The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-20-2008, 06:15 PM

Science fiction fans: how "alien" is too alien to sleep with?

Filmed science fiction and fantasy is, for obvious reasons, replete with non-human characters played by human actors. Sometimes only a nominal effort is made to make the actor look other than human; otherwise quite a bit of work goes into it.

Which brings me to the thread question. In terms of sexual attractiveness, what sf aliens are too alien for you? Contrariwse, who is made positively yummy by their minor differences?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 PM

Too alien? Do I have to strap on an adapter and can I feel my hands afterwards? No? Then I'd Kirk 'em.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:19 PM

It all depends on how big her boobs are (well, okay, not really. But it'd be nice if she had 'em) and if, in fact, she qualifies as a her. Beyond that, fur wouldn't be out of the question, provided she had good grooming skills. I draw the line at tentacles and stingers.

Last edited by photopat; 08-20-2008 at 06:20 PM..
Old 08-20-2008, 06:27 PM

Hey, G'kar was hot for a reptile dude.

I'd have to stick with mostly humanoid. The details don't matter, as long as they're reasonably similar to humans in the important waysT&A. Tentacles are out.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:31 PM

No slime, melting, or puddling. Nothing "chitinous" either -- grasshoppers freak me out.

Scales would be fine. I've petted snakes and like the way they feel.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Considering that I've slept with humans I find rather unattractive, and fallen in love with them to boot, I'm not sure I could rule anything out. Short of personal damage, I suppose.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:34 PM

I'm rather surprised that no one's rejected Klingons out of hand. That's some trans-species lovemaking that could be a might dangerous .
Old 08-20-2008, 06:38 PM

I'm not adverse to shape shifters (say he might sometimes appear as a black dog*, or really be a crow) that have human forms too but that's about as exotic as I'm willing to go.

*not a ref. to Harry Potter. Sirius Black was human.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Sith Mod

Generally mammaliam, preferably humanoid, but a lot would depend on the individual alien.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone
Tentacles are out.
Oh, that's not RIGHT!

A generally humanoid form, including compatible sexual organs is a must, beyond that...

Odd coloured skin, fine.
Animalistic traits - fur, scales, claws, tails, muzzles, fangs, wings, pointed ears - all good. Bonuses, even. A beak might throw me, though.
Extra limbs - fine (see above). Even tentacles. >_>
Old 08-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

D'lenn - do-able

M'ress - do-able

Horta - not do-able
Old 08-20-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam
Nothing "chitinous" either -- grasshoppers freak me out.
kell. I'm not entirely sure that I agree. ner.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:50 PM

Centauri are out (they fall under the tentacle rule). Which is a shame because Vir was kind of cute.

Pak'ma'ra are out because...well, they smell like their food. Which is usually long dead before they get to it. Ew. And they fall under the tentacle rule, also.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:53 PM

The khepri race in Perdido Street Station was a bit too alien for me. I can understand how Issac loved Lin, but his descriptions of her bug face and stuff was a bit creepy during the love-making scenes.

I guess bug-heads are too alien for me.

Also anything too... furry-ish would creep me out. I guess I'm a bit xenophobic.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium
The khepri race in Perdido Street Station was a bit too alien for me. I can understand how Issac loved Lin, but his descriptions of her bug face and stuff was a bit creepy during the love-making scenes.

I guess bug-heads are too alien for me.

Also anything too... furry-ish would creep me out. I guess I'm a bit xenophobic.

So no Cheetara?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:02 PM

I likes me some aliens that are based on more-or-less ideal human female forms with one or two exotic accessories. (No prob with a Twi'lek dancer. No sir.)

Moties don't hold a lot of appeal. Asymmetric or covered in dense fur? No thanks.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 PM
BANNED

While I'm thinking about the OP, let me be pedantic in the service of fighting ignorance (returning the favor that many on this board have done for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer
I'm rather surprised that no one's rejected Klingons out of hand. That's some trans-species lovemaking that could be a might dangerous .
A mite dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477
I'm not adverse to shape shifters . . . .
You're not averse.

Okay; short of anything that will cause me permanent physical or psychological damage, the opportunity to nail an alien would be too important to pass up. Game on. (Unless I'm just not into her/it.)
Old 08-20-2008, 07:05 PM

Hate to say it, but it would have to look basically human male. I can handle skin colors, scales, lumps & bumps here and there, maybe the odd tail, or tentacle, or horns, but it's got to look human male-ish.

