SDMB Baseball Hall of Fame, Round 8: Left Fielders

This is the eighth round of voting on the SDMB Baseball Hall of Fame. In this round we will be voting on left fielders.

The rules remain the same as before:

1. Please vote for TEN left fielders who have played major league baseball in North America, not including Negro League play, for which we will have other rounds of voting. You may vote for fewer than ten if you like, but I do ask you name ten if you possibly can. If you vote for more than ten, all names past #10 are discounted. The order you place the players in makes no difference.

2. Your votes are not restricted by any restriction Cooperstown uses. You may vote for currently active players, players who have just recently retired, or players who eligibility to Cooperstown has passed. In effect you may vote for anyone who has ever played a single game of center field in what we would term “the major leagues” as commencing with the foundation of the National League in 1876. Only players who have already been inducted are ineligible.

3. The ten players who receive the most votes are immediately inducted into the Hall of Fame. Voting closes Tuesday midnight EDT.

4. Although I will provide, in this post, a full list of all left fielders who are in the Hall of Fame, likely candidates, or had careers of significant length and accomplishment, it is an open ballot and you may vote for absolutely anyone you wish. If I miss a really significant name, please make it known.

As per the other outfielding ballots I have had to use my judgment in ascertaining who is a left fielder, as opposed to right or center. If a big name is missing, please consult the other ballots. However, THIS IS AN OPEN BALLOT; THE LIST OF NAMES IS JUST TO HELP YOU. YOU CAN VOTE FOR ANYONE.

Players who miss out will get a chance in the wild card voting.

1. Discussion is encouraged but please let some votes gather up first, and be nice. Detailed discussion of this series of threads may be found here:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=477967&page=1

Past votes and results can be found here:

Catchers
First Basemen
Second Basemen
Shortstops
Third Basemen
Right Fielders
Center Fielders

Thanks, and happy voting!
Moises Alou
Dusty Baker
George Bell
Albert Belle
Barry Bonds
Lou Brock
Jesse Burkett
George Burns
Joe Carter
Fred Clarke
Jose Cruz Sr.
Ed Delahanty
Del Ennis
George Foster
Augie Galan
Ron Gant
Kirk Gibson
Luis Gonzalez
Goose Goslin
Chick Hafey
Tom Harper
Rickey Henderson
Willie Horton
Frank Howard
Monte Irvin
Joe Jackson
Charlie Jamieson
Bob Johnson
Duffy Lewis
Greg Luzinski
Charlie Keller
Joe Kelley
Ralph Kiner
Dave Kingman
Sherry Magee
Heinie Manush
Joe Medwick
Bob Meusel
Minnie Minoso
Stan Musial
Lefty O’Doul
Jim O’Rourke
Tim Raines
Manny Ramirez
Jim Rice
Joe Rudi
Jimmy Sheckard
Al Simmons
Willie Stargell
B.J. Surhoff
Bobby Veach
Zack Wheat
Roy White
Billy Williams
Ken Williams (the one from the 1920s, not the current GM of the White Sox)
Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski

Barry Bonds

Barry Bonds
Lou Brock
Rickey Henderson
Joe Jackson
Stan Musial
Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski
Al Simmons
Manny Ramirez
Joe Medwick

No character clause, right?

Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski
Barry Bonds
Stan Musial
Rickey Henderson
Ed Delahanty
Joe Jackson
Tim Raines
Manny Ramirez
Willie Stargell
Lots of good candidates, but those ten are pretty clear choices, in my opinion. Manny’s probably the most borderline, given his laissez-faire defense.

Edit: Southern Yankee, defend Brock over Raines, if you want. :slight_smile:

Stan Musial
Ted Williams
Barry Bonds
Ricky Henderson
Minnie Minoso
Tim Raines
Manny Ramirez
Carl Yastrzemski
Ralph Kiner
Al Simmons
Just missed: John Lowenstein & Charlie Spikes :smiley:

I wanted to include Raines, but I think he’s just outside the top 10. Brock had 3000 hits, more stolen bases (which is what they’re both best known for,) and scored more runs. Raines has a slight lead in OPS and Slugging, but Brock did his best work in a pitchers’ era.

I’m somewhat surprised to find this group the strongest of all the positions.

Ted Williams
Stan Musial
Bonds
Ricky Henderson

Right there you have arguably 4 of the top 20 of all time.

