The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 PM
bouv bouv is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Fuck you, Comcast

I go to the Comcast office Monday to get srevice switched to my new apartment, and as luck would have it, you say that Tuesday is available for a tech to come out and install it. Great! Between 1 and 3 PM...well, I guess only a two hour window is ok. He gets there (at about 2:45, of course,) goes outside to check the lines, comes back in and says I'll all ready to go. I'm dubioius because in the past they've always hooked something up to the line inside, but whatever, he's the tech, not me. I get my "self-install kit" (a useless CD full of bloatware, a cable splitter, and a thity foot coax cable...I would have preferred a thirty foot CAT5 cable and kept the modem close to the cable outlet, but whatever.)

I hook everything up and...nothing. The little link labled "internet" just blinks rapidly. From previous experience I know this means it isn't getting service. I call the 800 number, and the tech does the usual "is everything plugged in correctly" routine, and blah blah blah he determines I don't have service. When I tell him the tech never checked the line inside the house for service he was surprised and said he should have. Great. Thanks a lot, worthless tech. Just because I'm the last place of the day you go to doesn't mean you can just do a half-assed job. I even went outside myself to look at where the line enters the house and it looks like it's cut! The line coes out of the house to a bracket that holds it on the wall and connects it to the cable coming from the utility pole. But the other end of the connector has no cable attached, but there is a cable coming from the pole and attached to the side of the house and hanging there, flapping in the wind. Seriously? The line outside was ok? Fuck you, you lying technician! You clearly didn't even look at it. I don't know how you thought you could get away with not actually installing my service.

I schedule another tech to come by, and as luck would have it, there was a spot today between 3 and 5 PM (it was a miracle that not only did I get two dates that weren't two weeks from now, but during hours I didn't have to work either.) Well, 5 PM came and went and...nothing. I called the 800 number again, got nowhere because they can't find the request from yesterday for the tech to come today. I hang up because the guy on the other line was SOOO SLOOOOOWWW (seriously, it took 16 minutes for the phone call, and all the he did was see that no, there wasn't a service date for today, and then to transfer me to another department to set up another...it took the guy from yesterday four minutes to do that and MORE.)

I went down to the local Comcast office (the one good thing I can say about them is they are actually open until 6 PM!) and tell them my story. They also can't find the record of a service date for today (even after I gave them the confirmation number I was given.) Great. Fan-fucknig-tastic. I could have gotten a date for tomorrow but I'm leaving for a long weekend trip to SC and won't be back until Monday night, which is why I wanted the fucking internet working BEFORE then. So now I have to wait until Tuesday between "8 and 11 AM" for another tech to come by.

Oh, but my account will be credited for the time I don't have service...but only if I re-call the 800 number and go to the billing department...the lady at the office coldn't do that through her computer for some reason. I think when I call I'll try to have the installation fee taken off too, I mean...he didn't actually install anything, so why should I have to pay for it?

(Oh, and before anyone asks, I'm posting from the computer lab ay my old college, because for some reason my ID and password still work...)
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 04-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Even if you could switch to Time Warner things would be just as bad.

I had to explain to eight different people last time I got my service hooked up that I hadn't "failed to return" my previous cable modem, because they had come and picked it up.

Then the tech couldn't get me a connection in the living room. We tried it in the bedroom, and it worked fine. No explanation, not even a hint that they might try to, you know, fix it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2008, 07:28 PM
AskNott AskNott is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Anderson, IN,USA
Posts: 14,071
I'm with ya, bouv. I was on Insight, which was gobbled up by Comcast. So, we went through their little "change your email over to us, it's so easy" dance. They said all my mail from the old address would be forwarded to the new address. They did that part. They also said all my existing inbox and sub-inbox files would be transferred in a day or two. No such luck. They wanted me to run my email through their own system on the Comcast page. That was a PITA for several reasons, including having to use a password every time.

We wrestled with my old Outlook Express to get it to grab all incoming email for both addresses. That was fine until I tried to send out some change of address mail. It won't go. I called Insight/Comcast, and after pressing English, home, internet problem on the menu, I got a prerecorded message, "If you are calling about the red light on the message spot on your cable box, yada, yada, yada..." (Comcast has been sending me daily messages to offer the latest WWE pseudo-wrestling pay per view.) When I finally got to internet service, it rang twice, then I got a phone company voice, "You must dial "1" before dialing this number."

