Old 12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Restaurant food fads that should be retired

Apparently, there is nothing that isn't better with chipotle. Unless it is Tuscan style.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

At least "blackened" everything seems to have gone away.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself
Apparently, there is nothing that isn't better with chipotle. Unless it is Tuscan style.
I'm one of those people who loves chipotle anything, and I was really happy when it started getting trendy and popular a couple years ago. But I do understand that places are overdoing it. Typically, if a food item is barbecue, chipotle, otherwise-smoked, balsamic, avocado/guacamole, or pineapple flavored, those are must-try foods for me.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself
Apparently, there is nothing that isn't better with chipotle.
Except what's better with cilantro. Which tastes like soap.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of Doug
Only to you mutants. :P
Old 12-03-2007, 11:34 PM

Square plates. Shit, even Corelle makes square plates. Over.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:34 PM
BANNED

"Chipotle" is just another way of saying smoked chile. I think chipotle hasn't beeen taken far enough... why stop at red Jalapeno's when there are multitudinous varieties of chiles to be smoked and ground or adoboded in various states of ripeness (or greeness).

... New flavors to be discovered, my dear boy!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ugh, seconded. How about some nice basil instead of all that cilantro? It makes my nose itch!

My nominee? Truffles, truffle oil - enough, already! The first eleventy times I had it soaking some restaurant entree it was interesting enough. Now it just makes me gag. They put it on EVERYTHING. I suppose that's one way to charge nine bucks for a plate of fries.

Oh, one more: flavored iced tea. Get your peach/mango/chutney/chai/passionfruit pseudo-tea beverages away from me, bleah! Also, restaurants? Have at least one PLAIN BLACK TEABAG (English Breakfast is nice if you want to be upscale) in the house for those of us who don't want to dunk a bag of lawn clippings in hot water and drink it.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknew
"Chipotle" is just another way of saying smoked chile. I think chipotle hasn't beeen taken far enough... why stop at red Jalapeno's when there are multitudinous varieties of chiles to be smoked and ground or adoboded in various states of ripeness (or greeness).
No, chipotle is specifically a smoked jalapeño, usually canned in adobo sauce. Other smoked chiles have there own name. Smoked pablanos are anchos, for example.

But I lervs me some chipotle, so bring it on, I say.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Charter Member

Frozen butter squares.

Olive oil instead of butter.

(Can't I get a decent spread?)

And I am with jellyblue on odd flavored ice tea being the only choice. Eech. (here is where we need that "eech" emoticon)
Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 AM
Charter Member

The lame height principle. Bad food piled atop other bad food tastes no better than bad food beside other bad food.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:13 AM

Stupid "Xtreme" names for dishes.

At Chili's, they call the spinach and artichoke dip "SpinDip." Laaaaaame.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:29 AM

I clicked on this thread just because I wanted to scream "CHIPOTLE!!"

Turns out the OP and I are twins.

First it was one or two restaurants, then it was the chains, and now even Jack in the Box has Chipotle Something. I don't have a problem with "chipotle mayo" or anything else about chipotle, other than the fact that it's more omnipresent than Britney Spears. Play a new record, please?

*grrrrrr*

I do, however, like cilantro. Friends of mine whine about it, and I feel their pain because they feel about cilantro like I feel about olives--black OR green. Like, "WHY ARE THEY EVERYWHERE? WHY CAN'T I ESCAPE THEM? WHY DID NO ONE WARN ME?" Some places feel like olives are in the same food group as lettuce...they'll just throw 'em on there because they assume everybody loves them, or at least consider them innocuous.

Olives are NOT innocuous. I hate them. I burp them for hours, like cucumber.

