I pit illegal burning

Since moving out to the country a few months ago, I’ve had so many issues with neighbors burning illegally.

First let me say that I personally don’t think anyone in his right mind would burn rubbish and release the pollutants into the atmosphere, even if it were legal. I think it’s rude and inconsiderate and downright dangerous to burn for the sake of burning.

However, I’m well aware that no matter how strongly I feel about an issue it doesn’t give me a right to stop others from doing as they please. That’s why I took pains, when I first encountered this problem, to learn what the law is.

I contacted the appropriate representative from the Ohio EPA and he was very helpful and informative. He sent me literature and made sure I understood the law as it applies to my property and those around me.

Subsequently I reported one of our neighbors several times, and each time the rep from the EPA went to the house and found the man was burning illegally. He issued citatations, and I believe the last time there was a fine involved. But I noticed he and other neighbors were burning mostly on weekends, when Mr. EPA was obviously not at work. He told me to contact my local fire department on their non-emergency number.

I was loathe to do that, because I don’t really want to bother the fire department. So I found another resource, a man at my county health department who is also involved with enforcing burning regulations. He is just as helpful and friendly, and he also suggested that I call the local fire department on the weekend.

A weekend day came when we were working outside and all of a sudden WHAM! we were inhaling God knows what from a neighbor’s fire. (We aren’t very close to any neighbors here, but smoke travels a long way and some of these guys build big fires.) So I called the nonemergency number of the local fire department and asked to speak to someone about illegal burning.

A man came on who identified himself as Captain So-and-So. I told him what was going on, and that I had been advised by Mr. EPA and Mr. County to call him on the weekend. That’s when the patronizing attitude came into play.

“Well, little lady,” he drawled. (I swear he DID say “little lady!”) “What’s this neighbor burning?”

“I don’t know. Why?” In other words, isn’t it your job to find out?

“Well, sometimes people just have a little something to burn. And we’ve given permits to a lot of people to go ahead and burn.”

“You’ve given permits?” I asked. “Are you authorized to do that?” (They aren’t. Only the EPA rep can do that.)

“Oh sure. We just let people burn pretty much whatever they want.”

The conversation went on like that, with me feeling like I was in the Twilight Zone. When I reported this interaction to Mr. EPA and Mr. County, they were disgusted but not surprised by Fire Captain’s attitude.

My point is that in this day and age why is anyone still burning openly? I maintain that people might not know it’s illegal. I asked Mr. County if the local paper wouldn’t run something from him, and he said “Not unless we pay for space.” That’s nice, isn’t it? Mr. EPA said he hands out flyers to all fire departments but he doesn’t know what happens to them after he hands them over. I say ignorance of the law is ignorance.

I’m sure my neighbors hate me, because nothing pisses off people more than being busted for doing something wrong. The fact that they wouldn’t be busted unless they were wrong probably won’t occur to them, because it’s so much yummier to blame someone else. But I can’t let that stop me. I quit smoking four years ago, and I didn’t move to the country to suck down someone else’s smoke.
We are also on a campaign to live a more green life, so this is doubly irksome.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get neighbors to stop burning illegally? If so, I’d like to hear them.

(It occurs to me that, lest I appear as though I have a stick up my ass for neighbors, I don’t care what they do on their own property on their own time unless it impacts on my life AND it’s illegal.)

Here. Try setting a couple of these up at your property line.

They’re Giant fans.

I’m not sure what they’re doing is actually illegal. According to the Ohio EPA, open burning is allowed for:
“Plant matter such as tree trimmings, stumps, brush, weeds, leaves,
grass, shrubbery and crop residues. Also wastes such as wood or paper
products that are generated by one-, two-, or three-family residences.
Fire must be more than 1,000 feet from neighbor’s inhabited building.”

assuming you are outside of a village or city which it sounds like from your OP.
I live in semi-rural Massachusetts and we’re allowed to do residential burning of agricultural debris on a limited basis.
I know you’re worried about global warming and all of that, but for a lot of this debris, the carbon is going back into the atmosphere one way or another.

Now if your neighbors are tossing any old crap in the bonfire, that’s more problematic. But you should be very aware that burning refuse is probably a deeply ingrained tradition out in the sticks. And being the newcomer who comes into town and starts stirring the shit is a good way to become really, really unpopular in your town.

I’m out in the country too. Although I haven’t burned anything outdoors a lot of neighbours do. It’s usually just leaves and twigs and stuff that otherwise would have to be rounded up and dumped somewhere or perhaps even get carted to the dump itself.

It’s what country folks do; they burn stuff.

Well, having grown up in (and currently once again residing in) a very rural area, there are a lot of reasons to burn things. I am not your neighbors, nor do I purport to know what they are burning or if it is or is not legal, but I can tell you that my neighbor recently has been burning gasp openly while he sits at his new pond, watching it fill with water. He is burning to another gasp keep warm in the 20° (or less) temperatures. I know it may come as a surprise to you, but perhaps you don’t have all the facts? Maybe you do. I don’t know, I’m just saying that assumptions aside, there are valid reasons for burning things “in this day and age.” In fact, some people still burn things for heat in their own homes.

Also we shoot stuff sometimes. :smiley:

Burning a bunch of trash or throwing oil or plastics or something onto a bonfire is irresponsible, certainly, as is having a bonfire in a dry season. When you live on several acres of rural countryside, though, there aren’t many other options for dead branches and brush. I suppose they could be dumped into woodchippers, bagged in plastic, and sent to the dump.

What an awful idea. Far better to burn a pile responsibly.

Shhhhhhhh! Let them find that out in the Spring – it’s always a fun, exciting adventure!