That was two days ago, and they're still covered up. Meanwhile, I can do everything except send out email. I know it does no good to growl at my computer and my phone, but I get a headache every time I go through that stupid phone dance.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 PM
LavenderBlue LavenderBlue is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
I feel for you.

Verizon is alas just as bad.

We had phone and DSL service with them. Last week both were down for five days. Verizon shrugged and muttered at me when I tried to find out WTF was going on.

I switched to Comcast for internet service (I find it faster than DSL) and am currently contemplating other options for landline service. I can't switch out the landline because I need it as backup in case Comcast goes down again.

We had Comcast several years ago. I switched to Verizon for DSL because Comcast went down for over a day several times. I was told DSL would be as reliable as phone service.

Little did I know that phone service from Verizon is not reliable. Not even Ma Bell in the days her monopoly ever left me without phone service that long.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Flander Flander is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Orlando!
Posts: 2,865
Cumcast actually redeemed themselves with me this week(though they are still in the fucking hole). I've been having slow cable internet speeds since I moved into the new apartment and last week it died twice in 2 days. Tech support went through the same bullshit, "disconnect your modem for me and wait 30 seconds". No, I've done that like 30 fucking times. "It must be a bad modem." I replace the modem, still shit. Call Cumcast, they schedule a tech to come by. Now the day the tech comes by, I have internet service, but I want him to look at the lines and shit anyway since he's there. He does some investigating and discovers the cable line is split and all fucked up. He runs up a new cable line, does some tweaking and BAM! I've got wicked internet! Downloading the OpenOffice setup torrent (perfectly legal) used to peak at about 200kB/s. After this, I was over 800kB/s!! WOOT!!


I'm still calling them Cumcast though.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2008, 12:40 AM
wmulax93 wmulax93 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
bouv, stories like yours almost, almost make me miss being a cable tech. It's the easiest fucking job I've ever had, and I made 12k more a year than I do as a teacher.

Seriously, your problem would probably take an hour to fix. That's it. It's wire and connectors. There's no magic involved in cable; as long as one can perform basic arithmetic, one can be an efficient tech.

I used to make people so happy by fixing their stuff. I miss that sometimes. I hate that I read so many bad things about the cable industry, because it's just way too easy to do right.

I was a contractor for CC for a while, though, and they do blow to work with. Your experience as a customer is actually better than that of the average contracted tech. All those stories about techs getting fired for falling asleep on the job? It's always because he or she was on hold with the fucking call center for nearly an hour!

The only issue I have with your rant is with the complaint about the two hour time window. That's pretty much industry standard, and it's sometimes tough to even make that window. Remember, the tech probably has 8-15 houses to go to. Plus, he needs to eat at some point, and fill the van with gas. If something goes wrong at one house, it throws the whole day off. Other than that, I agree about the shitty service you got whole heartedly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2008, 01:41 AM
neutron star neutron star is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
I am convinced that I'm the only person in the history of the universe who ever had a good experience with Comcast. The installer came when he said he'd come, he hooked everything up right, and even found a fault in my existing wiring that had the potential to leave me with slow Internet speeds. He replaced a splitter and swapped a length of RG-59 with RG-6. He seemed so friendly and knowledgeable that I actually called up Comcast after he left to compliment him.

A few months later, I spilled beer on my modem and friend it. They replaced it for free.

I haven't had a single outage since I got service about ten months ago, and I use them for Internet, TV, and phone.

So if you're ever wondering who that single lucky customer is who actually has good experiences with Comcast, it's me. I'm that guy.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2008, 01:46 AM
Dag Otto Dag Otto is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv
I could have gotten a date for tomorrow but I'm leaving for a long weekend trip to SC and won't be back until Monday night, which is why I wanted the fucking internet working BEFORE then. So now I have to wait until Tuesday between "8 and 11 AM" for another tech to come by.
Why do you have to do that? If it's a problem with the outside line, why do you have to be there when they fix it?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-2008, 02:02 AM
Fugazi Fugazi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron star
I am convinced that I'm the only person in the history of the universe who ever had a good experience with Comcast. <<snip>>