Ew.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Preach it, brother!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:03 AM

You can get rid of chipotle-everything, just don't get rid of Chipotle, 'cos I just discovered them and damn, they are some kinda good! Think I might pick some up for supper tonight........
Old 12-04-2007, 06:54 AM

The problem with Chipotle (not the restaurant) is that my taste buds have long associated that flavor with BBQ potato chips. I don't want BBQ potato chip flavored anything except BBQ potato chips, and I am kind of meh about those.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:57 AM

Adding avacado to normal foods, just to seem edgy.
Adding anything "essence". I have no idea if "essences" taste good, as I refuse to try them. "Essence". It even sounds snooty.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:07 AM

Sun-dried tomatoes. Way to ruin a delicious fruit/vegetable.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

I forgot another over used ingredient: asiago cheese. Where did it come from? Why is it better than a hundred of other exotic cheeses? Why won't it just go away?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by don't ask
The lame height principle. Bad food piled atop other bad food tastes no better than bad food beside other bad food.
I came in here to complain about towers of food. If you spend that much time on presentation, artfully shaping my mashed potatoes into a spire, I'm guessing that's time you're not spending on actually cooking food well.

Also, stop putting wasabi in things that don't need it! Sweet potatoes are delicious. Wasabi is delicious. Wasabi sweet potatoes are not delicious.

Last edited by burundi; 12-04-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:14 AM

Jaunty chives.

Every time I go for a nice meal, the food has a couple of chives leaning up against it like they're shooting the breeze, leaning on a bar somewhere. Those chives can fuck off.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:15 AM

Two food fads I've seen gaining popularity:

Panini. It just a fancy name for a grilled sandwich but everyone seems to be latching onto the name. Ohhh, how about a cheese panini! You mean a grilled cheese sandwich? I'm waiting to see the McPanini any day now.

Ciabatta bread. Now everywhere that serves something on bread or rolls has to have their version of "ciabatta" bread. Too bad the employees at Subway can't pronounce it correctly. "You want it on that there Ki-beta bread?"
Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 AM

Green tea and pomegranites. Granted, I like tea and I like pomegranites but not everthing I consume needs to have super anti-oxidants.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Gigantic plates artfully decorated with squiggles of sauces, and a tiny mountain of food stacked in the middle. Am I supposed to put those sauces on the food on the plate or are they just there to look pretty? If they're supposed to flavor my food, how do I get them onto the food? Do I drag my food through the pretty squiggles, or try to put the squiggles on my fork and then on the food? And what flavor is the light green squiggle? Is it similar to the dark green squiggle? Couldn't you just sauce my food like a normal chef?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 AM

Bad ribs. Leave the ribs off your menu. If you ain't equipped to make ribs, don't bother. Everybody has to offer ribs. Enough! You suck at it.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjimm
Jaunty chives.

Band name!

I agree with many of the suggestions here:

Adding avocado to something and then calling it a "California _____." I feel like I should change my name to SanDeE* and get a colonic or something after my Californian, avocado-laced meal.

Asiago cheese. Tasty stuff. I think it was Subway maybe who first advertised their bread baked with asiago on it. Now everyone does it. Bagels at the bagel place have asiago. Breads everywhere are covered with little browned shreds of the stuff. Asiago is the new parmesan, I suppose.

My own addition is:

Putting every darned sandwich into "wrap" form. Don't get me wrong, I like wraps. But sometimes I want some bread, or a roll, or something. Wraps are great for salad-based sandwiches (caesar salad wraps, for example), but ham and cheese or turkey and cheese in a wrap are just awful. There is never quite enough filling, and the ends are just dry folds of pressed flour with maybe a hint of mayo or something on them.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 AM

"Boneless buffalo wings", being an inaccurate name for breaded chicken nuggets with sauce. Revolting.

Cilantro, of course.

Any kind of beans except refritos in Mexican food.

Rice in burritos.