Barry Bonds
Ted Williams
Stan Musial
Rickey Henderson
Manny Ramirez
Carl Yastrzemski
Ed Delahanty
Al Simmons
Jesse Burkett
Billy Hamilton

I’m surprised I couldn’t find a place for Tim Raines, since I was rooting for him in the vote last year, but the numbers just didn’t add up.

Ted Williams
Stan Musial
Carl Yastrzemski
Barry Bonds
Rickey Henderson
Ed Delahanty
Manny Ramirez
Goose Goslin
Charlie Keller (My sentimental pick)
Willie Stargell

Jello: Billy Hamilton was elected as a center fielder, so maybe there’s room after all for Raines. :slight_smile:

Aha - so he was. I was using Baseball-Reference to look up statistics, and for pre-1957 players they don’t mention which outfield position anyone played, so I went by a faulty memory. (Though I wasn’t born until several decades after Billy Hamilton’s death, so I can forgive myself this time.)

RickJay, if you could change my vote to include Raines, then. Thanks (you too, Gadarene).

Done. I’d have PM’d you if it had not already been caught.

My list:

Stan Musial
Ted Williams
Rickey Henderson
Barry Bonds
Carl Yastrzemski
Ed Delahanty
Al Simmons
Tim Raines
Manny Ramirez
Goose Goslin

I found this a very difficult ballot to fill out.

Barry Bonds
Lou Brock
Rickey Henderson
Stan Musial
Tim Raines
Jim Rice
Willie Stargell
Billy Williams
Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski

1. Ted Williams
  2. Stan Musial
  3. bonds
  4. Yaz
  5. Stargell
  6. Manny Ramirez
  7. Monte Irvin
    8,Shoeless Joe
  8. Al Simmons
  9. Ricky Henderson
    This position gets the nutcases and miscreants. I am still looking at Stargell. May change later.
    Williams was the splendid spitter and feuded with the Sox fans.
    Henderson was a pain. Bonds is a doper and Manny is crazy.

This was hard, and on another day I might have voted differently. In are:
Barry Bonds
Lou Brock
Ricky Henderson
Ralph Kiner
Stan Musial
Manny Ramirez
Al Simmons
Willie Stargell
Billy Williams
Ted Williams

Near miss:
Albert Belle
Joe Jackson
Jim Rice
Carl Yastrzemski

Barry Bonds
Ed Delahanty
Rickey Henderson
Frank Howard
Ralph Kiner
Ducky Medwick
Stan Musial
Manny Ramirez
Pops Stargell
Ted Williams

This was by far the hardest group I’ve had to choose from. A week ago, I’d have been SURE Carl Yastrzemski was going to be in my top ten. He’ll still make it for sure, eventually, but I had to leave off several very deserving players.

Frank Howard is a guy I had to include, because (like my hero, Harmon Killebrew) he was belting long home runs in bunches at a time when pitchers had all the advantages.

Barry Bonds
Ed Delahanty
Rickey Henderson
Joe Jackson
Stan Musial
Tim Raines
Willie Stargell
Billy Williams
Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski

Including Jackson cost Frank Howard my sentimental vote, if anyone cares.

Barry Bonds
Stan Musial
Ted Williams
Carl Yastrezemski
Willie Stargell
Rickey Henderson
Al Simmons
Lou Brock
Joe Jackson
Manny Ramirez

Raines has a huge 42 point lead in OBP, which pretty much renders all other statistical comparisons as unimportant. The era difference isn’t all that significant; while Brock did play a goodly chunk of his career in the 60’s, it was in good hitting parks, while Raines’ peak years were in Montreal’s Mausoleum. BBRef’s “Air” rating attempts to peg the overall run context of a player’s career, and there Brock only has a minor advantage (2 points). Yes he has the 3,000 hits and more SBs, but Raines has a much better SB% and was on base more overall. Now there’s an interesting research project for someone willing to find out why Brock scored more runs while being on base ~400 fewer times, but Raines doesn’t need to equalize that to be more valuable.

Oh and my ballot:

Ted Williams
Stan the Man
Barry Bonds
Rickey Henderson
Carl Yastrzemski
Tim Raines
Manny Ramirez
Willie Stargell
Al Simmons
Billy Williams

Ok. I was on the fence with this pick, but this analysis totally changed my mind.

I would like to change my vote for Lou Brock to a vote for Tim “Rock” Raines