The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 08-01-2008, 03:26 AM

Why does it feel "good" to hurt your gums and teeth?

Right now I'm idly sticking a toothpick between two of my molars, really jamming it in there so it squeezes against the gums and the flesh between the teeth. It hurts, but it's also quite pleasurable. I know I'm not alone in this either - other people have said they feel the same way.

When I was a kid and I'd get a loose tooth, I'd just keep wiggling and wiggling it until eventually it came out. Because I liked the sensation of it. It's hard to put into words. It's definitely pain. But I wouldn't just prick my arm with a toothpick for no reason. I don't get any pleasure out of that whatsoever, nor on any other part of my body. But for some reason, poking my gums with sharp objects makes me feel good.

Why is this?

And it's not so much the outer areas of the gums - it's really just the parts of the gums that are right between or around the teeth.

Last edited by Argent Towers; 08-01-2008 at 03:27 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 08-01-2008, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

They're sensitive and pleasurable, and I've read that the 'touch' nerves in the gums are some of the first to fully develop. Which is why infants are always putting things in their mouths. It's not because they want to eat things, it's so they can get a better feel of it. It's curiousity, not hunger.
I read that, anyway.

Last edited by Bear_Nenno; 08-01-2008 at 05:19 AM..
Old 08-01-2008, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Holy crap. I hate sticking things between my teeth! The mere thought of it is making my skin crawl. Eeuuggh...
Old 08-01-2008, 06:02 AM

With me, sometimes, there's a very mild sensation that is annoying, and replacing it with a stronger sensation is pleasurable. I just generally don't like light touching anywhere, though, and will rub myself fairly hard if I brush something lightly.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:35 AM

I'll second you Towers, I know the exact feeling you speak of. Might it have something to do with helping the body enjoy less-than kosher once upon a caveman era? I'd imagine our teeth to be a bit less white a straight thousands of years ago, possibly chronic toothaches were the rule rather than the exception, and this type of strange sensation was what made eating bearable with a tender mouth.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:51 AM

this is why I look forward to my 6 month dental checkups. When the hygeineist gets the pick way in the back and hits that sweet spot that hurts but feels good too. Weird.

And to press on a bruise too, that feels good in a hurty kind of way. In fact anny injury I get I always have to touch it, [ress it caress it until Im used to touching it and the pain is no longer a surprise but familiar and no longer scary.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 AM

Although your example is not sexual, it sounds exactly like the way a lot of women describe having their nipples pinched or being spanked; it hurts a little bit, but it feels even better.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

So I took a uhhhh.
A fork
Yeah a fork and I jammed it right in my uuhhh
Your nose
Yeah, I really shoved it up there, then I took a ahhh
A C-Clamp
Yeah and I just started cranking it down on my
On your ear lobe
Yeah, my ear lobe, I just cranked it down as hard as I could.

Anyone else reminded of this?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvvat
I'll second you Towers, I know the exact feeling you speak of. Might it have something to do with helping the body enjoy less-than kosher once upon a caveman era? I'd imagine our teeth to be a bit less white a straight thousands of years ago, possibly chronic toothaches were the rule rather than the exception, and this type of strange sensation was what made eating bearable with a tender mouth.
What is this white of which you speak?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:29 AM
BANNED

Maybe it's just me, but contact on my teeth and gums I hate. That doesn't count eating obviously..but having them cleaned or cleaning them myself is not a pleasurable experience.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder
What is this white of which you speak?
That funny.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers
Right now I'm idly sticking a toothpick between two of my molars, really jamming it in there so it squeezes against the gums and the flesh between the teeth. It hurts, but it's also quite pleasurable. I know I'm not alone in this either - other people have said they feel the same way.

When I was a kid and I'd get a loose tooth, I'd just keep wiggling and wiggling it until eventually it came out. Because I liked the sensation of it. It's hard to put into words. It's definitely pain. But I wouldn't just prick my arm with a toothpick for no reason. I don't get any pleasure out of that whatsoever, nor on any other part of my body. But for some reason, poking my gums with sharp objects makes me feel good.

Why is this?
Because you're nuts.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

I know what you are talking about. It is similar to "cutting" which happens mostly in younger females. Cutting can become a very serious addiction with bad consequences like scarring and hiding it from family and friends. There are probably a few factors at play but one is the release of endogenous opiates like endorphins triggered by certain types of pain.

A few years ago, I got into the habit of jamming things like straightened paper clips or whatever else was there under my fingernails. I barely realized I was doing it and it hurt but also triggered a small and distracting high. I started to damage the nail beds pretty far down and I made an effort to stop.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:08 PM

I wonder if the sensation the OP is describing is in any way related to that which makes kissing pleasurable? Sure, a toothpick is a far cry from someone else's tongue, but maybe there's an all-purpose setup of nerves in the mouth that covers both?

