What would an unloving, unjust, unfair God be like?

In comparison to what we have now?

I asked an ordained minister this question today and her answer was that she couldn’t conceive of such a thing.

I wasn’t expecting such a cop-out, but I guess she was tired.

Anyone else care to give this a shot?

How unfair, unjust, unloving? I mean if we went to the extreme then we could say that such a being would simply have snuffed us all painfully out of existence by now, or would be suspending us in some sort of indefinite torment, or would repeatedly be creating the world merely in order to destroy it again spectacularly.

Probably something like this, with added devouring and insanity and such.

There’s a lot of bad shit in the world, but it certainly could be worse.

But it could be better–a whole LOT better–and that doesn’t stop people from saying that God is awesome lovingkindness. How can we really say God is love if we don’t really know how he’d be if he were hateful?

I guess my point is, isn’t it easier and safer to just say “God is” rather than attributing qualities to him that are not in evidence?

I surely wouldn’t be enjoying sex as much as I do in that world.

The American judicial system.

Let’s see…such a deity might condemn millions of persons in future generations to an eternity of flame, tormet, and being eaten by worms because their ancestors ate and apple.

He or she might also execute the entire population of the world, including newborn babies, because they were wicked, sparing only one man and his family.

He might also order a loyal servant of his to sacrifice his beloved son, causing him days of stress and grief, only to say "Psych!’ at the last moment.

He might send bears to maim and kill several children because they mocked his prophet’s bald head.

He’d definitely be okay with sanctioning raping captive women in war.

Oh, and he’d send plagues all the freaking time.
Why, yes, I have misplaced my Christian faith, why do you ask? And have you seen it? It was in my pocket just a few months ago.

It’s even easier to say that God doesn’t exist, which is the answer that fits observation best IMHO.

As Skald the Rhymer says, such a God would result in what we see now. Of course it could be worse; and in fact, it might BE worse. For example, assuming that there was an afterlife, perhaps everyone goes to hell, and talk of heaven is nothing but lies designed to make the final betrayal hurt worse. Or perhaps only evil people go to Heaven, because they were the ones doing God’s will.

Oh, I’d say the evidence equally fits God being a jerk. I prefer the no-God hypothesis, though, as it is less stressful.

Stupid pants! Not only is my faith in God missing, but also the keys to my Alfa Romeo!

Isn’t this kind of like asking what a blue grapefruit would be like? Inasmuch as the question tells us the answer?

It also fits God being non-omnipotent. But the simpler explanation usually being the correct one, I’m sticking with the no God hypothesis.

Not exactly. We don’t live in a world where millions insist that grapefruits are purple. Except for those heathens over there, who insist that they are plaid.

Please see the Old Testament - and consider it closely…

Or Catholic theology…

More specifics needed.

sigh…

really? … Ok.

It starts with an arbitrary test of "H"is creations - a test he knew they’d fail. Because he’s like… omniscient and all. Or not? I get confused in the narratives as his omniscience gets turned on and off.

Then he casts them out of Eden because well… that fruit (not necessarily an apple). He refuses a sacrifice of veggies since BLOOD is demanded. And knowing how well Cain would handle that rejection he did a rather diplomatic delivery of the news…

And the story keeps getting better. A few highlights. A flood that kills everyone but 8 people. Hardening the heart of Pharoah, then punishing him for allowing that to happen. Telling the Jews to kill EVERYone. Then letting them lose in Ai because one idiot kept stuff - cuz… y’know… they ALL deserved to die.

Fast forward (or backward in time, if you will) to Job. What’d he do wrong? Ok… sure God didn’t do anything but remove his protection… but… REALLY?

Is this not shaping up to be an arbitrary and cold God? A God who plays favorites based solely on race?

And anytime the Jews screw up… it’s time to make 'em slaves - somewhere else.

And we just don’t give enough to God for tithes… that’s the end point of the OT.

Catholicism… if you’re Catholic… you already know you serve an angry God. So… I don’t see a need for a citation. If you aren’t Catholic - you know a lapsed one. Listen for a bit… you’ll see. Teflon’s got nothing on the sticky of Catholic guilt.

I’m atheist, but not militant. Objectively… the OT is pretty darn harsh and I think few independent, reasonable people would seek to refute that.

This God is, at best, unfair* if *he has total control over everything. If He is just a part of an even greater thing that he has no control over he could possibly be loving. There is always the comparison of God being like our father, our father who can’t protect us from the the horrible things in this world but wants the best for us and sometimes has to let us go to let us learn. Is God a puppet of some higher being?

I’m reading the Bible now for the first time and I don’t see a loving God anywhere, or a fair or just God. I’m surprised the minister didn’t say something about how we can’t know God’s will and we will know that he is loving, just and fair but we won’t understand until we die.

That part bothers me a great deal. Pharaoh repeatedly wanting to let the Jews go and God repeatedly changing his heart so God can display his awesome power.

God is an abusive parent who manipulates situations so he can punish us?

I’d have to say ‘ditto’ to those who say things would be pretty much as they are now. Millions of people who are no worse than anyone else suffering horrible illnesses and deaths while vastly worse people prosper; a world populated by people who seem especially designed for evil and malevolence, etc., etc.