So if you're ever wondering who that single lucky customer is who actually has good experiences with Comcast, it's me. I'm that guy.
Nope, I'm quite happy with Comcast too. Well, other than the price. I've had my TV, phones & Internet with them for 8 years now. My download speeds are blazing fast, and I've had maybe 2 or 3 outages the whole time. Those outages only lasted a few hours.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Amblydoper Amblydoper is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I had a notice on my door when I came home that said Comcast discovered a leaky signal, blah blah, not FCC compliant, Blah blah blah. One tech came and said it was because of the surge protector I plugged my coax into (Monster Power strip, got it cheap with my TV). He disconnected that, changed some wires, and called it good. Next couple days, my service was horrible, so two other techs came out, and discovered the squirrels* that lived in the roof were chewing through the cable. They replaced the entire line from the outside box to my outlet, and everything was peachy after that. All at no expense to me, as it should be.

* Damn things also chewed through my screen door, raided a bag of pretzels nearby, and pooped on my desk on the way out. Don't tell the animal rights activists what I did to those little fuckers!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Khadaji Khadaji is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southern Pennsylvania
Posts: 21,600
I hate comcast nearly more than any other company I deal with. I am still thinking about giving one of the dish networks a try.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 AM
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Nasty Nati
Posts: 14,910
Wow, I never realized Comcast had such long tentacles! All the way up to Vermont, huh?

In Indiana where I live, we have Comcast as well. Everything I have is through them, Cable/HD TV, long distance, internet. My bill is kind of steep, but everything seems to work OK.

My biggest beef with Comcast is that I can never seem to get through on their customer service line.

In fact, they had double-billed me for an On Demand movie that my family and I had to order twice because the first attempt resulted in a herky-jerky, unviewable broadcast, so when I tried to call them (repeatedly), I would be on hold after negotiating their automated system, only to have the computer voice come on and say "Sorry, we cannot connect you right now. Goodbye." and then hang up on me!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Oredigger77 Oredigger77 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji
I hate comcast nearly more than any other company I deal with. I am still thinking about giving one of the dish networks a try.
Don't itís not worth it. I just moved to an area with out a major provider so I got DirecTV instead so shitty local cable. It was a huge mistake. It took me 3 weeks after my first appointment to get the dish installed and I'm still sure its not right.

The first guy showed up with two dishes I told him that I only need one and I only was allowed one in my association rules. Well he was upset because it meant less money, he told me this, and was on the phone with the home office for 30 min to change the work order well then he discovered that the house came with an exterior line leading to a smart box which then sent signal all over the house. Well apparently this set up wont work with DirecTV and he couldn't install anything.

About three weeks later I finally got another Tech over to the house it took him 4 hrs to install the dish on the roof and then he routed around my smart box so I can't move my receiver to another room. I'm sure there is a better way.

During this I had problems getting my DSL. I ordered DSL with Quest the same Day I ordered with DirecTV. I got a tech to come out the next day and I didn't need to be there I was amazed. I came home from work and my modem was sitting on the doorstep. I went in and hooked it up and nothing happened. I called quest and they told me that my installation had been put on hold indefinitely for an unknown reason. I came home the next day to find a 10' long trench 2' deep going through my side yard to my telephone box. I called Quest and they still had no information so I called up my builder. It turned out that he had wired the house wrong externally and had to fix it but once it was done he would call Quest and they could finish the installation. A week went by, the trench was gone and I still had no DSL so I called the builder back and he said the he had notified Quest. I called them and the phone operator told me that DSL was not offered in my area and I would need to pay to ship the modem back to them. I just hung up because I needed to scream and yelling at the operator does no good. I called back the next day and had a different operator check and DSL was available and a tech would be out in a week to finish the exterior installation.

So ya I was down almost a month waiting on people to get satellite and DSL installed switching wonít get rid of your headache.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-03-2008, 11:08 AM
bouv bouv is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil
Wow, I never realized Comcast had such long tentacles! All the way up to Vermont, huh?
Used to be Adelphia, but they got bought out. I had Time Warner when I lived in NY and never had any problems at all. Once it was set up it ran fine at both apartments I had. I know that both Comcast and TW were bidding on who got to take over the Adelphia service here, and the worst (IMO) company won. There's also a small independent local cable company here, Burlington Telecom, but they are new and only have service to a few select areas (and just in Burlington, not in any other part of the state,) my apartment of course not bring one of them.

