What if we had some swag?

Just a thought. Goat felching: the logo

There was a brother of a Doper on Beauty and the Geek this season - imagine the free advertising if he could have worn a Straight Dope t-shirt (of some variety that wouldn’t have gotten blurred). I’ve never really understood why the Straight Dope has such a crappy swag section - one gross t-shirt and a coffee mug? Everybody and their dog have a wide selection of tees and crap these days. It is a truism - geeks love geeky swag.

T-shirt suggestion:
I got your
1920’s style Death Ray
Right Here
|
|
/

The Straight Dope Message Board
www.straightdope.com

Ah, sigh of relief. I had hoped I was not alone in finding that an utterly un-wantable T-shirt. :smiley: White T-shirt, boo, hiss. Unfortunately T-shirts would be lighter things than coffee mugs or books to ship across that big pond.

[edit. cos of typo]

Oops. Actually, I meant to type the first shirt idea without the ‘Got’. Got carried away with my edits.

Equipoise, no harm, no foul. I’m not married to altering the slogan, just trying to throw some ideas out there. (Although, after Ted Stevens’s comment, I can’t help but refer to ‘teh intratubes’ sometimes - it may be an incurable psychosis, but I am taking meds for it… :wink: )

If they start selling a t-shirt with a big “Church of Cecil” in the front I’ll buy a dozen.

Would the Church of Cecil get offended and upset if there were also a teddy bear named Cecil? :smiley:

I’ll pitch in to do some design?

It might be kind of fun if you could select from a list of possibilities and then have your username embroidered on it as well.

Hm.

On further contemplation, someone bearing the name of any of our resident medical professionals and offering free pelvic exams should be viewed with a smidgen of skepticism.

I think this is a nice idea. I’m not sure how much market there would be for any given product, especially those with just text comprising a popular phrase or in-joke here - I mean, I think a T Shirt with I Burning You Dog on it is a funny idea, but I wouldn’t buy one.

But there must be plenty of other, perfectly saleable designs people could contribute - not necessarily with any specific site-related theme. As long as submissions all went through TPTB (and if it were to be a single coherent storefront, there’s not really any other way anyway), then I reckon it could be a nice little moneyspinner. We have enough witty, artistic people here to support it, I’m sure.

I made a shirt for JonathanChance once that said “3. Hi Opal” on it. (He asked me to.)

This is essentially what shirt.woot.com does for their Friday-Sunday products. Some of the shirts turn out to be pretty cool.

I’d buy all kinds of SDMB crap. Hell, if I weren’t so lazy, we’d have SDMB bumper stickers.

We do need to remember that stuff like pie & lolcats is not at all SDMB related. I do like the idea of a “Gotcha ya” milk-style shirt, and maybe some teeming millionth could create a 1920’s Style “death ray” drawing for a shirt. Ooh, how about this- fraction-style:

Teeming