NYC area Dopers, a plea for advice

I will be traveling to the illustrious Big Apple for the first time ever this January. I’m staying at a ritzy joint on someone else’s dime, so it’s the perfect opportunity for adventurous me to see somewhere in the Mysterious North. The hitch is that I have never been in a city close to that size (Tampa and Nashville are my regular haunts, with the occasional stop in between in Atlanta), and I don’t know what skills or knowledge I may need beforehand to make things go smoothly.

Particularly, I’d like to know if I’m insane for trying to get from the Long Island Airport to Manhattan by myself, with no knowledge of the local area. I presume that people do this sort of thing all the time, but I am apparently too inculcated with the idea of Scary Big City to feel confident about it without checking for advice in the best place I know. I think that carrying luggage will be the biggest hangup, but I don’t know how much of an obstacle it really is - just an annoyance, as elsewhere, or will it pose a real threat to my mobility on public transport?

So, please - impart to me what I should know about getting around generally, if there are any particular pitfalls that I should avoid, and whatever smartass remarks seem appropriate. :slight_smile:

If “by myself” you mean “renting a car and driving into Manhattan”, then yes you are insane. Cab fare from Islip is maybe $100, though, so you may want to take a shuttle over to the Long Island Railroad and ride into Penn.

I am not a local, though, so they’ll undoubtedly weigh in with better advice than mine.

There have recently been numerous very informative threads on the SDMB on things to do in New York - I recommend you do a search and dig some up.

He/She can’t search…

I’ll try to do one here directly if nobody comes around with more info.

Kilvert’s Pagan - as Duke of Rats so kindly pointed out, I can’t search yet. I have asked for a subscription for Christmas, though, so maybe I will have the opportunity before my trip. Thank you for the recommendation on travel, though - perhaps I can find schedules and whatnot online in advance.

Duke of Rat - if you have time to do a search, I would appreciate it. No serious worries, though; I hoped some more experienced travelers or locals might weigh in, but I am sure there are plenty of other avenues for information I simply haven’t explored yet.

Into the city by LIRR is extremely easy. A shuttle runs between Islip/Macarthur and the nearest LIRR station (which may be Ronkonkoma). I believe it costs around $4. From there most trains terminate in Penn Station (watch out for any trains labeled “Flatbush/Atlantic Ave” – those terminate in Brooklyn). You buy a ticket from the machine and hop aboard. The conductor will check your ticket, punch it, and answer any questions you have.

LIRR is more like a train than a subway – aside from the already-mentioned conductor, they offer electrical outlets, bathrooms (around every other car), and small luggage racks.

Once you arrive in Penn Station, you have your choice of grabbing the 1,2,3 or A, C, E subways right in the station, or walking one block to the F (you can look up a subway map online), or catching a cab at one of the many taxi stands around Penn Station.

Luggage is harder on the subway than the LIRR (many subway stations are not wheelchair accessible=lots of stairs), but it is possible if budget is a concern or your luggage is not too heavy/bulky.

This is just the sort of insight/advice I was looking for - thank you very much!

Train fare, off peak, from any of the LIRR stations closest to MacArthur to Penn Station are closer to $6 one way, I think. Rush hour is higher. Where is this ritzy joint? if it’s close to Times Square, and the weather is decent, and you’re a reasonably healthy individual, the 10 or so block walk up 7th Avenue is nice. Plus, you can enjoy the store windows.

One word of advice, tho, when you’re walking around NYC, with or without luggage. Try not to look like a tourist. Adopt a blasé face, and keep a steady pace. You’ll look more like a native.

More info:
Here is the Ronkonkoma LIRR schedule, and here is the fare schedule. Ronkonkoma is either Zone 9 or 10, so the fare (one way, off peak) is either $8 or $9.50 accordingly

That’s another thing I’m vaguely worried about - that I’ll (unintentionally) look like a complete moron. Not stopping mid-sidewalk and not openly gawking I can do - are there cultural niceties that I should know, besides those? I’m assuming that charging forward, looking only straight ahead, and occasionally screaming profanity at the world at large is probably not my best bet for blending in, despite what my mother would have me think. I do have a tendency to make brief eye contact with the people I pass on the street and smile - is that going to make people think I’ve gone out of my gourd?

Thanks also for the note about the walk up 7th - even if I don’t do it on my first day, it may be somewhere I go when I start walking around during the weekend. (I will be there Fri - Sun, with not much of anything scheduled, so I expect to do a lot of walking and seeing what looks interesting. I presume that, being in a relatively populous and upscale area, this is not signing my own death warrant.)