Interestingly enough, being on well water, I only allow my husband to do target practice if he picks up the spent ammo, but I did find it funny when our neighbor (who is always shooting on his property) tried to get us to sign a petition blocking some other neighbor (ok, not really a neighbor, as they were like miles and miles up the road) from selling their property to be turned into a shooting range. He slipped when he mentioned that he used to hunt on that property. I merely commented that if it were a commercial shooting range, they would have to abide by EPA laws that would minimise the exposure of lead to groundwater, whereas leasing the property to hunters was way worse, so no thanks on signing the petition.

Another country dweller here, who burns tree branches and brush from time to time, and who thanks her lucky stars she hasn’t got any neighbors like the OP.

My former neighbor lighted his illegal trash fires at night. So you wouldn’t see the smoke. (I swear, I’m not making this up.)

Yeah, “former neighbor”. (He’s thenceforth only referred to as “The Asshole” by my family.) Fortunately, that’s the only experience/advice I have with this situation, I’m afraid.

How does it impact your life? People live there, they’ve always been burning things, methinks regardless of what the law is, unless you can prove that what they’re doing is causing a lot of harm or is grossly negligent, they are in the right.

I burning your illegal burning.

I totally agree!

And I use a woodstove almost daily right now in my shop to heat it. In the summer we usually have a campfire in the backyard unless there is a fire ban.

BTW, all the firewood is brush and felled trees from our farm.

So, you’ve lived out in the boonies for a couple of months. And the boonies isn’t necessarily what you’d thought it would be. And your neighbors aren’t thrilled with your enlightened demeanor. And even though the EPA weenie makes nice nice noises from his office in the city, you still aren’t getting your way.

If I want to be really uncharitable, I’d say no one asked you and your attitude to move out to the sticks.

But I understand there is an adjustment period. And you could turn out to be really good folks, if given half a chance and trained in right.

But you OP just reeks of self righteous entitlement and busybodiness. Calm the fuck down. Get a feel for your environment before you go on a rampage.

Be polite, be nice, talk seldom and listen much, and you might learn some really valuable things.

Stop running around stirring up shit. The only thing that happens when you stir up shit is you get it all over yourself.
*“I’m sure my neighbors hate me, because nothing pisses off people more than being busted for doing something wrong. The fact that they wouldn’t be busted unless they were wrong probably won’t occur to them, because it’s so much yummier to blame someone else. But I can’t let that stop me. I quit smoking four years ago, and I didn’t move to the country to suck down someone else’s smoke.”
People don’t hate you for being caught at doing something wrong, because 10 to 1, they’re not doing anything wrong. They are going to hate you for being a sanctimonious bitch who thinks she can bully her neighbors.

“(It occurs to me that, lest I appear as though I have a stick up my ass for neighbors, I don’t care what they do on their own property on their own time unless it impacts on my life AND it’s illegal.)”

I call bullshit. You don’t like it, you just try to back up your opinion with the voice of authority. If this was cow manure, you’d be calling up Soil and Water, or an equivalent, saying how they must be doing something wrong, and it smells. Like cows. Eww.

Sorry the picture postcards aren’t quite meshing with the reality.

Fisha-former suburbanite who moved out to the sticks 18 years ago. I love it, but I’ve seen a lot of people just like the OP come and go.

Ummm…am I the only one who gets the feeling that the neighbor isn’t just burning brush, leaves, and branches? I’m getting the idea that he’s burning trash, would would have things like plastic, metal, chemicals, batteries, etc… in it. I agree that an occasional burning of plant matter is ok, but burning garbage isn’t good.

You would have really shit your pants if you’d known my grandfather, who lived in the country in the mountains of western North Carolina. He not only burned household trash, but he, every couple of weeks, took a trailer full of household refuse in garbage bags up into the woods, where he dumped them. !

And, if you happen to be an animal lover, he also had hunting dogs, who were kept chained to their doghouses with no human contact every day of the year, except for when they hunted.

Oh, my, the horrors of country living! Won’t somebody please think of the children?

Oh, that kind of burning. Guess I’m in the wrong thread…

Funny thing about living in the country. You could go shopping—the Wal-mart super store is only 20 miles away—and when you get back your house could be on fire.

I wonder if the EPA guy writes tickets for that?

I’m just saying…

Well, what else would you do with your trash in a rural area? My parents have always, and still do, burn their trash every couple days. Heck, that chore falls on me when I am up there. There isn’t any garbage pick-up offered on their road, and you can’t let it sit or animals might get into it, so what else would you do with it? Make a big pile out back to accumulate over the years?

I live on a one acre lot within the city limits of Chillicothe, Ohio. Burning sticks and leaves in a tended fire ring is perfectly legal where I live. I only burn sticks, the city is pretty good about picking up piles of autumn leaves. I’m pretty sure burning general trash is illegal here in town. On the farms that surround my town, the farmers seem to have the attitude that they will do whatever they please on their land.

Well I don’t have garbage pickup either and as I see it I have 3 options.

1. I can do as my parents did 30 years ago and dig a hole and dump my trash in there. And hope to hell I don’t wreck my groundwater.

2. Rent a garbage bin for $60.00 a month and have the private contractor come bi-weekly to empty it.

3. Take my trash to the dump regularly for the low low price of $2.00 a trip.

I choose #3, because I don’t have enough trash anymore to justify #2. When I first moved back to the farm tho, I did rent a dumpster for a couple of months to clean out all the accumulated crap.

There are options available, but the OP is, IMHO, way too anal and has zero people skills when it comes to dealing with neighbours.