Is there new classical music?

I’m not a classical music buff by any stretch of the imagination. Nor do I follow any of the radio stations that play said music, etc. But I was wondering anyway:

Are there modern composers of orchestral music (if that’s a term) who are held in the same light and respect as the masters such as Bach or Mozart? People whose works will be performed in ampitheatres two hundred years from now and taught to high school violinists or bastardized to play in the O’Hare United terminal tunnel? Folks who everyone, even a musical cretin like myself, would able to identify. I know time is the ultimate test but whose names are bandied about in the classical music scene as the modern prodigy, if anyone’s?

I suppose it depends on what exactly you mean by classical.

Most of John Williams’ works would probably be considered at least “in the classical style” if not completely eligible. He does pure classical too. Last year he composed a Horn Concerto for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and a five movement piece for the Los Angeles Philharmonic for the opening of Walt Disney’s new concert hall. You may also remember that he composed the official theme music for the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympic games.

I’m only a casual follower of classical, but I’m unaware of anyone who commands anything like the respect that Bach and his contemporaries do. It is also important to remember, however, that several quite-well-known composers are fairly contemporary. Benjamin Britten, a well known English composer of many operas, some symphonies, and religious music as well, only died in 1976. Aaron Copeland, American composer of several ballets (including ‘Rodeo,’ the current “Beef, it’s what’s for dinner” music) and symphonies died in 1990. Carl Orff, best known for the ‘Carmina Burana’ (you’ve heard it before…at least the opening…it’s the dramatic music used for often used for climactic, epic fight scenes) died in 1982. Dimitri Shostakovich was a very prolific Russian composer who died in 1975. Heck, Igor Stravinski only died in 1971.

If I had to pick someone who’s alive and composing right now as a bet on whose music will still be around 200 years from now, I’d have to go with John Williams. If I had to pick someone from the 20th century, well, I don’t think you could go wrong with any of the guys I mentioned above.

Do a search; there was a pretty informative thread on this a few weeks back.

Can you give me a hint on the thread title? A three month Cafe Society search on classical music didn’t seem to return what I was looking for but I might have been looking in the wrong place.

Garfield, I guess by “classical” I mainly mean instrumental stuff played by orchestras with the attending people wearing tuxedos :wink: Heh… I guess it’s one of those “you know what I mean, right?” things. I appreciate your answer though.

I believe http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=263746 is the thread in question.

Think I found it. From the end of June: What’s the current state of classical music? Reading it now… thanks.

Ha. I win, by less than a minute. 2 points for me.

Unfortunately, the judge from Lithuania deducts 3 points for failing to give a descriptive link title.