I just downloaded some free crossword software and spent two hours sweating over an extremely simple grid. Only 40 words, and it still came out awful.
- Even the free software comes with some pretty neat features. It allows you, for example, to click a word you have partially filled, and it gives you all possible one-word solutions for that row.
- It is really hard to resist the temptation to overuse acronyms.
- I think I've misused some crossword conventions. I'm never quite clear, for example, on when to end a clue with a question mark.
- It's tough to have a consistent difficulty. Some of my clues are too obscure (foreign airport codes anybody?), some are too esoteric (chemistry questions?), some are too cute (19-down, if you're interested). But at the same time, many others are total chip shots.
- I set up my grid for tons of 3-letter words. It's too intimidating even to think of anything more complicated.
- We've got Dopers who do this for a LIVING????
Here it is as a pdf. Lemme know what you think:
(warning: loud popups on hosting site)
Any other amateur crossword creators out there?