving me nuts.

You might want to go to a doctor/ENT, it might be rebound, it might be allergies, it might be a sinus infection, it might be something else, but I would get it checked out.

I’m afraid I haven’t, but this is exactly why when I use Afrin I use it for two or three nights – only at night! – at most. I too would check with a doctor, but the saline certainly can’t hurt in the meantime. I hope it’s just a matter of waiting it out.

My ENT took my Afrin out of my purse and threw it into his wastebasket in the examination room, fer chrissakes.
*Dear Og, I loved my Afrin! *
You’re in for a bad ride, katie1341.
It’s not easy getting off the stuff, but it can be done.
It won’t be pretty, but it can be done.
Don’t go back to it. Your sinuses will be much healthier without it.

Also, a trip to your local ENT might be in order, just to rule out allergies, etc.

I finally got myself weaned off the stuff, and I’m very glad I did.
I haven’t used it, or any nasal spray, for several years…Until my trip to the Midwest Ear Institute a couple of weeks ago, where I was referred, by my ENT (for seriously infected mastoid, ears and sinuses, of which I’m needing IV antibiotics and surgery, but, that’s another thread).
I’ve been prescribed Nasonex and I’m NOT enjoying it at all.
I feel like I’m in the same damn boat as I was with the Afrin…I can’t breathe without the damn stuff now.
I’m only supposed to use it once a day, and I’m sticking to it.

Good luck to you!

I was an Afrin “junkie” a number of years ago. Couldn’t breathe without it. It took me a month or two to finally be done with it. I was congested for a good few weeks when I was quitting, but things did get better. Saline spray can help a little, but not a lot. Afrin is kinda scary addictive in my experience.

One way to wean off Afrin.
Continue to use the Afrin in the right side of your nose as needed to keep it open, but do not use it on the left side. The left side will be plugged up but you can still breathe out of the right side.
When the left side gets over the rebound congestion and is clear, then stop using the Afrin on the right side and allow the right side to go through the rebound congestion.

I usually try to use Afrin at most 3 nights only. It’s such a bitch to wean myself off. I’m stuffy at least 3 or 4 days afterward.

I used stuff like this way back when and got hooked on it the same as you. I wound up in a hell of a shape for about a week when I finally realized I was unable to breathe without it and stopped using it. I got some saline spray and toughed it out. No magic cures or anything but the saline helps.

Regards

Testy

Pudytat , that’s a great idea. I’d rather be only half miserable. In the meantime, I’ve got a great advertising slogan for Simply Saline: “Simply Saline, the methadone for Afrin users!”.

I’ve kicked the habit twice now, and it actually wasn’t that difficult at all. What I did was I used half the bottle… and then refilled it to the top with saline. When half of THAT was gone, I again refilled it to the top with saline. Works like a charm- I didn’t notice any withdrawal problems (unlike going cold turkey, which was hell).

I worked with a lady who went through similar withdrawal when she had to undergo serious sinus surgery. They told her to use Breathe Right strips and that it would ease the congestion somewhat w/o getting hooked on sonething else. They didn’t even want to go in while she was still ‘using’, something to do with it supposedly interfering w/ anaesthetic absorption.

I was addicted to an over-the-counter nasal spray for three years. I carried a bottle with me everywhere! Here’s what worked for me after just TWO days: A product called, “Sinus Busters”. It is an all natural, non-habit forming OTC so you do not need a prescription. CVS carries it. I believe Walmart does too in some areas. Consider yourself warned, it’s a bit pricey ($12-$15) and it burns like crazy for a few moments and makes your nose run but it worked like a charm for me! I used it for two consecutive days, 1-2 quick sprays in each nostril twice daily in conjunction with saline spray (several times a day with the saline to moisturize sinus passages) and it worked great! By day 3, I was breathing clearly without the aid of ANY nasal spray, even while I slept. As with anything, results will vary and it may take a little longer depending on severity of the individual dependency. Many doctors are recommending Sinus Busters as a safe method for combating nasal spray addiction. OTC nasal sprays should be banned, they are nasty and HIGHLY addictive! Not only can they cause high blood pressure, but I’ve read that they can also cause damage to the liver and other vital organs over time. Important: Next time you catch a cold, do NOT use regular OTC nasal spray, try Sinus Busters instead to avoid rebound addiction. Good luck, hope this helps!

A friend of mine went through this. He solved it by a process of gradual dilution. For a couple of years, he carried around a bottle of saline, and used that. It seemed to help with congestion, and was physically comforting. So, maybe, just start by cutting the strength to 90%, then 80%…

ARGH! System wouldn’t let me edit.

To be clear (which my post wasn’t) my friend diluted the dosage in the bottle to 90%, then 80%, etc., over a period of months.

Once he got it to zero, he still carried around the bottle of nothing but saline, for a couple years. Even nothing but saline can provide some good!

I second the suggestion to use Breathe Right nasal strips. They helped my husband and me immensely when we were coming off the hard stuff. But we couldn’t wear them to work (sad face). Wish we’d known about diluting Afrin. I think my doctor also gave me a few days’ worth of steroids to help with the congestion or withdrawal or something. It’s been a few years.

Good luck to you. It can be done.

But be careful to NOT strike the bottle on a hard surface. While those are low dilutions, God only knows how strong you will make it. Even worse, once you dilute it under 1%. Then you’re playing with fire.

Edited too late: Wife bought some homeopathic nasal spray the other day. “You know that’s just saline, right?”

“I know how dilution works, but I also know that this was being closed out and was cheaper than plain saline.”

I still don’t trust the QC at the plant, but it’s her nose. Mine was destroyed by my addiction to Mentholatum under my nostrils and Neo-Synephrine spray in seventh grade.

Strike…surface…1%…fire…HUH?

mmm

You can have your doc put you on nasal steroids for a while, too.

Or use a neti pot.

I had one really hard case afrin addict whom I eventually put on oral steroids, but that was a special circumstance.

This seems to be a pretty common thing for those who suffer from allergies and / or sinus problems. Several years ago, I went through this. Had to pay a visit to the Doc who prescribed a round of prednisone which did the trick.

Now, if I have to use nasal spray, I limit it to one side of my nose and use it “only” at night.

Lot of good suggestions here. Sorry you’re going through this…