What's Obama's serif font? (Do font questions go in Café?)

I’ve successfully Googled and determined that Obama’s campaign uses Gotham for its signature sans-serif font ([yours for $199](Fonts by Hoefler&Co.)). But I was trying to figure out what his serif font (this one) is. Any ideas?

Don’t know…but whoever designed that banner needs to spend more time kerning. The “yo” pairs really bug me.

Dammit.

I could not tell what in the world you were talking about. So I looked up kerning on Wikipedia. I studied the examples. Then I looked at the Obama banner again. And now I see it. Oh God, I see it! I can’t make it go away!

Some things are best left unlearned.

-FrL-

InevitableNomineePleaseGoAwayHillaryBold?

I’m not sure it will answer your question, but here’s a bunch of background on the fonts used by the Obama campaign.

I’m glad I’m not the only type dork that noticed that. I know Photoshop isn’t the best program for working with type, but yeesh… it looks like they force-justified the first two lines, making W a s h i n g t o n all spaced out.

And it looks kind of like Georgia to me.

I didn’t follow your wise advice. No, no, I followed your research steps and then went and looked. Grr.

Mwa-ha-ha!

Don’t you just love the warm feeling you get when an evil plan comes to fruition?

No, it is Georgia, especially because of the 'o8

"I’M ASKING YOU TO BELIEVE.

It’s probably Georgia with a different kerning scheme, as someone alluded to above.

It’s definitely justified with letterspacing and hanging punctuation. And yes, the kerning sucks.

And the “Obama’08” is not the same font as the rest.

I was going to say the exact thing. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t crazy, and the “I ’ m” really clinches it for me.

You might try the WhatTheFont page, which automatically IDs fonts from sample images. I’ve had good results with it in the past.

Hey, thanks for that link–by doing a little poking around, I managed to find a font that a friend lost a couple months ago. She is going to be stoked.

:rolleyes:

I guess I’m happily ignorant, then. The banner looks OK to me.

As did I. :smack:

Kerning isn’t typically done for non-display size type.

It may be open to debate whether that particular YO is display size or text size, but it isn’t that large, and doesn’t bother me much. And I am pretty easily bothered by such stuff.

Each to his own.