Also, if I might ask the OP, do you enjoy going to the dentist's? Someone mentioned they did. I really can't conceive of such a thing. Probably because I'm too busy pleading with a silent god that I don't have any cavities this time around.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 PM

I'm familiar with the sensation you describe - it's very similar to what you get when you poke or scratch at a healing wound or scab, or a charlie horse finally releases, or you relieve the itching in your ears with a Q-Tip (and yes, I know that I'm not supposed to do that!).

(I have always thought that it's because the nerves are already sensitized, and you're stimulating them in a different way than the existing the pain signals. But I'm no doctor and shouldn't be putting wild guesses in GQ.)
Old 08-01-2008, 03:58 PM

It might be that your gums are a bit inflamed, and that inflamed gums like the sensation of pressure. Can you remember what it felt like to cut your adult teeth after your milk teeth came out? Pressure on the tender, inflamed place was simultaneously painful and pleasurable. My wisdom teeth cut through when I was in my 20's, and I remember biting down on popsicle sticks and how good it felt, particularly when the point of the tooth first broke through.

Maybe the phenomenon exists because if it didn't, babies wouldn't feel the instinct to bite on things when they're teething.

Nowadays I have an inflamed place between two molars, due to the teeth being a bit too far apart and crud getting lodged in there. I too like to introduce a toothpick in between the teeth and rub the gum. Seems to relieve the tenderness a bit.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:17 AM

I'll just add to the chorus of "me too"s.

If I don't floss for several days then my gums feels exquisite near the incisors and canines when I finally do, especially if a little blood comes out from the plaque. It's a little perverted because sometimes a little shiver will run through my body. If only a gumgasm were possible.

And when I had my wisdom teeth removed I had a lot of fun running my tongue over the warzone that was my back gums. Mmmm.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:06 AM

I thought I was the only one who felt this.

When I was a kid, every time I got a loose tooth, it never stayed loose long because I would twist it back and forth until it came out. I loved twisting a tooth 180 then 360 degrees. And clenching my teeth.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:51 AM

Clean teeth are healthy teeth...

It pretty likely that the sensations verging or even becoming painful in cleaning teeth can be "enjoyed" is something that is hard wired into us. From an evolutionary aspect, tooth/mouth "grooming" and maintenence would be a positive trait as it increased the organisms' likelyhood of having healthier teeth, living longer and more healthily, and making more babies.

Its just a guess...

FML

Last edited by Full Metal Lotus; 08-09-2008 at 07:52 AM..
Old 08-09-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow
If I don't floss for several days then my gums feels exquisite near the incisors and canines when I finally do, especially if a little blood comes out from the plaque. It's a little perverted because sometimes a little shiver will run through my body. If only a gumgasm were possible.
Blood? Yikes. I seem to remember a dentist once telling me that gums would only bleed if they were infected somehow. I could, of course, have misremembered and/or hallucinated that, but I'm pretty sure that's what he said...

But that aside, I'm right there with the toothpick/gum crowd as well.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM

Omg i love you for this question

I like to tie elastics in my teeth to really cause pressure i like to take the ball off my tounge ring and force the metal pipe in between my teeth i just cant help it i am really addictied to it i must also agree i dont like cuts or bruses or getting hurt its stricktly my gums and teeth
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM

Please feel free to talk anytime i would love to know more... I never thought anyone felt as i do
Old 01-03-2011, 02:41 PM
SDSAB

My dentist told me a little bleeding after thorough flossing is perfectly normal. Key word is "little."

I know the kind of pleasure/pain the OP is talking about, although with me it's more about scratching an itch until it hurts, or rubbing my eyes just a little too hard during allergy season, or keeping a strong mint in the same place on my tongue just a little too long.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
A few years ago, I got into the habit of jamming things like straightened paper clips or whatever else was there under my fingernails. I barely realized I was doing it and it hurt but also triggered a small and distracting high. I started to damage the nail beds pretty far down and I made an effort to stop.
***Note to self: never get into a physical fight with Shagnasty.***
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
this is why I look forward to my 6 month dental checkups. When the hygeineist gets the pick way in the back and hits that sweet spot that hurts but feels good too. Weird.

