Has a good piece of classical music been written since Jan. 1 1900?

Do you think a good piece of classical music has been written since January 1, 1900?

Igor Stravinsky and Sergei Prokofiev are the only composers I can think of who have written good classical music in the 20th and 21st century.

With all due respect, have you looked?

In America, have you listened to Aaron Copland?

I would argue that Steve Reich has written brilliant classical music - but it is modern and minimalist - but to be performed by orchestras…

Too many to mention…

Here’s something for you to chew on:
Define “good classical music.”

:dubious:

The short answer is Yes.

A lot of people tend to call it “Art Music” these days, to distinguish from A)old music, and B)pop music.

Does Rhapsody in Blue count?

Maurice Ravel? Leroy Anderson?

I thought about Gershwin.

I decided to put him in jazz.

Ravel counts!

His string quartet is amazing.

I have the dope to thank for introducing me to that amazing work.

Well so much for old George then.

< Jumbotron-sized :rolleyes: >

Holst? Orff?

Holst was a great composer. The Planets is a masterpiece.

Orff? I love Carmina Burana.

OK, this thread can serve as an introduction to good 20th and 21 century pieces.

Has a good piece of “Classical” music been written since 1800 for that matter?

Ralph Vaughn Williams.

What a ridiculous question. I’ll assume that you don’t appreciate Varèse, Ives, Berg, Webern, or Schoenberg, let alone the minimalists or the more avant-garde composers of the 20th century and will claim that they don’t count as “good” classical music. But Mahler? Shostakovich? Scriabin? Debussy, fer chrissake? (La Mer is a 20th century work.) Satie? Vaughan Williams? In short, fuck yes.

Well, Prokofiev wrote a classical symphony.

Alan Hovhaness - And God Created Great Whales.

Try composing that for an 18th century orchestra!

Samuel Barber, 1938, Adagio for Strings

Technically, “Classical music” is art music written from approximately the 1720s to the 1820s. Music written after 1900 cannot, by definition, be “Classical music.” I’ve heard modern art music called “20th century classical,” but the modifier’s important. Usually it’s called “modern,” “Avante Garde,” or whatever fits the style.

Yeah, I’m being picky.

Hey, lots of fine orchestral music has been written as movie soundtracks. Surely that must count? If music written for operas can be regarded as great art, why not for movies?

Easy. Too many mouth breathers still go to the movies. Give it 200 years or so.

John Williams has written a dozen or more concertos.