And I have to be there because someone has to sign the slip saying yes, the tech was there and so forth. Plus, since obviously something went wrong the first time, I'm guessing they want to be damn sure that I personally say "yes, it's working now" before the second tech leaves.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Solfy Solfy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderBlue
I feel for you.

Verizon is alas just as bad.

We had phone and DSL service with them. Last week both were down for five days. Verizon shrugged and muttered at me when I tried to find out WTF was going on.

I switched to Comcast for internet service (I find it faster than DSL) and am currently contemplating other options for landline service. I can't switch out the landline because I need it as backup in case Comcast goes down again.

We had Comcast several years ago. I switched to Verizon for DSL because Comcast went down for over a day several times. I was told DSL would be as reliable as phone service.

Little did I know that phone service from Verizon is not reliable. Not even Ma Bell in the days her monopoly ever left me without phone service that long.
You too?!
Two weeks ago the phone/DSL went out on a Thursday. It was out most of the day, but service would come back on for brief (1/2hr) stretches, then it would go out again for five hours. I called for service. The automated voice told me,"We can schedule your service between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday."
Tuesday?!
Tuesday.
I requested a person. Who told me the same thing. I told her that wasn't acceptable. She said she could put me in "the bucket" for a possible service for the following day, but if there wasn't a time available, they wouldn't be able to do anything until Tuesday. Fine, put me in the bucket.
The next morning the technician called during one of our brief non-outtages (innage?) to confirm that we had service and therefore everything must be fine so he doesn't have to do anything, right? I told him it was sporradic. He mumbled something about having to be down our way anyway. The phone came back that afternoon and the automated service told me a problem with the lines had been fixed.

Now all of this wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the third time we've had this happen in nine months. And each time we're several days with no phone, and each time it's a problem with Verizon's lines, and each time it's a 10hr service window. Except the first time no one came for the 10hr window. Or the 4hr one the next day. Or the 4hr one the day after that. (the third day they were two hours outside the window, but at least they came)

I've got Comcast cable. Our On Demand isn't working. I've left that one for my husband to figure out, as I'm out of patience for customer service at this time.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Cervaise Cervaise is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Comcast is pretty bad, but all the other options in my area are worse. If I had a better one I'd switch in a nanosecond.

The worst part, for me, is the upsell drumbeat. The last time I had a tech in my house, he had to do some sort of tuning on the line; I don't know what he did, but the modem could see there was a signal but couldn't lock in on it for some reason. He brought up a hidden menu on the cable box and tweaked some settings.

Then he started in with all the products and services I could take advantage of. Line insurance, rewiring the house, new sockets, the list was endless.

Finally, I said, Look, I know your managerial stringpullers tell you to do this, but as far as I'm concerned we're done. The signal is working, I have cable and internet, thank you and that's it. Don't ask me anything else. Tell them I said no. Goodbye. No, I mean it. No, I don't want that either. Stop asking. Again, I know they force you to do this. Just tell them I said no to everything no matter how many times you asked. Whatever it takes. Goodbye!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM
UncleBeer UncleBeer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
I can top all these Comcast stories. Comcast currently owes me well over $150,000.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Mycroft H. Mycroft H. is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
OK, I'll bite. What's the story behind that!? (That is, if your lawyers will allow you to tell us.)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft H.
OK, I'll bite. What's the story behind that!? (That is, if your lawyers will allow you to tell us.)
He paid last month's bill twice, probably.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Cervaise Cervaise is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Winner.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Kozmik Kozmik is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
It's Comcastic!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Musicat Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 17,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBeer
I can top all these Comcast stories. Comcast currently owes me well over $150,000.
Let me guess -- you wrote a check for $150 and they cashed it for $150,000. And now they claim it takes 2 months for a refund, right?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Musicat Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 17,541
I don't think the problem is so much Comcast or Charter (my local company) or any other communications provider specifically. The problem is bureaucracy in a highly profitable market.