There's more, but I'm afraid my intolerance is showing.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 AM

And, in spite of a recent thread arguing the opposite, undercooking vegetables. Let's bring back fully cooked vegetables and leave the almost raw vegetables to the health stores.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald C. Semone
And, in spite of a recent thread arguing the opposite, undercooking vegetables. Let's bring back fully cooked vegetables and leave the almost raw vegetables to the health stores.
Hell yes! If it's supposed to be crispy, don't freakin' cook it! "Mushy" is the only way to eat broccoli.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald C. Semone
Not only almost raw, but cold too! Send it back!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:42 AM

It's made the full leap from "legitimately special" to "annoyingly trendy" to "completely mainstream," but I remember a time in the late 80s and early 90s when your restaurant was nothing if it didn't offer dijon mustard or sauces or dishes based on it.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I, too, entered this thread to post "chipotle".

In addition, stupid and long chocolate dessert names. Why do you serve "warm apple crumble" next to "gigantasize fudge-ripple quintuple chocolate chocoholic's orgasm by ice cream with ganache!"
Old 12-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluricaun
Green tea and pomegranites. Granted, I like tea and I like pomegranites but not everthing I consume needs to have super anti-oxidants.
Well, it isn't a restaurant thing, but for some reason "normal" tea has been banished in favor of green tea in the convenience store coolers that I frequent. So I stop to get some gas on a warm day and I head inside on for something to drink, but I don't want a soda. A nice option in the past was always some bottled iced tea from Nestea or Lipton. But for whatever reason, the "tea" row in the cooler has six varieties of green teas and no normal tea whatsoever. Given that green tea tastes like dirt, I'm left with bottled water or soda as my options. Why?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

The trend has slowed considerably, but "low-carb" menus need to go.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
Stupid "Xtreme" names for dishes.

At Chili's, they call the spinach and artichoke dip "SpinDip." Laaaaaame.
The menu calls it Spinach & Artichoke Dip.

The POS system calls it SPIN DIP because it has limited space to work with and the employees call it spin dip because they say it thousands of times weekly. I know a lot of restaurant workers who work at various places with a spinach dip and they all call it spin dip just because it's easier. But the menu never says that.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:57 AM

When I read my post now, I think it sounds unnecessarily confrontational -- and I did mean to add that I agree with you about stupid food names as well, just that I don't consider the employee abbreviation of spin dip to qualify.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus
At least "blackened" everything seems to have gone away.
Hear, hear! I lived in Cajun country before the fad, and no one blackened anything. And throwing spices on something does not make it Cajun.

I can do without throwing awful fruits into iced tea as the default. Let me have it either plain or sweetened.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:32 PM

Oh, another one that's kind of had its day and come and gone: "mesquite grilled" things. They were all the rage in the late 80s/early 90s as well, and mesquite is horrible, harsh wood for smoking and grilling. And what got even worse is when it spilled over into "mesquite" flavored barbeque sauces and marinades, which had nasty liquid smoke in them. Ick.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCentStamp
Oh, another one that's kind of had its day and come and gone: "mesquite grilled" things. They were all the rage in the late 80s/early 90s as well, and mesquite is horrible, harsh wood for smoking and grilling. And what got even worse is when it spilled over into "mesquite" flavored barbeque sauces and marinades, which had nasty liquid smoke in them. Ick.
I'll still eat mesquite grilled dishes at any of the Goode Company Restaurants. Jim Goode knows what he's doing. But mesquite can be overdone; the same for chipotle & cilantro. Plenty of Houston restaurants feature these ingredients. But sometimes they don't "fit."

And I'll think twice about trying regional favorites out of their home region--no matter how fashionable they've become. For example: Should I ever make it to Dublin, Tante Zoe's Cajun/Creole restaurant would not be my first choice....

Quote:
Cajun is believed to have been the food of poor Negro folks, who lived along the waterways and swamps that dot Louisiana. Creole on the other hand, was the more aristocratic cuisine of the up tempo New Orleans city people.

