SDMB Baseball Hall of Fame Vote #3: Second Basemen

Well, we’ve elected ten catchers and ten first basemen to the SDMB Baseball Hall of Fame. Now this is your chance to vote on second basemen. The rules are simple:

1. Please vote for TEN second baseman who have played major league baseball in North America, not including Negro League play, for which we will have other rounds of voting. You may vote for fewer than ten if you like, but I do ask you name ten if you possibly can. If you vote for more than ten all names past #10 are discounted. The order you place the players in makes no difference.

2. Your votes are not restricted by any restriction Cooperstown uses. You may vote for currently active players, players who have just recently retired, or players who eligibility to Cooperstown has passed.

3. The ten players who receive the most votes are immediately inducted into the Hall of Fame.

4. Although I will provide, in this post, a full list of all second basemen who are in the Hall of Fame, likely candidates, or had careers of significant length and accomplishment, it is an open ballot and you may vote for absolutely anyone you wish. If I miss a really significant name, please make it known.

5. Discussion is encouraged but please let some votes gather up first, and please don’t crowd out the voting. Thanks!

The voting closes midnight Monday. Here is a list - again, you can vote beyond this list and it is provided solely for your convenience and reference:

Second Basemen
BOLD Indicates Statistical Leader For HOF Second Basemen

Name [Link To Full Stats] HITS AVG OBP SLG HR RBI RUNS SB

Eddie Collins
Bobby Doerr
Max Bishop
Johnny Evers
Eddie Stanky
Nellie Fox
Frankie Frisch
Charlie Gehringer
Billy Herman
Bill Doran
Rogers Hornsby
Nap Lajoie
Bobby Avila
Claude Ritchey
Tony Lazzeri
Dick McAuliffe
Bobby Lowe
Bill Mazeroski
Bid McPhee
Joe Morgan
Jackie Robinson
Ryne Sandberg
Red Schoendienst
Rod Carew (recieved 10 votes in 1st basemen ballot; not elected there)
Kid Gleason
Ray Durham
Lon Frey
Roberto Alomar
Craig Biggio
Jeff Kent
Buddy Myer
Joe Gordon
Lou Whitaker
Bobby Grich
Bret Boone
Willie Randolph
Cupid Childs
Ross Barnes
Frank White
Davey Lopes
Marty McManus
Chuck Knoblauch
Tony Cuniccelo
Larry Doyle
Jim Gilliam
Del Pratt
Bobby Richardson
Tommy Herr
Manny Trillo
Miller Huggins
Luis Castillo

Rogers Hornsby
Joe Morgan
Rod Carew
Craig Biggio
Eddie Collins
Charlie Gehringer
Nap Lajoie
Jackie Robinson
Ryne Sandburg
Nellie Fox

Jackie Robinson
Ryne Sandberg
Joe Morgan
Rogers Hornsby
Roberto Alomar
Rod Carew
Craig Biggio
Eddie Collins
Nap Lajoie
Frankie Frisch

I am going to guess that Jackie Robinson and Eddie Collins will be the Lou Gerhrigs of this list.

pat

Hornsby
Carew
Morgan
Collins
Biggio
Robinson
Alomar
Grich
Gordon
Frisch

Some very tough choices at the bottom of this list!

Rogers Hornsby
Nap Lajoie
Eddie Collins
Joe Morgan
Jackie Robinson
Charlie Gehringer
Bobby Grich
Jeff Kent
Frankie Frisch
Ryne Sandberg

It pains me to omit Roberto Alomar, Lou Whitaker, Bobby Doerr and Craig Biggio, all of whom would be perfectly sensible choices for the top ten.

In no particular order, my choices:

Eddie Collins
Rogers Hornsby
Nap Lajoie
Nellie Fox
Joe Morgan
Jackie Robinson
Ryne Sandberg
Charlie Gehringer
Bill Mazeroski
Roberto Alomar

Gehringer
Hornsby
Morgan
Collins
Lajoie
Carew
Biggio
Sandberg
Doerr
Grich

Roberto Alomar
Craig Bigggio
Rod Carew
Eddie Collins
Charlie Gehringer
Rogers Hornsby
Nap Lajoie
Joe Morgan
Jackie Robinson
Eddie Stanky

I think it may have been interesting to allow people to vote X instead of a full ten players, allowing them in effect to cast a ballot for a Small Hall (if X ranks in the top 10, then only the top 9 are entered; if there are enough X’s to rank in the top 10 twice, then only the top 8 are entered, etc.)

That said, here’s my vote:

Robert Alomar
Craig Biggio
Rod Carew
Eddie Collins
Charlie Gehringer
Roger Hornsby
Nap Lajoie
Joe Morgan
Jackie Robinson
Ryne Sandberg
I guess I’m an offense whore, since I don’t really know how to evaluate defense very well, especially of players I’ve never seen.

I expected Hornsby, Jackie R. and Morgan to be on every ballot, so I’m surprised that you left Jackie out, gonzomax. Was his career too short, or is he not 2B enough? Even without breaking the color barrier, a career .311/.409/.474 is awesome for the era he played in.

Eddie Collins
Johnny Evers
Frankie Frisch
Charlie Gehringer
Rogers Hornsby
Nap Lajoie
Tony Lazzeri
Joe Morgan
Jackie Robinson
Ryne Sandberg
In his revised Historical Abstract, James wrote that Morgan, Collins and Hornsby stand apart from every other second baseman. That was in 2000 or so, but I don’t think anything has changed.

