Broken Leatherman knife blade.

Yep, nearly snapped the whole blade clean off. I know, I clearly did a stupid thing, but then I’ve heard good things about their support.
I’d like to pack it up and send it to 'em, pay for the new blade and labor, and have my really sexy still newish Skeletool CX intact again.
Has anyone here worked with the Leatherman folks on a repair like this?

Their service is very good. Send it off.

Yep - send it off…however, I doubt you will get your skeletool back…you will most likely get a brand new one. Does that matter to you? I love Kershaw knives. I had a pocket knife from them for 6 years…it came everywhere with me. the blade broke on day trying to get myself back into the house I just locked myself out of, and I sent it on to Kershaw. They sent me a brand new one back. I was a little dissappointed because the other one had a little sentimental value. But [reaches into pocket] I still have it… :slight_smile:

They are based in Oregon and there was just an article about them in the paper. They have a “25 year” guarantee because it sounded better than “Lifetime”. They are now older than 25 years, but still honor the guarantee. I’d send it back along with a nice letter about how much you like it, any interesting times you used it, etc. I’d be surprised if they did not fix it for free.

A while back, they’d repair your tool. Sounds like they’re just doing the more time-efficient outright replacement now.

Last time I sent one in, I’d snapped one of the plier jaws off and sent it in. They replaced the pliers, the phillips screwdriver tip (some sort of updated design) and the main knife blade (eliminating the unholy mess a friend caused when they thought they knew how to sharpen knives). Or, they did a very good job of duplicating how my name was engraved on it. :smiley: I think all that was left of my original tool was the file and the outer shell.

From the linked article.

Cool. I still have the box it came in, so I guess I’m off the the post office to wrap it all up.

I really do love the thing. It’s light, not like other multitools at all.

By the way, they are in an industrial park near the Portland airport. You can reserve a free tour of their factory. We did it in May. Very cool, but don’t wear sandals - it is a real factory. They have a company store where you can get some of the tools cheap. I got one as a conference gift 11 years ago, and have been carrying it ever since. Still in perfect condition.

You must not use it much. :wink:

I love the multi tool’s, Have had several.
What gets me is the sheath. They used to be leather, and now the flimsy nylon fabric with the velcro that doesn’t last a year.
Sure wish Tim didn’t change his name to Nylonman :stuck_out_tongue: