The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 08-21-2008, 12:43 AM

Do They Sell Day Old Bread and Cakes In Your Area

Curiously enough I was in the park today and struck up a conversation with some older fok and they were telling me about the days before WWII and how they would go to the bakeries and stock up on day old loaves of bread and broken pies and eat them.

I was in the grocer so I just asked one of the managers what they do with their day old stuff, he told me they won't sell it as they can use the old bread in their deli section to make bread puddings and stuffings and they just donate the rest to homeless shelters cause they get a full price tax donation as opposed for selling it on the cheap for half or less.

I looked online and Hostess does have an outlet store but it's way in the suburbs so I won't be getting any old Twinkies as it'd cost more in gas than to buy fresh.

I even stopped by a bakery on my way home and asked, (bad move I bought a pie -LOL) and they too don't sell anything but they just give all their old bread to homeless shelters.

I'm sure some areas must still have the "day old bread / mushed pies" for sale or is there a legal reason why they stopped? Or is it just more profitable to donate and take the tax write off
Advertisements  
Old 08-21-2008, 01:23 AM

There is a day old Hostess/Wonder something like that near my house. They sell for about 1/2 of retail, and make a LOT of sales, so my guess is that they have enough profit to disregard the charity aspect.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:30 AM

Yes, I have seen it. I don't look real closely for such things, but I have seen it recently.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:55 AM

I used to work in a supermarket here (in Ireland) and any bread left over from yesterday was put in the ovens, re-heated and sold as fresh ...

<aside> they bread and cakes weren't bake on the premises, they came pre-baked and frozen and were put in ovens to be heated up</aside>

I don't shop in that supermarket.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:11 AM

Funny you should mention it, I stopped by the Wonder Bread outlet in Greenwood Indiana on the way home yesterday. Bought two loaves of Pullmann bread (the big 2lb loaves) for $1.10 each and two packages of fruit bars (Newtons - one blueberry and one strawberry) for $2.00 each.

There are a couple of other Wonder Bread outlets around central Indiana, the prices are better than at the stores but definately not low enough to go out of my way for.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:00 AM

Besides the aforementioned Hostess/Wonder Outlets around Indiana (which can have excellent deals on snack cakes if those are your thing-- they mark the packaging in a way that indicates how old it is, older packages are discounted more heavily), the Long's Bakery locations here in Indianapolis sell day-old doughnuts, cakes, fritters, etc., at a pretty steep discount. My local Wal-Mart and Kroger both have what I call "dead bread" racks, rolling racks filled with specialty bakery goods (cakes, artisan breads, pies) discounted by 50+% that only have a few days left on their expiration dates. For some reason, they're always kept next to the dairy coolers. Kroger also will tag their older store-brand bagged/sliced sandwich bread and tortillas with "Manager's Special" labels, with UPCs that scan at half the price.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 AM

There is a Hostess Old Stuff store near me. I've never been in it, but I had an elderly client who would buy hohos/dingdongs etc by the carload to offer to black bears in her yard. On one trip to the store, she stopped at the veterinary practice where I worked and filled a vet tech's car full of twinkies and hohos.

The tech was very overweight and when she saw her car filled with the snacks, she broke down crying, assuming it to be a cruel prank. After everyone at the office admitted to not being behind the prank, somebody thought of the old lady who always bought the expired Hostess stuff (all the items have a slash through the UPC with a black sharpie). A phone call explained it. She thought that since the tech was "a big girl" she must like sweets.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:07 AM

Yes, we have a Freihofer's outlet.

That's where we got all our baked goods when I was young; we called it the used-bread store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobelia Overhill
I used to work in a supermarket here (in Ireland) and any bread left over from yesterday was put in the ovens, re-heated and sold as fresh ...