When I first signed up with Charter for Internet service, they failed to enter the MAC number for my modem, so I didn't get any service for days until I complained. Then they limited my service to the lowest speed even though I was paying for a higher rate.

And when I added telephone service to their system, they installed a telephone modem with a socket for an optional backup battery. Charter does not supply or sell batteries (how hard would it be to carry a few batteries in the tech's van?), and the tech wrote down the model number of the modem so I could purchase a battery elsewhere.

When the battery arrived, it was the wrong size for the modem. Silly me, I read the tech's inaccurate notes when I ordered the batt instead of reading the model off the case, and I ordered the wrong one.

When I finally got the right battery, I saw that it was only half the size of the compartment, and I could have ordered a larger model with greater capacity if only I knew. Wouldn't it have been nice if the tech had told me that?

OTOH, Charter's service (cable TV, phone, Internet) has been reasonably reliable for 2 years.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 AM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji
I hate comcast nearly more than any other company I deal with. I am still thinking about giving one of the dish networks a try.
That's what we just did. Supervenusfreak's brother is autistic, and he loves game shows. Comcast moved the Gameshow Network to digital channels, and we still had an analog box in his brother's room. This was unacceptable, because he cannot be without his GSN. So we ordered a digital box for his room. When it came, it didn't work. So we ordered a replacement. It didn't work either. We had a tech come out and tell us that apparently the wires had been chewed through (by what, we have no idea...we don't really believe him, either) and they wanted to charge us a ginormous amount of money to repair it all.

Supervenusfreak told them to go pound sand and called DirecTV. We got three boxes, two DVRs, and 3 months of free Starz, and the monthly is actually a little less than we were paying for ComCast. Plus they have a synergy type thing going on with Verizon (our phone and DSL provider), so we're saving even more money!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
UncleBeer UncleBeer is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBeer
I can top all these Comcast stories. Comcast currently owes me well over $150,000.
Contract Engineer.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Gangster Octopus Gangster Octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
The thing I hated most about Comcast was the super incredible crappy DVR box from Motorola that they used. Worst.Interface.Ever. We just switched to Direct TV and so far so good.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-04-2008, 12:17 PM
gonzomax gonzomax is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 26,307
Comcast is like having a disease. It slowly eats away at you. You get it for what seems to be a decent price. Then the bill comes and a note is included saying we have removed a couple channels and are adding a couple bucks to your bill because we feel like it. A year or so later Comcast is very expensive. So you research and go through all the trouble of changing . They then get all gay over the equipment. Rather than hire people to pick up the box, they expect you to disconnect the equipment and bring it in to their office. If it is not all there they send you a huge bill for stolen equipment. They are fun to deal with.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-05-2008, 12:05 AM
ComcastCares ComcastCares is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bouy,
On behalf of Comcast I want to apologize for that experience. If you need assistance in getting this rectified, please send us an email.

Thank you for being a Comcast Customer!

Frank Eliason
Comcast Executive Offices
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-05-2008, 03:07 AM
Cervaise Cervaise is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999


They're wa-a-a-atching you... Ev-ery-whe-e-e-ere...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-05-2008, 03:38 AM
Amblydoper Amblydoper is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Seriously???
Why would a Comcast rep sign up for a guest account on a message board to offer a customer assistance? This reeks of Phishing, if you ask me, or maybe a smelly sock, hard to tell.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-05-2008, 03:57 AM
Amblydoper Amblydoper is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
OK, I googled the above Comcast address, and it seems Frank E. and Mark C are browsing a ton of random blogs. They seem to show up quickly anytime a blogger complains about Comcast. More then once, the bloggers are "concerned" about the questionable reply, but one of the bloggers came back to say that Frank actually helped in some way. (No details)

Whether this is actually Comcast, or if it is some Phishing scam (one reply specifically asked for contact information), I don't know. It is questionable, however, and I think if Frank and Mark really do work at Comcast, they need to reconsider if this tactic is appropriate. If Comcast "cares" they should look into other methods of reaching out to their dissatisfied customers.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-05-2008, 04:26 AM
Wheeljack Wheeljack is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Like anything, it's kind of a crapshoot. My wife and I both spent a whole day babysitting the house on the day of our appointment to get new service installed. Not only did no one show up, but when I called to complain the rep said that the tech had come by the house twice, knocked on each of the doors, and called both of our phones. I told the rep that our tech was lying to her. She got someone else out first thing the next morning, and he even buried our drop line for us.