If you are curious, the actual ritzy joint is the Waldorf Astoria. I’d definitely welcome ideas of things to do or places to see in the general vicinity - I’m a healthy person, and walking up to a couple of miles intimidates me less than riding the subway, oddly enough. This is going to be a trip full of firsts!

and once you’ve checked in, and feel like exploring NYC, here is the subway map and the bus map (both of which you can print out and carry with you).

You are a fabulous trove of easily referenced information! Thank you! :cool:

Hey, A Priori Tea, sorry I missed that you’re a guest and can’t search. What sort of things appeal to you? Museums? Shows? A good pastrami? :slight_smile:

Either that or that you are about to try to proselytize or con them. NYers can be friendly, but are never so gratuitously. You need to have some small connection going, like admiring someone’s hat or dog, or both of you checking out the same shop window. Unsolicited eye contact has meaning here, so best to avoid it unless you really have something to communicate.

I’m a bit of a drama whore, so shows always appeal - I am going to be hunting for tickets to anything that looks interesting on payday. If you know of small shows or houses that are doing anything interesting in the first part of the month, recommendations are always welcome! (The internet is a wonderful resource, but it can be hard to tell indy and good from indy and crap without a reference, heh.) I don’t have any idea what passes for a good pastrami, but I’m willing to try many things once. Mostly I am looking to get a fairly dense experience out of a few days, and see things that I would not see anywhere else (or at least in my usual hangouts).

Thank you for the heads-up; that’s something I will keep in mind!

We don’t bite, and the public trans is designed to let anyone with the worldliness of the average American 6th grader get around pretty easily 10 minutes after their first glance at the subway map.

A couple of things that “everyone knows” which not everyone knows and which aren’t compellingly obvious or generally explained because, after all, “everyone knows”:

• Long Island, Brooklyn, and Queens are all the same freaking island. The two eastern-most counties (farthest from Manhattan) are not part of the city and are actually called “Long Island”. The two western-most counties are divided from each other at a sharp angle (there’s a huge bay taking up the southeast corner and the dividing line runs from there to the northwest), so on the subway map it’s not at all obvious that Brooklyn is the westernmost county of Long Island or that Queens is the one to its east, or that either of them have diddly squat to do with some entirely other place called “Long Island”.

•Streets are numbered in such a way that people speak of 300 East 43rd Street and 300 West 43rd Street. Rather than being two different 43rd Streets lying 86 blocks apart in opposite directions from some central starting-point Street, these terms reference the exact same street, the building numbers of which lie in opposite directions from each other from a central dividing line, that dividing line being 5th Avenue. As you go east of 5th Ave the numbers go higher as “East XXth Street”, and as you go west of 5th Ave the numbers also go up but as “West XXth Street”.

• Manhattan is also an island, and it’s small even though it’s tall. No matter how lost you may think you’ve gotten, keep in mind that almost anyone can walk from the East River to the Hudson River, and if you’re in decent shape you could walk the length of it as well. Furthermore, it’s laid out like a grid (except for below 14th Street to the south tip). Taxis are expensive, public trans is ubiquitous and affordable, but the best way to get around if you’re moderately in shape is just to walk. And yes, it’s safe.

• The Long Island Rail Road is laid out like your hand, with Manhattan being the wrist. When you head back, verify that the train you’re on is going to where you’re going. If you head off down the wrong “finger” you have to turn around and come back to get on the correct one. Oh, and fares vary considerably based on time of day and which way you’re going. Off-peak tickets (any other than rush hour going in the direction most commuters go during rush hour which is TOWARDS Manhattan in the morning and AWAY from Manhattan in the evening) are a whole lot cheaper than peak tickets.

I’ve now been living in NY (in the Bronx) for about 6 months. Here are some things I’ve learned by experience:

Keep in mind that transit times can be enormous in the NY area. Commuting times aren’t really considered “long” unless they’re greater than an hour and a half. This means that, in general, NYers have a much higher tolerance for spending forever getting from one place to another. People who tell you that “it doesn’t take very long” to get someplace, or that it’s a “quick trip” from one place to another might mean that it’ll take you an hour on a subway, not including any delays for work on the tracks (there’s always some part of the track being repaired, and it slows down the trains) or other service changes.

If I were you, I would plan my sightseeing borough by borough (or neighborhood by neighborhood), so you don’t spend a ton of time in transit among the things you want to see. It would probably make sense to plan your routes with hopstop (www.hopstop.com) the night before you plan to go wherever you’d like to go. Try to see things in clusters of places within walking distance from each other. Because you’ll be in Manhattan, the subways and buses will probably be pretty reliable and arrive more or less on schedule. Some subway trips between points of interest to you can take under half an hour. In other boroughs, especially ones with smaller tax bases (like the Bronx, which, IIRC, is still the poorest of the boroughs), transit can take much longer than you’d expect.