<aside> they bread and cakes weren't bake on the premises, they came pre-baked and frozen and were put in ovens to be heated up</aside>
Reminds me of the ads for the latest McDonald's country chicken sandwich, "on buttery homemade-tasting bun"
Old 08-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi
Reminds me of the ads for the latest McDonald's country chicken sandwich, "on buttery homemade-tasting bun"
"Jenkins! We're running low on buns. Run home and bake some more!"
Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 AM

We don't have a specific outlet store, but I frequently get marked-down bakery items from a rack by the door to the stockroom in my local grocery store. It's all stuff that is at it's sell-by date, and drastically marked down. I usually can get a loaf of bread for a buck or 3 donuts for 50 cents.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_n8
Funny you should mention it, I stopped by the Wonder Bread outlet in Greenwood Indiana on the way home yesterday..
[hijack]Do you live near Greenwood, or was that just a passing-through? I live like a bloc or three away from that store.[/hijack]
Old 08-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

At both the Kroger's I go to, there have a section with discounted bread that is marked down. I buy it frequently as I'll either eat it that day or freeze it. Some of their gourmet breads are $4.00 regular price and $1.00 discount price.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 PM

There is an Orowheat/Entemann's outlet store just a few blocks from where I work. Not only is the bread half the price of the grocery (with a better selection) but if you spend $7 you get something free from a double leftover rack, and you get a card that gives you two free things after you've spent $35. Never had a problem with spoilage. Some of the Entemann's cakes last forever.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 PM

I'm sorry I put this in the wrong forum, can a moderator move it

Thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Screwing the unscrutable.

<mod>

Off to IMHO.

GQ > IMHO

</mod>
Old 08-21-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatshakes
There is a day old Hostess/Wonder something like that near my house. They sell for about 1/2 of retail, and make a LOT of sales, so my guess is that they have enough profit to disregard the charity aspect.
Considering they make a LOT of sales, perhaps they donate up to the limit and then sell the rest?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetbridge
There is a Hostess Old Stuff store near me. I've never been in it, but I had an elderly client who would buy hohos/dingdongs etc by the carload to offer to black bears in her yard. On one trip to the store, she stopped at the veterinary practice where I worked and filled a vet tech's car full of twinkies and hohos.

The tech was very overweight and when she saw her car filled with the snacks, she broke down crying, assuming it to be a cruel prank. After everyone at the office admitted to not being behind the prank, somebody thought of the old lady who always bought the expired Hostess stuff (all the items have a slash through the UPC with a black sharpie). A phone call explained it. She thought that since the tech was "a big girl" she must like sweets.
Does she really leave her car unlocked in the parking lot? Where can you do that these days?

Truly, that is sad...poor vet tech.

We have a Pepperideg Farm outlet around the corner, and Entenman's was a few blocks away...that's where we buy all the pastries for coffee hour at church. The stores will sometimes have a small rack of day-old stuff marked down by the bakery...it never lasts long and is usually sold out before I get there.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

We used to have an Enteman's out near Nashville International, & I raided it for all the raspberry danishes I could carry at once.

It closed 3 years ago.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:54 PM

We had a Hostess or Little Debbie or one of those outlets and we'd buy every single little mini poundcake off the shelves. Mr. K was something of a "little cake" addict at one time, and I'd grab 20 or 30 at a time if I could.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:03 PM

I work in the bakery department of a MegaHell.

Day olds are marked down the night before they are about to hit their sell-by date ( not expiration date, sell by. Items still have a good many days left on them.)

If they do not sell, they are scanned for throw away and tossed in the garbage.

There have been occaisions where I have personally tossed $400 worth of still very usable goods into a huge compactor.

The reason it isn't given to charity is because sometime ago ( dunno when) when the stuff was given to local charities there were two problems. The local charities sometimes were late in picking up stuff and as a handler of food, we cannot hold onto something outdated like that for an extra day or two. The second, and it is more frivolous, but the Megastore can be sued if someone at X Charity chips a tooth or something less drastic on a day old. So our megahell chain stopped the practice.

Another thing this MegaHell does that tells me how much they have customers is make the employees move the Day Old Rack away from the bakery area ( convenient for everyone.) and move it to the back corner of the store by Dairy.

So now, all these old people have to totter to the outmost freekin' parts of the store to save 40% on yesterday's bread.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Ujest
I work in the bakery department of a MegaHell.

Day olds are marked down the night before they are about to hit their sell-by date ( not expiration date, sell by. Items still have a good many days left on them.)

If they do not sell, they are scanned for throw away and tossed in the garbage.
Same thing at Former Employer. At one store we did donate the day olds pulled on the weekends for a church-sponsored food pantry, but at the other stores, scanning/tossing was the norm.

Quote:
There have been occaisions where I have personally tossed $400 worth of still very usable goods into a huge compactor.
*nods* I was told once that it's cheaper for the store to take the loss on them than it was to either have a day-old rack or donate them.