What kind of boneheaded maneuver was that? Like I'm not going to call and complain, and the rep isn't going to read me the notes, and I'm not going to tell them that the tech is lying. Not that they have any reason to believe me; I'm sure they get that complaint every day, but still, jeez.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-05-2008, 04:56 AM
Cervaise Cervaise is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoG888
If Comcast "cares" they should look into other methods of reaching out to their dissatisfied customers.
If Comcast cared they wouldn't treat their customers like shit in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-05-2008, 08:23 AM
FoieGrasIsEvil FoieGrasIsEvil is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Nasty Nati
Posts: 14,910
So what are the chances of seeing Comcast Cares debating minutae in GD?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Count Blucher Count Blucher is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmik
It's Comcastic!
Q: are you using Comcasm...?

I was drawn to this thread as my email and all of Comcast's websites seem to be down right now. Just wasted 15 minutes waiting to hear, "yes its down, no I don't know whats wrong, yes we're working on it, no I have no idea when or what day it will be fixed. But thank you for choosing Comcast!"

Look, I get you don't know whats wrong. I get you're working on fixing the problem. I get that you can't credit our billing. That said, how hard would it be to filter back to us some kind of an ETA on the fix? Even an educated guess is better than festering shmooze and glurg. (See a Dr about that will you? It smells terrible and is dripping on the floor...)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-05-2008, 05:49 PM
gonzomax gonzomax is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 26,307
I have a dish. I can not picture going back to Comcrash. They now have a rule. If your downtime does not reach the arbitrary limit they set,you still have to pay the full bill. We had them for a long time. I tracked how much down time I had and prorated the check. They did not like that.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-08-2008, 11:04 AM
bouv bouv is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv
So now I have to wait until Tuesday between "8 and 11 AM" for another tech to come by.
I'll give you one guess as to who didn't show up today between 8 and 11 AM.

No wait, scratch that, I'll give you no guesses. It's Comcast. Comcast didn't show up today between 8 and 11 AM because they are fucking retards that have no idea what the fuck they are doing.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-08-2008, 11:37 AM
mhendo mhendo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
So, did you get in touch with Frank? I mean, don't let the fact that he couldn't get your username right put you off.

Last edited by mhendo; 04-08-2008 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 PM
gonzomax gonzomax is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 26,307
Comcast even advertises with kids informing the adults of the error of their cable ways. The insults never go deep enough. The 12 year old cutting grass knows so much more than the adult. Companies that advertise with a kid informing you of how stupid you are irritate me. It gives me an appreciation of what they really think of their customer base.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-09-2008, 10:34 AM
bouv bouv is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
So once again I trotted on down to the Comcast office (I never get anywhere with blasted 800 numbers,) and get this: they tell me the appointment was canceled. They don't know by whom or why, just that it was canceled last Thursday (the day after I made it.) So now I have to wait until tomorrow between 9 and 11 (in theory...) to get my god damn service I should have had at the start of last week. Oh, and my first bill came, and surprise surprise, it's for a full month, so I'll have to call and bitch at someone about that.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 AM
jayjay jayjay is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
The phrase "The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" should have been created in reference to regional cable companies with local offices, because nobody in regional knows what anyone in the local office is doing, and vice versa. So the people you talk to on that 800 number have no idea what's actually going on at your local cable office, they don't really care, and they don't have the actual tools to be able to do so.

Last edited by jayjay; 04-09-2008 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Leah M Leah M is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv
Used to be Adelphia, but they got bought out. I had Time Warner when I lived in NY and never had any problems at all. Once it was set up it ran fine at both apartments I had. I know that both Comcast and TW were bidding on who got to take over the Adelphia service here, and the worst (IMO) company won. There's also a small independent local cable company here, Burlington Telecom, but they are new and only have service to a few select areas (and just in Burlington, not in any other part of the state,) my apartment of course not bring one of them.
VTers, ahoy.

I dislike Comcast at times, and we've had some minor problems, but the problems we had with Adelphia made me want to kill things. I lived in Burlington when the switchover was made, and though I was getting slower speeds all around on Comcast, the service itself was more reliable, IMHO.