Unless we're doing one of those mind-meld sex things. I hear they're pretty hot.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:06 PM

1) Is there a comfortable Slot B for my Tab A to insert into? That is the first question I would have.
2) After that, it depends on the cuddle factor - can I wrap my arms around them and hold them without hurting myself?

Give me those two, and I am well on the way to Kirking them (I LOVE that term Love Rhombus!)
Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin
While I'm thinking about the OP, let me be pedantic in the service of fighting ignorance (returning the favor that many on this board have done for me).

A mite dangerous.
Thank you for the correction; I quite appreciate it. Unfortunately my vengeance engine was on "automatic" when you made it, so several dozen genetically engineered, winged, flame-breathing, et cetera howler monkeys have been dispatched to your location. You might want to head to the basement.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer
So no Cheetara?
Well...she's not THAT alien!

Haha. I guess too many alien traits all together might push it over the top. Wings would be okay, and maybe tail or scales or something. But a non-human face just pushes it into weird territory.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Door-2-Door Wikipedia Salesman
Charter Member

Mmm, I totally bang this bitch.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:38 PM

Before reading this thread I probably would have called myself a science fiction fan, but I am not sure that I am allowed anymore as I honestly never considered this question. The only thing that I really have to contribute (besides the shame of my lack of devotion to the genre) is that it the first thing I though of when seeing the thread title was this comic.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477
I'm not adverse to shape shifters (say he might sometimes appear as a black dog*, or really be a crow) that have human forms too but that's about as exotic as I'm willing to go.
Fool! Don't you know after (sometimes even during) sex a shapeshifter will inevitably change back to alien form and kill you!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldwin

A mite dangerous.

You're not averse.
Funny, I don't think pedantic is the word you should have picked, either
Old 08-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quite a bit of furry art is devoted to variations on the centauroid body plan: four legs supporting a primary torso, then a secondary torso with arms and head. The name of one such fictional species, the Chakat, has become so widely adopted as to now be nearly synonymous with the felinoid versions. Would anyone consider going that far?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
No slime, melting, or puddling.
I could go with a little slime... it'd depend what it tasted like. Lime jello would be nice. Tentacles are a maybe... the Thermians were just such nice "people".

I agree with Miller that it would largely depend on the individual alien.. but that said... scarab beetle heads would be just too damn freaky no matter how good her personality was. *shudder*
Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
No slime, melting, or puddling. Nothing "chitinous" either
Yep, although I'd make an exception for the Malmooth.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 PM

I'd be less concerned about form than I would want to know about mating habits/rituals. I do not want to be stuck in the position of playing the male for a preying mantis courtship.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:49 PM

Them green Orion slave woman were among the first adolecent boyhood phantasies.

But I read some sci-fi book were the human male gets on an alien built eco-system ship, and falls for a centaur type female, and ends up banging her. Umm... no thanks. I have no bestiality hunger within me.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk
Mmm, I totally bang this bitch.

She gives good head.

Marc
Old 08-20-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus
Horta - not do-able
Umm...Horta. Doesn't talk, right? Stone cold, yes? And made out of rock?

I think I dated one or two of these...
Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlees
...sci-fi book were the human male...falls for a centaur type female, and ends up banging her. Umm... no thanks. I have no bestiality hunger within me.
Assuming the "centaur type female" is sentient I'm pretty sure that "bestiality" isn't the appropriate description.... "miscegenation" I might buy, but bestiality suggests one partner is a lower order animal.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
But I read some sci-fi book were the human male gets on an alien built eco-system ship, and falls for a centaur type female, and ends up banging her. Umm... no thanks. I have no bestiality hunger within me.
That sounds like John Varley's Titan. The centaur types were called Titanides, their clans were set up on the order of the Modes of medieval music, and they didn't even come CLOSE to male/female...there was some kind of complex interplay between something like three or four different genders, involving egg swapping or something like that.

Or possibly Jack L. Chalker's Well of Souls series.

Last edited by jayjay; 08-20-2008 at 10:21 PM..
Old 08-20-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd
Asymmetric or covered in dense fur? No thanks.
So radial symmetry is OK then?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga
So radial symmetry is OK then?
So long as she's a cute xeno-echinoderm.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:51 AM
BANNED

I always wanted to rock Cassandra 's world (Leslie Bevis).. ever lovin' Newcummer Alien Sex.

Alen Nation had some hot Slags.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellner
kell. I'm not entirely sure that I agree. ner.
Wot. She was cute. Not.

[At which point I read what I have written and realise that my screen name is working against me here.]

On that topic, though: despite the mild controversy when Captain Jack was introduced, it always seemed to me that he was nothing more than an obvious extrapolation from Captain Kirk. After all, anyone who is willing and able to shag an alien is hardly likely to turn his nose up at half the members of his own species, is he?

