Pee bubbles

Ok. I tried searching this in the archives w/out any luck. When a guy pees, what the heck determines the number of bubbles produced and the duration of the bubbles? Why the lasting bubbles in the first place? If you dip a bubble wand in pee, it won’t make bubbles (will it?), and if you dip in water it won’t either. What is with the magic combo of streaming pee, air, and water?

I can’t believe I even thought of this,

Mike

I have thought about this in the past (I really hate to admit it :smiley: ) and the only thing I could come up with is the force of the stream into the water. When the stream goes into the water, it takes air with it and the more forceful the stream, the more air, and the more bubbles.

I have absolutely NO clue as to what makes them last. Who knows, maybe its carbonation. :smiley:

I can’t believe I posted this. :D:D:D

The most important factor is whether you pee right into the water (noisily) or on the inside of the bowl (discreetly). The former will usually result in bubbles and has no bad implications for your health.

Another factor is protein in the urine. If there is lots of protein in the pee, bubbles (frothiness) will result.

Protein in the urine is abnormal and merits investigation. If you have lots of bubbles, you should at least get your urine checked for protein. This should cost but a few cents for the test. (The MD visit is another matter).

All right, so who’s volunteering to get to the bottom of this one?

I’m guessing it has something to do with the proteins in the urine.

Co-incidentally, have you noticed that it is almost impossible to completely cover the surface of the water with bubbles? I did it one time, after years of effort (I need some new hobbies!)… it was the proudest day of my life!

I worked with a PhD who could give a reasonably accurate estimate of the amount of protein in a solution of water by shaking the tube a bit and looking at how many bubbles formed.

As others have said it’s the protein in solution that makes pee bubbles. It’s also what makes the head on beer, IIRC.

A few years ago, a female co-worker of my wife’s had some kind of female problem which was brought to her attention when her urine produced bubbles in the toilet, like a man’s. Until that time, I had never known that women didn’t make bubbles, and if you had told me, I would have assumed it was due to the greater freefall of the urine stream.

I seem to recall posting this question on alt.fan.cecil-adams a few years ago, and the answers I got suggested that maybe a man’s prostate has something to do with it. Anyone here care to explain further?