Animals nobody eats

Any animal that is no poisonous is probably edible, but some simply are not eaten. Koreans eat dogs, but I’ve never heard of a culture that eats cats. Oh, when a city is under siege or something, alley cats might find themselves being cooked and served up as “roof rabbits,” but there’s no national cuisine, AFAIK, where cats are a regular item on the menu. Any others?

Anybody eat badgers or porcupines?

I’ve seen a lot of travel shows where the host eats bizarre foods, and I’ve never seen any eat peacock.

Cat meat is popular in the Jiaozhou and Shantou areas of Guangdong province.

Badger meat was until recently eaten in parts of Spain.

Lions, hippos, rhinos, giraffes, other African savannah type creatures?

Nobody eats platypus as far as I know.

I don’t think there is any common animal that is not poisonous to consume, that somebody hasn’t eaten. This means any rare impossible to get creature isn’t included.

Moles?

Not a regular item, perhaps, but cats are eaten in some parts of China. I’ve seen cats sold in markets and it didn’t look like they were meant to be bought as pets. Peacocks were sometimes eaten in the middle ages, with a few recipes surviving, and again eaten in some parts of China.

I don’t think there is anything edible that wasn’t eaten, when possible, at some point, somewhere.

Hamsters?

Not enough meat for the effort, I assume.

Skunks?

I once saw a photo spread in National Geographic or something of a tribe of pygmies butchering a hippo for meat.

Don’t be so sure. Peruvians eat guinea pigs, and based on this thread, some people are fond of squirrel.

I doubt anyone would eat a vulture.

I’m not sure whether this is the case anymore, but the book I’m currently reading on the history of Food indicates that female peacocks were eaten at one point in ancient Rome.

It also indicates that it was consumed in Renaissance Europe, as an upperclass delicacy, and recipes appear in surviving cookbooks from the era.

Rats? Anybody eat rats?

In James Clavell’s novel King Rat, the King and his friends raise rats and sell the meat to the officers, but they tell them it’s nutria or something and they eat none themselves.

Popular or done by some?

:confused:

I came in to say skunks, but was beaten to it. I’ll go with hyenas. No one would eat a hyena.

How about shrews, voles, eagles, or tigers? Do people eat those?

female peacock = peahen :slight_smile: