For the love of Black History Month: What's your favorite film?

I don’t think we’ve ever had a thread like this before. Let’s give it a whirl!

What are your favorite movies with either 1) a predominately black cast or 2) black leads. These are the only conditions. Comedies, drama, horror, musicals…they are all allowed. Bonus points for providing reasons.

In no particular order:

The Color Purple (everything is perfect in this movie. I watched it last night for the millionth time)
The Wiz (shut up)
Crooklyn (provides a glimpse into urban family life; very realistic characters and experiences)
The Last Dragon (whenever I feel down on myself, I start thinking “You are the last dragon” and I start glowing)
Trading Places (hilarious comedy. A true classic)
Eve’s Bayou (highlights a culture that is rarely shown, beautiful cinematography, beautiful actors)
Waiting to Exhale (just a very funny movie. Angela Basset was incredible in it)
Raisin in the Sun (WILL-IE!!!)
Mahogany (Do you know where you’re going to?)

Dead Presidents
Ray

“A Soldier’s Story,” based on Charles Fuller’s play.

Not too much of an emphasis on the history part of Black History it would seem. Ah well, here are my choices.

Roots Technically it might not qualify but you put down The Wiz so I don’t wanna hear no back talk.

Glory Not all that accurate but a good movie anyway.
Marc

Ray - one of the best bio pics ever.
Boomerang - Eddie Murphy and young Halle Berry vs. Robin Givens
The Great White Hype - a hilarious (but all too true) boxing movie
41 Rifles - there’s a lot of heat in Jim Brown & Raquel Welch’s love scene
Hollywood Shuffle - very funny and with something to say. The spoof of Siskel & Ebert, “Sneakin In the Movies” was worth the price of admission itself.
The Last King of Scotland & Hotel Rwanda - true to life movies that scared the hell out of me.

Skeleton Key, a good horror film without being gory. Bonus points for good research.

Uptown Saturday Night
Let’s Do It Again
- Sidney Poitier and Bill Cosby - Light but fun 70s comedies

Trading Places - Murphy at his best

Blazing Saddles - “Hey! Where the white women at?”

Star Wars - Vader’s black, right? :smiley:

Hooper: Always some white boy gotta invoke the holy trilogy. Bust this: those movies are about how the white man keep the brother man down, even in a galaxy far, far away. Check this shit: You got cracker farm boy Luke Skywalker, Nazi poster boy, blond hair, blue eyes. And then you got Darth Vader, the blackest brother in the galaxy, Nubian god!
Banky Edwards: What’s a Nubian?
Hooper: Shut the fuck up! Now… Vader, he’s a spiritual brother, y’know, down with the force and all that good shit. Then this cracker, Skywalker, gets his hands on a light saber and the boy decides he’s gonna run the fuckin’ universe; gets a whole clan of whites together. And they go and bust up Vader’s hood, the Death Star. Now what the fuck do you call that?
Banky Edwards: Intergalactic civil war?
Hooper: Gentrification! They gon’ drive out the black element to make the galaxy ‘safe’ for white folks. And Jedi’s the most insulting installment! Because Vader’s beautiful black visage is sullied when he pulls off his mask to reveal a feeble, crusty, old white man! They tryin’ to tell us that deep inside we all wants to be white!
Banky Edwards: Well… isn’t that true?
(Hooper pulls gun and shoots Banky)
Hooper: Black rage! Black rage! I’ll kill every motherfucking last one of you!

silenus, where is that from? That’s freakin’ hilarious!

Chasing Amy - Kevin Smith’s best movie. Definitely worth the rental, if only for this scene.

Youtube link.

The Women of Brewster Place.

Chasing Amy, a film by Kevin Smith.

The first movie that came to mind to me was Blankman. I know, I know, not a particularly grand cinematic feat, but one of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen.

Do the Right Thing.

Black Orpheus - breathtakingly great movie.
Watermelon Man - hilarious - Kafka’s Metamorphosis as racial farce.
Round Midnight and Ray - 'cause I’m a music guy.
Ooh, and Carmen Jones, too.

Oh, I love that movie! Oprah was good in it. It’s amazing how much older she looked than she does now.

Another vote for Blazing Saddles. I don’t know if that’s my favorite movie of all time, but it’s up there.

Monster’s Ball. Berry’s performance alone was outstanding, but the movies was superb as well.

I’m guessing Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner? counts.
I liked Beloved more than most.
And the most moving film I’ve ever seen: Hoop Dreams.

More to the point of Black History Month would be Mississippi Burning (although the leads are white).

Glory is one of my all-time top 10
Antwone Fisher

Standing in the Shadows of Motown

Do The Right Thing

Foxy Brown (she cuts off his dick and gives it to his girlfriend-- how can you not love that?)

Crooklyn (Man, that was exactly what it was like growing up in NYC at that time.)
I want to but both Claudette and Sounder but I haven’t seen either movie since I was young and I’m not sure how they hold up.

Glory I cry just thinking about this movie.

It wasn’t a theatrical release (but instead was an HBO original film) but I quite enjoyed “Something the Lord Made” starring Alan Rickman and Mos Def, about the heart research done by Alfred Blalock and Vivien Thomas. And I usually hate biopics, especially the ones that are supposed to be inspirational, but this was really good.