In time Cajun and Creole folk intermarried and completely absorbed the cultures of the area. From this melting pot evolved what is now recognised as the most distinct and favourable cooking styles in the world.
Umm, nope. And I'm sure Ireland's famous salmon is better un-blackened.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask
A-F***ing-men
Even if it is good, who ever thought I would like to have my steak riding atop a pile of mashed potatoes is dead f***ing wrong.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke
And I'll think twice about trying regional favorites out of their home region--no matter how fashionable they've become. For example: Should I ever make it to Dublin, Tante Zoe's Cajun/Creole restaurant would not be my first choice....

Quote:
Cajun is believed to have been the food of poor Negro folks, who lived along the waterways and swamps that dot Louisiana. Creole on the other hand, was the more aristocratic cuisine of the up tempo New Orleans city people.
Umm, nope. And I'm sure Ireland's famous salmon is better un-blackened.
at Tante Zoe's historical reference....Ain't So is right

Last edited by flickster; 12-04-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejaytee
Gigantic plates artfully decorated with squiggles of sauces
Seconded. The whole "small portion of food on big plate" thing needs to die, now.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke
I'll still eat mesquite grilled dishes at any of the Goode Company Restaurants. Jim Goode knows what he's doing.
Thanks, Bridget, for picking out my dinner destination tonight. The Goode Co. BBQ on I-10 and Voss sounds really good...e now.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv
No, chipotle is specifically a smoked jalapeño, usually canned in adobo sauce. Other smoked chiles have there own name. Smoked pablanos are anchos, for example.

But I lervs me some chipotle, so bring it on, I say.
No shit, anal boy. That's what I said in my post. Why don't you try reading for comprehension? Chipotle is a smoked chile, so it's one of the many ways of saying smoked chile. And as I pointed out in that post, chipotle is not just a smoked jalapeno, as you say, but a ripe,red, jalapeno.

mumble, mumble,...Grimacing Bowlus Holder...
Old 12-04-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
No shit, anal boy. That's what I said in my post. Why don't you try reading for comprehension? Chipotle is a smoked chile, so it's one of the many ways of saying smoked chile. And as I pointed out in that post, chipotle is not just a smoked jalapeno, as you say, but a ripe,red, jalapeno.

mumble, mumble,...Grimacing Bowlus Holder...
Somebody's fussy...
Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
No shit, anal boy. That's what I said in my post. Why don't you try reading for comprehension?
This line:
Quote:
"Chipotle" is just another way of saying smoked chile.
Sounds like you're saying chipotle is a merely a synonym for "smoked chile."

Would you say "Honda Accord" is just another way of saying car?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi Hassenpfeffer
The menu calls it Spinach & Artichoke Dip.

The POS system calls it SPIN DIP because it has limited space to work with and the employees call it spin dip because they say it thousands of times weekly. I know a lot of restaurant workers who work at various places with a spinach dip and they all call it spin dip just because it's easier. But the menu never says that.
Reminds me of when my wife and I went to Jason's Deli and ordered a couple of Southwest Chicken Chilis. The girl behind the counter yells out "I need two Swillies!" Yum... appetizing...
Old 12-04-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv
This line:

Sounds like you're saying chipotle is a merely a synonym for "smoked chile."

Would you say "Honda Accord" is just another way of saying car?
Well to be fair chipotle, or chilpocle comes from the Nahuatl words chil (chile) and pectli (smoke), so it does literally mean smoked chile. I don't think however that the nuances of Nahuatl change the fact that chile chipotle refers to a jalapeno that has been ripened deep red on the plant and smoke-dried.

digression over
Old 12-04-2007, 03:39 PM

Now on topic:

I am tired of everyone insisting on "toasting" my gorramn sammitch! I like a nice cold refreshing sandwich and don't require melted cheese on everything I eat! The worst offense happened when someone tried to "toast" my cold cut combo!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:02 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Candied baby starfish and limburger spread. It's nice once in a while, but jeez, give it a rest! And if you're gonna make the attempt, use real limburger, not "processed limburger food".