Rogers Hornsby
Joe Morgan
Rod Carew
Ryne Sandberg
Eddie Collins
Charlie Gehringer
Nap Lajoie
Jackie Robinson
Tony Lazzeri
Frankie Frisch

Biggio and Sandberg have pretty close stats. That’s a tough call. I’m going with Sandberg because I think he was better defensively. JMO.

Hornsby
Morgan
Collins
Robinson
LaJoie
Carew
Gehringer
Frisch
Biggio
Sandberg

Rogers Hornsby He was the best ever
Tony Lazzeri Poosh 'Em Up Tony A Yankee great knocking in 100+ RBIs 7 times and has 5 World Series Rings My sentimental pick.
Joe Morgan (I hate him as an announcer, but he was a great player)
Jackie Robinson He has to make the list. He just has to make the list
Eddie Collins Damn good player, probably the second best
Nap Lajoie I always like to acknowledge the old timers, there is a reason he went into the hall in 1937
Charlie Gehringer He was a great fielder and hitter. Had 200+ hits 7 times. Fun note, played every inning of the first six all star games. *
Frankie Frisch
.316 .369 .432 419sb 105hr 1532r He was suppose to be a great defensive player and was a great base runner. *
Rod Carew .328 .393 .429 353sb 1424r
Roberto Alomar* .300 .371 .443 474sb 1508r 210hr He played great defense and was a great hitter.*

I overlooked Alomar somehow. Tough call between him, Ryno and Biggio for a modern player. It’s easy to forget how good Alomar was before he hung around too long. I just cheated a bit and looked at the HOF standards on baseball-reference.com:

Black Ink: AVG HOFer 27
Alomar 3
Biggio 17
Sandberg 14

Grey Ink: AVG HOFer 144
Alomar 95
Biggio 104
Sandberg 134

HOF Standards: AVG HOFer ~ 50
Alomar 55.9
Biggio 55.9
Sandberg 41.9

HOF Monitor: Likely HOFer >100
Alomar 193.5
Biggio 169
Sandberg 157.5

This makes it very close, but I think Biggio gets the lean.

Roberto Alomar
Rogers Hornsby
Jackie Robinson
Ryne Sandberg
Craig Biggio
Nap Lajoie
Eddie Collins
Charlie Gehringer
Joe Morgan
Frankie Frisch

Eddie Collins
Frankie Frisch
Charlie Gehringer
Rogers Hornsby
Nap Lajoie
Bill Mazeroski
Joe Morgan
Ryne Sandberg
Rod Carew
Roberto Alomar

I used different numbers and gave Alomar a bonus for his glove. Glove should be especially important up the middle at least. Not that Biggio and Sandberg were bad, they were in fact good. I think Alomar was great (at least until he got to the Mets) Sandberg is almost surely going to make the cut here, but I don’t think he should be top 10. I am glad to see Nap Lajoie is going to make the cut, at so far.

Frank, how do you leave **Jackie Robinson ** off? Are you going purely by the numbers? When a player is bigger than the game and changes the game and the country I think he deserves some huge bonus points.

That was when I saw him, and that eliminated him from my list, forever.

Not just because he totally sucked, which he did, but because everyone raved about his sucky defense at first. It’s hard to quantify defense, at least superficially, but everyone I knew kept going on and on about how Alomar steadied the infield, what fabulous range he had, etc. and I kept going “Really? I’m not seeing it,” and they kept telling me to shut up, what am I, blind? Don’t you know how many Gold Gloves he has? and so on, until even they gave up–he went straight from “Our HoFer” to “He can’t catch nothing” with no change other than time.

His reputation carried him for a year or two on offense too. Same thing. People raved about how smart he was, but I kept thinking that diving headfirst into first base didn’t seem too smart, and bunting with ducks on the pond isn’t smart, especially for a #2 or #3 hitter with one out, and eventually every Mets fan in the universe despised him for a clueless loser, which is how I will evaluate him.

Joe Morgan (.272 batting average…414 secondary average. Put tons of runs on the scoreboard during a kickass prime)
Eddie Collins (dead ball guy underrated (or unknown) by many casual fans, other than power terrific all around)
Rogers Hornsby (a total ass off the field, an indifferent fielder on it, but great with the timber in his hands)
Jackie Robinson (Underrated as a defender even as he switched around between 4 positions-almost as impactful a player as Morgan)
Craig Biggio (probably the most competitive player of this era, even if it wasn’t always obvious)
Nap LaJoie (defense is overrated, best season in a weak league, but wonderful hitter)
Ryne Sandberg (Idol of mine, so I’m biased. Yes Wrigley helped him some, but few were as good going to their right)
Rod Carew (bread and butter hit was a bat-flicked looper into LF-and you also have all those steals of home)
Robbie Alomar (I think his D has been underrated a bit, and he aged horribly, but an excellent player during his heyday)
Bobby Grich (incredibly underrated, great defender who played in pitcher’s parks and whose offensive strengths didn’t include batting average)

I wanted to get Lou Whitaker on there but he didn’t quite make the cut.

Well that is fair, I remember Alomar from his Toronto, Baltimore and Cleveland days and then his Met misery. I saw him a lot and I thought he was truly great. I have rarely seen a player decline as quick as he did. It was shocking. I think Shea has had that affect on other players too. It ended Murcer’s Yankee career at least until he returned as a backup outfielder.
**John DiFool **, thanks for the blurbs, I love seeing a little of what went into a vote.