What if we had some swag?

You know, something corporate approved and what not, but how about something as we run a simple as a design contest and then set up a Café Press store with some shirts or hats or mousepads or whatever. Don’t you want an Official SDMB Moderator Coffee Cup replica? There’s a positive revenue stream that benefits my desire to clad myself in logo wear and also helps line the pockets of our new corporate overlords. New contests and designs can keep it going with new products and stuff so it’s a perpetual thing. It wouldn’t cost near anything!

We’ll design the stuff so that’s free, there’s no worry of overstock since it’s Café Press so that’s as close to free as it gets.

I’d buy an SDMB lapel pin, purple with yellow/gold “SDMB” lettering. I doubt CafePress does such things, though.

I want a pair of knee-high moderator jackboots, with an SDMB logo on the patent leather.

Too … unsubtle. I want Mod Underoos.

No dice on the lapel pins or jackboots, but they do sell boxers Twicks.

Seriously though, this might help while building goodwill both ways right? It’s a win-win situation.

We’ve periodically asked for a Slug-free T-shirt – it hasn’t happened yet.

I’m would totally buy some SDMB swag! Some shirts or hats would be sick. How about an SDMB mini-blimp?

With all the talk about needing to generate revenue, maybe this is a good time to implement some sort of SDMB store… I’d definitely buy a tshirt!

I still think my SDMB shirt is a good idea:

Alternatively, you could do:

Not that there’s too many people unaware of Cafe Press, but if you’re not go over and take a poke around on the available styles of stuff you can get and their revenue generating system (flat cost for items, you decide how much to charge over that, you keep the differance) and this seems like a pretty plausible idea.

Plus the thread for possible submissions would be hysterical.

Just Another Geek, I will take one of each, please!

Got Opal? Frigging classic…

“When come back bring pie” would be nice, but I have a feeling both Weebl AND Bob would object to using their phrase on something for sale.

But you forgot one of the "Got"s:

I like “Tedious Wanker” myself.
NurseCarmen actually has a **Cite? **shirt, and I must say, he looked ravishingin it.

My post is my cite.**

"How you doing?"

"Trainwrecker"

"Threadkiller extraordinaire"

"I am the fucking hall monitor"

**“No replies, refresh. No replies, refresh. No replies, refresh. Being ignored by the best board on the 'net since 2006”

"Teeming 1,000,001"

Just to start.

How about something like:

Top Ten SDMB Memes

1. Rio by Duran Duran
  2. Once, for 20 minutes, in 1960
  3. Hi, Opal!
    etc.

with the message board link at the bottom?

There could be a poll to pick the top ten (well really, the top 1-2 and 4-10, because 3 would have to be “Hi, Opal!”)

Print that on the back, and the SD logo on the front on a shirt.

Maybe a thread in MPSIMS would be more suitable for suggesting T-shirt slogan ideas? IANAMod - just saying. Didn’t really come into this thread for annoying catch phrases splashed out in big goofy fonts.

eta: not to be harsh but I really hate all that stuff and I would think that an ATMB thread should stick to whether this is a plan the Board would implement and the logistics of doing so.

**CarnalK ** is right, if we get the go ahead then show your dazzle in that thread (not to quash enthusiasm, really I love it but ATMB is what it is) but I think that this has shown a positive reaction to the idea and that’s what I wanted. My own idea was nothing more than a 1970’s style blue t-shirt with yellow block print SDMB on it, but until we can get some admin support for such an idea it’s really just wheel spinning since all of what we do and say here is Reader content and not available for mass market. It’s just an idea for revenue (albeit a great one :wink: ) but honestly we should try it out. What does it hurt?

I’d buy some stuff in a heatbeat no matter what, even if to just identify publicly as a Doper and support our newly invigorated boards. Don’t fight the power, empower the power yo.

Oh hell CarnalK, it makes sense that a swag thread might have swag ideas in it…

:wink:

Oh my god, that’s the most horrific suggestion I can imagine. If I’d never heard of the Straight Dop Message Board that slogan would make me barf and never want to go there. Maybe it’s my deep deep DEEP loathing for any “cute” re-working of “Internet” and I have an almost physical reaction of disgust and hatred when I see things like “intarweb” or “interweb” or “innerweb” or such-like. You’ve just added another one: “Intratubes.” retch And coupled with “teh” makes me want to smash something.

Maybe I’m taking this too seriously, but if I saw something like that on a t-shirt, I’d think the person was a right regular moron, and would never want to visit anyplace said moron hung out.

Plus, none of these terms originated, or are unique to the SDMB.

I just want the front of the shirt to say “Cite?” (And no ‘got’.) The logo, official slogan, and URL on the back.

I would like to make it clear that I don’t think JustAnotherGeek is a moron, that’s just what I’d feel if I saw someone out on the street with a shirt like that.

Oh, and, add an “e” to Dop (I hate it when I typo).