So all that slash fiction is probably right on the money.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:21 AM

It depends on the alien. (I've mentioned before that I have a love for tentacles.)

If we're talking the Doctor...he could regenerate into a GIANT FREAKING SIVLERFISH and I'd still do him. His current dreamy looks are just an added bonus on top of - heh, no pun intended there - a wonderful personality and intellect.

As for the aforementioned Captain Jack, he does nothing for me. Cute, check. Open minded, check. Personality, check. Intellect........ Nope; he acts like a teenager. Feels like jailbait. Can't do it. He can hold the camera for the Doctor and me though!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:23 PM

No bugs or squid-faced people. Otherwise, I'm pretty open.

Wings? Sure. Fur? Hell yeah. Tentacles? You betcha! Extra limbs? Why not? But there needs to be a face I can relate to.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
That sounds like John Varley's Titan. The centaur types were called Titanides, their clans were set up on the order of the Modes of medieval music, and they didn't even come CLOSE to male/female...there was some kind of complex interplay between something like three or four different genders, involving egg swapping or something like that.

Or possibly Jack L. Chalker's Well of Souls series.
Thanks. I read both of those books back in the 70's, so my memory is a bit hazy, and I think it might be Titan, though I'm not positive.

The human male hero fell in love with his centaur traveling companion. He engaged in sex with her-it, mainly with the centaur's upright front torso section. that didn't freak me out too much. Eventually, though, she-it talked him into doing it with her hind quarters, as she-it drew pleasure from that area, as well, which is were I went "EEeeew!".
Old 08-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Think I'd need a bit of alien booze first.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I read both of those books back in the 70's, so my memory is a bit hazy, and I think it might be Titan, though I'm not positive.

The human male hero fell in love with his centaur traveling companion. He engaged in sex with her-it, mainly with the centaur's upright front torso section. that didn't freak me out too much. Eventually, though, she-it talked him into doing it with her hind quarters, as she-it drew pleasure from that area, as well, which is were I went "EEeeew!".
Yeah, I think that was Titan. The Titanides have two sets of genitals, front and back, IIRC. Which is why their reproduction's so darned complicated...I think it's mix & match, at that...a single Titanide can be male in front and female in back or vice versa, as well as having self-matching genitalia.

Last edited by jayjay; 08-21-2008 at 12:38 PM..
Old 08-21-2008, 01:27 PM

SciFi books never mention smell. Smell is probably the hugest sensory turn on/off for me.

Any alien that smells like cinnamon would get a come hither wink.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB
Any alien that smells like cinnamon would get a come hither wink.
I'm imagining Jabba the Hutt spritzing with Eau de Sticky-bun and going looking for you...
Old 08-21-2008, 01:37 PM

Is that a Cinnabon clutched in your chitonous tentacle, or are you just happy to see me?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 PM

Most Star Wars aliens are out.

Most Star Trek aliens are in.

The alien from Alien is right out.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:52 PM

Rishathra?

Sure, why not?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:16 PM

Despite what goes on in Star Trek, most alien sex probably wouldn't even be recognizable as such, or would be as different from ours as Plant sex, or jellyfish sex. As Larry Niven wrote in "Man of Steel; Woman of Kleenex" regarding Superman getting it on with LL, "He could as easily mate with an ear of corn."

Larry Niven's rishathra is understandable, since the aliens really are humanoid, and of the same basic stock. For others, though, it doesn't seem likely. Although there have been attempts:

1.) Norman Spinrad wrote a short story (don't recall the title -- it's in the collection The Last Hurrah of the Golden Horde) in which there's a planet with a species that uses some sort of telepathy to find out what sort of mate a creature is looking for, and forms itself into that ideal. It's sort of cuckoo-like survival strategy, where you displace the natural females. The same idea (sorta) was used in the movie Species and its sequels.

2.) Philip Jose Farmer came up with an interesting dodge in The Lovers. The alien female creature looks like a human female and can go through the actions of sex, but of course we're not interfertile with them. Nevertheless, the sex act stimulates their reproduction mechanisms. It's high;y unbelievable, but a good read. I don't recall how these were supposed to habve developed.

3.) another Farmer story, "Mother", features a huge immobile creature that has a large internal cavity where it can trap things. It traps a human. There's a "reproduction spot" which, when attacked, is stimulated to begin reproduction. This has to be the most complete "return-to-the-womb" story ever written.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Anything stranger than M'Ress is...mostly...out.