Best cleanser to get off baked-on grease?

My stove top has some badly baked-on grease. Easy-off oven cleaner might help, but its fumes make me sick. Is there anything that will cut through this baked-on mess?

I thought about putting this in GQ, but maybe this is more of an opinion thing.

Go to the laundry section and buy some Washing Soda. Make a paste with water, spread it on, let it sit a couple of hours, wipe off.

Problem solved. Washing Soda is cheap, green, and cuts through baked on grease if you give it time to work.

I don’t know if it works on baked on stuff, but for general kitchen grime and grease, that orange stuff you can get on the dollar shelf of a lot of stores is a miracle worker! I love it!

I’ve used 409 or something like that, and let it sit for a while, then use a green scrubby pad to remove it.

My other alternative is to move. :wink:

Baked-on grease is ugly. I suggest a glory hole.

This got asked last week in GQ, oddly enough.

I’ve had good results from those Magic Eraser sponges.

If the surface can handle it, scrubbing with a Brillo pad works, but it might scratch some finishes.

If you’re into industrial-strength chemistry, get some Carbon Off at the local restaurant supply shop.

If it’s cooked to a carbon layer then you’re not cleaning grease, you’re cleaning carbon. The only thing I can think of beyond oven cleaner for carbon would be an aviation product such as carbon-X and I don’t know if that works on the hard stuff. It’s more for cleaning exhaust residue off the bottom of aircraft.

You don’t need to move; just buy a new stove! :slight_smile:

Magic Eraser and Simple Green.

I second the orange stuff at the $1 store. I have something called “LA’s AWESOME Orange Cleaner” and it does wonders on grease. Also a lot of good old-fashioned elbow grease. And if it’s really baked on, scraping it with a knife or putty knife.

StG

I generally have good luck and no scratching with SofScrub, but your issue sounds like it might be a little too tough for that.

Pour some ammonia on it. Let it sit for a while. Wipe it off. I personally hate the smell/fumes from ammonia, and thus use it rarely, but it works so well I can’t give it up…

Will those work as well on nonstick cookware? I sprayed a couple of my cookie sheets to do calzones this weekend and the grease baked on where it wasn’t covered. Scrubbing worked somewhat, but it still needs work.

Before I posted I googled ‘baked on grease’ and got a lot of sites telling me how to clean pans. Here was one:

I’ve found the dryer sheet tip to be only marginally useful, at least with soaking my crock pot liner.

I hear washing soda is superior to baking soda, but if you don’t have it handy (it can be hard to find in parts of the country, I haven’t found it here), the same paste trick with baking soda can be a miracle worker.

Also, if you have still greasy grease, straight Dawn and boiling water.

There is a product called Easy Off Fume Free Max. I use it. I pass out from regular Easy Off, but this is fine.

Thanks for all the replies! I have decided to first give Easy Off Fume Free Max a try, since it seemed to me to have a high likelihood of needing the least amount of work from me…

But I’ve saved the link in case I have to try the other solutions.