We've had internet service since moving to our house here, and we were thinking about signing up for cable also. (We currently have no cable television in the house, we just watch DVDs and videos). There were some great packages being offered for internet + cable.

Only to new customers, natch. Not just new customers to a service, new customers, period.

Also, when I moved out of my old apartment, they refused to come pick up the modem and made me find a way to get to their office to return it myself, despite the fact I do not have a car or drive at all, period.

When we had Adelphia, though, the service was out at least once a week, for God's sake. It was impossible to do anything. Calling up the techs was aggravation of the hairpulling kind. Every solution to a problem was, 'Unplug the modem for 30 seconds'. Yeah, did that. About 100000000000000000000 times. It is still not working. We are not getting a signal. FIX IT. Argh.

The only time it ever went out and wasn't their fault was when a squirrel barbecued itself on a transformer. Zzzzzzt! Whoopsie. Course, there was no power at all, then.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv
I'll give you one guess as to who didn't show up today between 8 and 11 AM.

No wait, scratch that, I'll give you no guesses. It's Comcast. Comcast didn't show up today between 8 and 11 AM because they are fucking retards that have no idea what the fuck they are doing.
I eagerly await the follow-up from ComcastCares.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-09-2008, 05:34 PM
vibrotronica vibrotronica is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
I had a billing dispute with Comcast that lasted for more than a year. They can't seem to figure out how to send a bill to my house. When we were forceably switched over from Time Warner, we started getting collection calls from them before we had ever received a bill. They're the worst company in America.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Gangster Octopus Gangster Octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibrotronica
I had a billing dispute with Comcast that lasted for more than a year. They can't seem to figure out how to send a bill to my house. When we were forceably switched over from Time Warner, we started getting collection calls from them before we had ever received a bill. They're the worst company in America.
Worse than Nazi Baby Brokers and Puppy Mills, Inc?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Miller Miller is offline
Sith Mod
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 36,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComcastCares
Bouy,
On behalf of Comcast I want to apologize for that experience. If you need assistance in getting this rectified, please send us an email.

Thank you for being a Comcast Customer!

Frank Eliason
Comcast Executive Offices
We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com
Nice job on getting his name right, Frank. That goes a long way towards reversing the perception that Comcast doesn't pay attention to it's customers.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-10-2008, 04:05 AM
Captain_C Captain_C is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
I recently cancelled my service when Comcast decided to block all bittorrent uploads. Now, I can follow their logic: bittorrent is heavy on bandwidth and has many illegal uses. However, the part that got to me was that they wouldn't admit they were blocking it.

Yes, that's right. Even though my bittorrent client was constantly receiving packets from Comcast servers telling it to stop all uploading torrents, and I could trace this back mind you, the Comcast tech support reps would swear up and down that they were not limiting my service in any way.

A bit of googling and I stumble across this: http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-uses...niques-080225/

Seriously Comcast, if you aren't going to allow bittorrent on your network, at least have the balls to admit it so I can quietly just find another ISP instead of wasting the time of both me and your tech support.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-10-2008, 04:27 PM
bouv bouv is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Well, I FINALLY got my internet up and running. And yeah, I was right...the line to my apartment wasn't even connected, both at the outside of the house AND where the line met up with the "main" line on the utility pole! I will say this, though: the tech I had today was great. He connected the lines, stayed here to make sure it worked, gave me tips on how to make the signal better (which means no cable splitters, which I had to use to get the cable long enough to where my computer was...even though the splitters are what Comcast GAVE me in the install kit!)

He was also clearly intent on finding out who was here last week and what he actually did do (I hope that tech gets an ass-reaming.) I mean, how do you not even fucking notice the line isn't even attached?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Skammer Skammer is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Music City USA
Posts: 12,786
I literally had the best phone conversation in years yesterday:

"Thank you for calling Comcast. How can I help you?"
"Yeah, I'm calling to disconnect my service."
"Is that your television service or internet?"
"Yes."

Just last week I switched to DSL internet and satellite TV. I get a more reliable connection, way more channels and HD, and I'm paying about $25 less per month. Screw you Comcast!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.