Is there a medical name for boogers?

Medical science seems to have term for every minute part, condition, or activity of the human body EXCEPT for boogers. Surely “snot” is not an official medical term. How is a booger referred to in a polite, professional way? For that matter, what is the etymology of “booger”? I once heard the term “muchoid” suggested for a solidified snot but am unable to find it in any dictionary, medical or otherwise, although a Google search turns up exactly one reference for the word, in a short story about the erotic aspects of vomit and puking at http://internetdump.com/users/slaveboy/natalie.htm
“I’m gonna throooowwwwwWWWUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHH!!!” she’d yelled as she dashed toward the lee. She made it just far enough to splatter a thick, yellow column of breakfast all over the wooden rail. She remembered how the slimy, muchoid strings of it had dripped down from the mahogeny. Her viscera stirred, warning her against following the train of thought any farther. She swallowed, trying to get hold of herself. She still had her bucket, if it came to that."**

Well, the context sounds right, but does this qualify as an official definition?

A Mailbag question addressed this- his answer was “nasal secretions”. The implication was that there is no standard term.

Here’s the article:

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbooger.html

Arjuna34

The issue has been discussed before, with no definitive conclusion. I think the closes I’ve seen is “dried mucus”.

Here’s a sample thread:

Speaking of snot…

I would be very grateful if you could all pretend you didn’t see my last post and instead imagined that I had written “what Arjuna34 said.”

Since Arjuna beat me to the Cecil reference, I’ll give the etimology according to Merriam-Webster online:

Main Entry: boog·er
Pronunciation: 'bu-g&r, 'bü-
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of English dialect buggard, boggart, from 1bug + -ard
Date: 1866
1 : BOGEYMAN
2 : a piece of dried nasal mucus

Notice how they don’t give a scientific term. I think “dried nasal mucus” comes closer to my understanding of “booger” than “nasal secretion.” “Secretion” makes me think it’s still a liquid and therefore best termed “snot.”
I don’t get to use the words very often in everyday speach, so I will repeat myself. Booger. Snot. Booger. Snot.
Oh yeah

nasal discharge

Looks like my first guess was on track, I simply misspelled it. There are plenty of references for “mucoid” (minus the “h”), among them http://www.bartleby.com/61/26/M0462600.html At least now you have another pseudo-intellectual sounding insult at your disposal: “Why, you gelatinous mucoid!”

M-W defintion for mucoid (the first def. was an adjective) simply says “mucoprotein.”

mu·co·pro·tein
Pronunciation: "myü-k&-'prO-"tEn also -'prO-tE-&n
Function: noun
Date: 1925
: any of various complex conjugated proteins (as mucins) that contain polysaccharides and occur in body fluids and tissues
If anyone could please dumb this down for me I would be grateful.

The consensus around my paramedic class seems to be mucous plugs

No problem- we all know how slack you are at posting links to columns :wink:

Arjuna34

nasal concretions

I am an RN and actually received an order that read as follows.

“Irrigate nares with normal saline and remove nasal concretions”

This was for a Little old lady who had a nose full of hard boogers.

and Yep I did it,

I’ve seen doctors who mention “nasal congestion”, “mucus plugs” and “concretions”. I think the term “rhinolith” may be the most succinct, though I’ve not really seen it too often. “Nasal calculus” would make sense but seems hard to take seriously.

Other good words:
eructation… belching
tumescence… getting a stiffy
emesis… vomiting
coprolalia… the potty mouth rarely seen in Tourette’s

How about rhinoplaster?

Okay, everybody, on 3…

1…2…3…

WHOOOOOOAUUUUUUUUGHHHHHH… :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice pun, JamesCaroll.
Akash

Oh, Mermaid, just when I was starting to think nurses were overpaid. (You’re all angels.)

Am I gonna lose the ability to pick my own nose?