Quote:
The reason it isn't given to charity is because sometime ago ( dunno when) when the stuff was given to local charities there were two problems. The local charities sometimes were late in picking up stuff and as a handler of food, we cannot hold onto something outdated like that for an extra day or two. The second, and it is more frivolous, but the Megastore can be sued if someone at X Charity chips a tooth or something less drastic on a day old. So our megahell chain stopped the practice.
This happened at Former Employer when I was a PT clerk. One of my duties was to scan/pack up everything for donation. One morning I was told just to scan/toss something like 4-5 carriages of perfectly good product. I was too shocked to say anything.

Current Employer donates everything. If the day old isn't picked up by 10AM, it heads for the compactor. Customers, by and large, are happy that it's donated, but we have a few who still simmer and vent about us not having a day-old rack.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

We have a Hostess outlet nearby that I frequent.

The local Wal Mart has the aforementioned "rolling rack" where they sell baked goods that are near their expiry date.

My favorite local supermarket even does a similar deal with meats. In the meat case, I look for steaks, chops, chicken, everything, with yellow tags. Those tags mean the meats are approaching their "sell-by" dates and are marked down.

One time, I was in the store just as the store employee was slapping the yellow tags on stuff. I really cleaned up that day!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 PM
BANNED

You can get some great bargains in the 'day old cream cake' section of my local bakery, if you're not proud or fussy.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Rugger
Considering they make a LOT of sales, perhaps they donate up to the limit and then sell the rest?
A lot of the breads and snack pastries at the grocery are there on consignment. The BunnyBread, Hostess, Little Debbie, Pepperidge Farm, whatever delivery guy comes in on a daily or several times a week basis and re-stocks the racks, pulls the stuff that will be out of date before the next delivery and takes them back to the warehouse where they go to the Bakery Thrift StoresTM.

The store is charged for the inventory sold and a re-stocking fee. Most of the time, the distributor pays the store a fee for placement as well (you want a good slot to stock the RingDings? $$$ or we place the Twinkies there).

So in short, for baked goods, most of the time, they are not the store's inventory to donate or put on the day old rack. This goes for chips and other bagged snacks too.

This does differ for in-house baked goods.

Last edited by missred; 08-22-2008 at 12:27 AM..
Old 08-22-2008, 02:56 AM
Charter Member

A local coffeehouse wraps day-old scones, muffins, etc. in cling film and sells them at a discount under a sign that says: "Born Yesterday".
I just think that's so cute for some reason!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenblue
Does she really leave her car unlocked in the parking lot? Where can you do that these days?
heh, I never thought about that. In my current location, I have never locked my vehicle at work or home, neither do any of my employees. When I go tho the mall, I would probably lock my car, but it is a soft-top so a thief just has to undo velcro to get in, so why bother?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 AM

I am still in the habit of locking my car since it's relatively new, but there's really no reason to here, at work or at home. I've finally gotten out of the city habit of locking my front door, and it's much more convenient to let myself in if I am carrying anything.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student Driver
[hijack]Do you live near Greenwood, or was that just a passing-through? I live like a bloc or three away from that store.[/hijack]
Technicaly passing through, I work in Indy but live in Whiteland.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norinew
My favorite local supermarket even does a similar deal with meats. In the meat case, I look for steaks, chops, chicken, everything, with yellow tags. Those tags mean the meats are approaching their "sell-by" dates and are marked down.

One time, I was in the store just as the store employee was slapping the yellow tags on stuff. I really cleaned up that day!
Norine, move to Japan! You'd be in hog heaven. Every night at about the same time, clerks go throughout the store and slap yellow tags on meat, bread, and prepared foods. Breads usually were fairly early, like 6pm. This was on every piece of store-baked breads, which is about 90% of what they sold. If you wait until 9pm you get the real savings when the savings go to about 30%. What surprised me is that there wasn't a big rush of customers to get these bargains.

I don't recall seeing quantities of day old bread for sale at the big grocery stores (Tesco, Waitrose) here in England, but Tesco may have a loaf or two on the refrigerated clearance shelf with the old packaged meats, yogurts, and refrigerated meals. Then again, lazy customers may have abandoned them there. I don't go down that aisle very often.