And to press on a bruise too, that feels good in a hurty kind of way. In fact anny injury I get I always have to touch it, [ress it caress it until Im used to touching it and the pain is no longer a surprise but familiar and no longer scary.
Weird. I like the bruise feeling, but I HATE the feeling of stuff between my teeth or against my gums. I floss regularly but it skeeves me, as does my regular dental check up/cleaning. And any kind of pain in the mouth region just freaks me out.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMMAG394 View Post
Please feel free to talk anytime i would love to know more... I never thought anyone felt as i do
Do you like being physically hurt in other ways?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 AM

Chiming in on a me too. Nice to know that while it may not be normal - at least it's not just me.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMMAG394 View Post
I like to tie elastics in my teeth to really cause pressure i like to take the ball off my tounge ring and force the metal pipe in between my teeth i just cant help it i am really addictied to it i must also agree i dont like cuts or bruses or getting hurt its stricktly my gums and teeth
Are you a guy or a girl?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:04 AM

nipple thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Rugger View Post
Although your example is not sexual, it sounds exactly like the way a lot of women describe having their nipples pinched or being spanked; it hurts a little bit, but it feels even better.
The --nipple thing-- I'm sure has something to do with toughness for breastfeeding. I had sons that chewed. After that, sensation was difficult at best. Nips probably start out numb to begin with.....

....and don't forget breast implants!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 AM

The Sky Fell On My Head? But I Didn't Feel It!

People with excessive brain activity can have very different nerve conduction, therefore having very different pain sensory systems. They can become so engulfed in thought that they may not notice the world falling apart around them. At these times their brains may not register pain properly, even when purposely inflicted.

As a result, people can be either hypersensative(feels too much) and/or hyposensative(feels to little) pain. Catatonics are a good example of too little--they have the nerve conduction velocity of a bedpost, so therefore they are hyposensative to pain. Believe it or not, the same can be said of too much brain activity. Your brain can get shorted out as well due far too many signals targeting specific areas of the brain; the person can then become hyposensative to pain because there is not enough activity being channelled to the right areas of the brain to allow the person to actually feel pain. I would imagine this something akin to what monks have done for centuries. They, from the time they were young, were trained for generation after generation to meditate. Channel all thought at one thing, disregarding all else. Supposedly you could stab them with a steak knife and they wouldn't feel it. Supposedly.....or it could be myth.

In such cases where the person is a 'deep thinker'(what some may call obsessive)--causing pain can erupt your limbic system(the emotional 'center' of the brain) "snapping you out of it"-- causing a rush of pleasurable hormones. WooHoo! Cool sensation. Also, repetative pain-causing behaviors can also be an "exhaust system." It's the only way for all that pent-up brain activity to release itself, instead of activity funnelling through limbic system and you having a meltdown. Some people jog, others lift weights to "rip" muscles, some play guitar til their fingers bleed. Your picking your gums and getting a similar hormonal result.

Shrinks used to think self-inducing pain habits stemmed solely from emotional problems. With technology(and doctors opening their minds more) they are finding out that their are many reasons people do things and it's not simply due to emotional scarring or a traumatic upbringing. As long as you aren't hurting yourself or anyone else, pick away. Just remember....without a proper diagnosis from a COMPETANT physician you can't really know the real reasons behind pain-inflicting habits. These behaviors can become quite serious, and be life-threatening. Usually with physical ramifications...compulsive nail biting can cause scarring and the inability to grow nails, infection, neuropathy, gangrene....if it gets that bad.

There are lots of reasons....but the only one that can define "the why" is you.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
So I took a uhhhh.
A fork
Yeah a fork and I jammed it right in my uuhhh
Your nose
Yeah, I really shoved it up there, then I took a ahhh
A C-Clamp
Yeah and I just started cranking it down on my
On your ear lobe
Yeah, my ear lobe, I just cranked it down as hard as I could.

Anyone else reminded of this?
Man, I hate when that happens...
Old 01-04-2011, 10:48 PM

It sounds to me like your gums itch.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:06 PM

Self inflicted gum pain:

For those of you who think this is odd, let me clear a few things up: 1. It is hardwired into our brains at infancy to press on our gums to relieve pressure and make them "feel better". That is why babies chew on anything to relieve gum tenderness. 2. Its not the same pain feeling you would get if you slammed your hand in the car door. This pain is an intriguing pain that causes us to want more until a "release" as you would during an orgasm. So the person who used the term "gumgasm" was not far off the mark. As good as this may feel to you, however, you really should try to stop before you do irreparable damage. As a child, I would take my fingernail and jam it up in my gumline to feel this pleasurable pain. Today I have the worst receeding gumline. So please STOP NOW! Something to help you quit: rub some ambesol or oragel on your gums to numb them (keeping you from getting the usual enjoyment out of your gum pain) until you have broken yourself from your habit. Hope this helps.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 PM

Not even remotely close...