Be prepared to feel exhausted by mass transit, especially the subway. The subways can be really filthy and unpleasant at times. They’re often the most convenient way to get between neighborhoods in Manhattan a lot of the time, though, so they’re often worth putting up with. The Manhattan buses aren’t bad, though, and the commuter rail is actually pretty nice. Express buses can also be pleasant, with plush seats and smooth rides.

Each borough is a city unto itself. Don’t necessarily expect the same conventions to hold in Manhattan as in Queens or the Bronx. For example, the cute yellow cabs you see on Sex in the City are common only in Manhattan. The other boroughs have big black cars with diamond stickers in the windows. Most tourists breeze in, check out specific, very famous things in Manhattan, and then take off. There are lots of places in the outer boroughs that are more than worth your time to see.

In winter, it gets very cold outside here, so people try to compensate by making it very warm inside. I’d suggest dressing in layers, with a thick winter coat on the outside, so that you can be well bundled up while you’re on the street, but you can be comfortable in the artificial summer once you get to where you’re going.

Oh, and, for whatever reason, NY can really dry you out. I learned to carry water with me everywhere, especially when I’m traveling between boroughs or for long distances within Manhattan.

As far as the cultural niceties here in NY–really, there aren’t that many. The big ones are: 1) Stay the hell out of the way of traffic. Let people getting off trains and buses get out quickly. You dont’ enter until the last person is off. Don’t stand in the middle of hallways. 2) If someone pushes you or does something else that seems aggressive, brush it off and stand aside for that person. It’s not worth getting into an argument or fight over. 3) Don’t make any eye contact with crazy people. When you’re in mass transit, don’t make eye contact with anyone you don’t want to say something to. 4) When asking questions on the street, or when asking for basic info, distill everything you want to say down to the very shortest, quickest, and clearest version of whatever you want to get across. There will be no tolerance for spending time on niceties or chit-chat. Save your conversational skills for times when people are getting together specifically to talk or get to know each other.

Don’t worry too much about looking like a tourist or seeming moronic. The fact is, almost everyone on the street is going to be too busy to pay much attention to you, anyway. As long as you keep basic street smarts about you and don’t block traffic or gawk all the time, you should be OK.

A lot of people–me included–often feel like they’re rarely ever clean while they’re in NY. There’s this fine layer of subway grit that seems to settle on everything. You might find yourself going through changes of clothes more rapidly than you’d planned on.

If you don’t want to do a lot of planning with hopstop, but you still want to use public transit, it might make sense to really take advantage of any concierge or other service the hotel provides for planning your travel. But you’ve probably already thought of that.

I’ve been here 18 years and I still gawk, except maybe I’ll move to the side of the sidewalk. I mean it’s silly to be in a city with so much great architecture and not stop to look at it even if you just have a passing interest. Now if you gawk with your daypack unzipping while you hold your map that’s flapping to the ground - that might not be so good. If you’re at the Waldorf you can gawk at the citicorp building and marvel at what’s actually holding it up.

Just be yourself and don’t do anything stupid. :smiley:

You don’t want to be like Buddy in Elf but you don’t have to totally close up shop either. I look at a lot of people’s faces as they walk by. If the occasional eye contact is made and a little smile sneaks out then no harm done. You learn to size people up from a distance.

Don’t worry about looking like a tourist. You will not pass as a New Yorker anyway.

New Yorkers love to tell people where to go. So don’t worry about asking for Subway directions or asking for a good place to eat.
I think most New Yorkers check people out around them. Just be subtle. You have to check for crazies after all.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
See the Natural History Museum or the Met or both.

Oh and if you are on a esclator and you are just going to stand and ride it up, stand to the right, let people walk past you on the left.

January is a great time to check out a Broadway show! Typically it’s the slowest month of the year in terms of ticket sales (the after holiday season slump), so most shows usually have heavily discounted prices. Check out what’s for sale each day at the TKTS booth on 46th St in Times Square, or buy in advance from www.BroadwayBox.com. (A great site to find discounted tickets.) Or if you are a student (or have an old student ID) see if any shows you are interested in have a rush policy. (Usually they go on sale at the box office either when it opens at 10am or two hours before curtain, for $20-$36 each.)

January is **cold **here, so make sure you bring enough warm clothes to bundle up when going outside.

If you don’t know where you’re going, don’t be afraid to ask passersby for directions (just don’t start a sentence with “Excuse me. Can I ask you a question?” as that is the stock phrase used by people scamming for money. Just say “How do I get to…?” “Where is…?” etc.)

Don’t worry about gawking at things or looking like a tourist. Basically as long as you aren’t in anyone’s way, no one will care what you do. :slight_smile: