The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-16-2008, 03:22 PM

How much does a live goat usually go for?

I have to go to the pumpkin farm this weekend for our annual slog through the wet muddy ground to buy a $30 pumpkin, but one of the things I always look forward to is getting a few handfuls of feed and feeding the goats at the petting zoo and I started thinking how cool it would be to have my own goat. Just out of idle curiosity, how much does a live goat usually go for? I don't need anything fancy, no exotic fainting goats or anything, just your standard billy goat. Yes, I'd want a guy one with cool twisty horns too, if that increases the price.

Then as an aside, what does goat upkeep usually run? Basically I'm just wondering if I could afford to have one. Note: I live in a townhouse in the middle of suburbia so it's not going to happen anyway.
Advertisements  
Old 10-16-2008, 03:29 PM

Ever seen the movie "The Castle"? A great scene, between a son and his sweet but clueless father:

SON: Dad? A guy's selling a pair of jousting sticks.

FATHER: Jousting sticks? What's he want for 'em?

SON: Make us an offer. Give him a call?

FATHER: Yeah.

SON: Dad? 450.

FATHER: For jousting sticks? Tell him he's dreamin'!

Although in actuality I have no doubt someone will be along soon with an answer to your question.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 10-16-2008 at 03:32 PM..
Old 10-16-2008, 03:32 PM

You can probably pick one up for a third daughter who isn't all that to look at. If she is rather pretty, I'd hold out for a couple cows.

Or you could try this website, http://goatfinder.com/ .
Old 10-16-2008, 03:44 PM

We bought a 300 pound pig for around $300. I'm guessing an adult goat would be about 120-150 pounds. I'd imagine you could pick one up for $120 to $150.

Just make sure not to wear velcro or zippers.

I'm NOT clicking on that link.

ETA: Here's one you can click on, I was close: http://www.goats4h.com/Goat-costs.html

Underlining mine.
Quote:
Cost of raising a goat
Here are the approximate costs of items needed for raising a goat in Southern California. Costs will vary and are usually much less in more rural areas.

* Purchase price: Expect to pay between $100 and $300 for a registered Dairy Goat kid and between $150 and $350 for a Pygmy Goat.
* Feed: The cost of alfalfa hay in Southern California varies between $9 and $12 per bale, depending on the season and the feed store. Grain costs about $9 per 50 pound bag. One mature dairy goat eats approximately 1 bale of hay every 2 weeks.
* Supplies:
o Collar $6
o Insecticide powder $7
o Hoof trimmers $14
o Milking bucket $20 - $30
o Grooming brush $4
o Kid nipples 60 cents
* Medications:
o Tetanus antitoxin $2 for vial for three kids
o Worming medication $8 - $15 for 10 to 20 doses
* Procedures:
o Stud service $25 to $75
o Disbudding $10 at Farm; $35 with a vet
o CAE blood test $6
o Stool sample $12 to $16 through a veterinarian
EETA: Las time I heard of somebody buying hay in NM, they were bitching that it had gone up to $5 a bale. That was about 3 or 4 years ago.

Last edited by Santo Rugger; 10-16-2008 at 03:47 PM..
Old 10-16-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo Rugger View Post
We bought a 300 pound pig for around $300. I'm guessing an adult goat would be about 120-150 pounds. I'd imagine you could pick one up for $120 to $150.

Just make sure not to wear velcro or zippers.

I'm NOT clicking on that link.

ETA: Here's one you can click on, I was close: http://www.goats4h.com/Goat-costs.html
It's an actual totally SFW site that lists goat breeders and their contact info. Some of the breeders have their own sites linked with price lists and in some cases pictures of the goats for sale. If the smilie was throwing you, that was more to indicate that I found myself funny with the dowry joke. (I realize it wasn't really that funny)
Old 10-16-2008, 03:55 PM

Hey cool, goats seem to be much cheaper than dogs both in cost and upkeep, and plus they can headbut things and then if you feel like eating them one day, nobody can have you arrested. This keeps getting better and better.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

You can get a cute little fainting goat here in Tennessee for about $100. I'd bet you can get a boer goat for $65-85. They're easy keepers, willing to eat stuff horses and cattle won't . They don't need alfalfa hay, plain grass should be just fine. Square bales of grass hay will run about $4/bale here. Goats are hard to keep in and will escape given any opportunity.

StG
Old 10-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinor01 View Post
It's an actual totally SFW site that lists goat breeders and their contact info.
Which is funny, 'cause "goats4h" sounds a lot more 'se-riffic than "goatfinder".
Old 10-16-2008, 04:29 PM

Oddly enough I have just approved the purchase of 8 live goats for work.

They were $110 each. Canadian.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
. Goats are hard to keep in and will escape given any opportunity.
I used to have a dog that did that, but if a $65 goat ran away and I never saw it again I'd be a bit less torn up than if a $800 dog did it.

Once again, I live in a townhouse and am not actually going to be buying a goat. I don't have enough room and besides, my girlfriend would probably be kind of annoyed. No goats in the laundry room, no ducks in the bathtub, no penguins in the freezer. She's like that.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Do not take on livestock lightly. Before making your choice, you should read up on the care and feeding of pet goats.

On a side note, you may be interested in the work of Heifer.org. It's a charity that allows you to buy whole or shares of livestock for donation to subsistence farmers and the like. Looking around at the site is interesting too, especially how things are priced (goat is $120).
Old 10-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
You can get a cute little fainting goat here in Tennessee for about $100.
I had forgotten about fainting goats.. Thanks for refreshing my memory.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
Oddly enough I have just approved the purchase of 8 live goats for work.

They were $110 each. Canadian.
Sounds like it's going to be one heck of a Christmas party.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluricaun View Post
I used to have a dog that did that, but if a $65 goat ran away and I never saw it again I'd be a bit less torn up than if a $800 dog did it.

Once again, I live in a townhouse and am not actually going to be buying a goat. I don't have enough room and besides, my girlfriend would probably be kind of annoyed. No goats in the laundry room, no ducks in the bathtub, no penguins in the freezer. She's like that.
I can see why she wouldn't want goats or ducks, but no penguins in the freezer is just irrational.

Since you are into hypotheticals, Here in PR you could have it almost for free. Although they are not that popular (this is pig country, with cows for decoration), you can always find a friendly neighbor willing to give you one for free or almost ($50 if he plain hates you), and then you just dump it in your land. They really need no looking after.

As someone said, though, they are hard to keep where you want them to stay. You better have good locks in that laundry room of yours.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_n8 View Post
Sounds like it's going to be one heck of a Christmas party.
You have no idea. Earlier this week I approved the purchase of catle, horses & a llama...
Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

I bought my ex a pygmy goat about 10 years ago. She cost me $125, we had her for about a year. She started to become ornery, even our dogs who used to play with her began to avoid her. I think she didn't like being the only goat. I sold her back to the person I bought her from for the same I paid. Goat chow was rather expensive though, $45 for a 20 pound bag that would last a couple weeks. She was in a normal sized backyard and did not have a lot of grazing space. She did keep the blackberries in check and she crapped in the same spot making compost her droppings easy.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluricaun View Post
... No goats in the laundry room, no ducks in the bathtub, no penguins in the freezer. She's like that.
Oh, that's fair enough. Everyone knows that penguins go in the biscuit tin.

Pity you can't have a goat, though. I now find myself wondering whether it's true about Byron and the bear. Have you thought of having a bear, if the objections only cover goats, ducks, and penguins?

Might you keep bats in the belfry? How about eels in your hovercraft?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
You have no idea. Earlier this week I approved the purchase of catle, horses & a llama...
I'm getting a lovely mental image of you trying to fit all these animals down that rabbit hole.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:30 PM

It's not Hal's area of expertise, but he might be able to give you a rough idea.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:12 PM

Goats are cheap. Here are the offerings in Arkansas right now (about $50, for those who don't want to click). I know I've seen them in the $20 range.

Also, what's this nonsense about feeding alfa alfa bales and goat chow? The whole point of goats is they eat any crap that no other animal will touch. They can live off of barbed wire and thorn bushes.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 PM

Apparently goatfinder sees it fit to offer goat rentals.

Tee hee. Goat rentals.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:19 AM

I've got 5 of the spawn of Satan.

The main things are:

1) Worms. Goats have no natural resistance to intestinal worms, so need drenching regularly.

2) Feet. Unless your goat is walking on hard surfaces, it's hooves will grow. They need trimming, in my case 3 or 4 times a year. That's not a hardship as I get to roll on the ground with a cute, friendly female vet. YMMV

3) Sex. Billy goats stink for 4 months of the year. Nannies bleat while on heat. Two billys together will bunt themselves silly.

4) Escapes. You need good fences. May not help as the neighbours watched a nanny "bounce" over a 4' fence. Once out, a goat will make for the most valuable object not belonging to you and eat it. Especially a neighbour's driveway lined with 50 rose bushes.

5) Feed. They need adequate feed. Some grass, but lot's of roughage too. During feed pinches, some bagged feed (aka goat crack) is required. Some plants are poisonous to them, lilies for example.

6) Damage. They will ringbark trees, as well as trimming all lower branches. Anything belonging to an irate neighbour is fair game too.

7) Evilness. Yes they look cute, but inside they are thinking the same thoughts as a 4 y.o. girl. Billys will rear up and challenge you, they all will bunt you from behind without warning. While feeding one a handful of goat crack, the others will be chewing your clothes, opening the ice cream container full of goat nuts, or just plain trying to knock you or their herdmate over.

8) Horns. They are sharp and dangerous. I've come very close to losing an eye. They can also get their head stuck somewhere and need rescuing.

Last edited by dynamitedave; 10-17-2008 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamitedave View Post
Once out, a goat will make for the most valuable object not belonging to you and eat it. Especially a neighbour's driveway lined with 50 rose bushes.
My neighbour had a rose garden. I second that goats are fucking evil bastards*. Round here, they are free for all the reasons mentioned above.

* I still miss being play-butted and giving a head rub and seeing a furiously wagging tail in return, even if he did eat my house.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Six squid.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
7) Evilness. Yes they look cute, but inside they are thinking the same thoughts as a 4 y.o. girl. Billys will rear up and challenge you, they all will bunt you from behind without warning. While feeding one a handful of goat crack, the others will be chewing your clothes, opening the ice cream container full of goat nuts, or just plain trying to knock you or their herdmate over.
Man, your four-year-old must be a handful Mine is just a picky eater.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:54 AM

Before getting a goat, it would be a good idea to see if you can get veterinary care locally. In my area, the large animal vets do not do farm calls for small ruminants. I do see small ruminants, but only as "pet animals". So, to disbud a goat, a large animal vet typically uses no/minimal anesthesia and charges $30 - $50 per animal. In my office, I use anesthesia and sterile technique and charge $125 - $175 (varies by weight).

Castration, done in the field by a large animal vet the cost is minimal. Done in my practice, charge is roughly $180.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:15 AM

I second or third the "goats are mean little bastards" opinion. I had a pygmy goat that was just cute as a button. Trickery!

His name was Taz. He would get jealous of my toddler and knock her down. He followed me around the outside of the house when I planted begonias and uprooted and ate every damn one. He alternately bit my ass or knocked me on it. He shat on the porch, he cried like a colicky baby, he kicked the turkeys (don't ask) and ate my purse.

I gave him to the old folks home. Sometimes I feel a little guilty, but I'm not sure if it's because Taz might have broken one of their hips or the old folks might have eaten him.

But damn he was cute...
Old 10-17-2008, 10:31 AM

What to expect:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...ad.php?t=33909

And if things don't work out:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...ad.php?t=41020
Old 10-17-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
Six squid.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 AM

Dynamitedave, are they better if neutered/spayed/whatever they call "fixed" goats?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Dynamitedave, are they better if neutered/spayed/whatever they call "fixed" goats?
Did you hear about the nanny goat who never got pregnant?
She was under the whether.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Six squid = six quid.

ETA: altho wouldn't it work better if it had been said "Sick squid."

Last edited by Ludovic; 10-17-2008 at 01:09 PM..
Old 10-17-2008, 01:18 PM

30+ posts and not a mention of Felching.

C'mon people, what is the matter with y'all
Old 10-17-2008, 01:19 PM

I want a fainting goat!!
Old 10-17-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HongKongFooey View Post
Man, your four-year-old must be a handful Mine is just a picky eater.
I'm not a parent, so that's my default view. The only full-on experience with children I've had is with the other neighbour's 4 y.o. girl. Not sure if all kids (human) are like that or if she's got 666 marked on her somewhere. Sorry to tar them all with the same brush

Quote:
The billy got de-knacked after several breeding seasons. Now he doesn't stink, but he has "learned behaviour" So he does everything he used to do, without the end result.

The other boy goat is 2 now. He was fixed soon after birth and hasn't displayed any interest in any dominance games or breeding. I'm not sure how goat society works; whether there can be only one dominate male in a herd, or if duties can be shared. He's still a mummy's boy, cries if separated from her. She, up to a point, shares her feedbowl with him. She won't share with any of the others.

I don't know if nannies can be spayed. I guess so, but it'd be a major operation with it's attendant risks and cost.

Goat's, like most herd animals only call to warn/inform the others. So it's a bit disconcerting to to hear calls, with no obvious sign of danger. The first time it happened I was looking for what's wrong; no stray dog about, all the others are ok. Then a close study of the nanny revealed she was on heat, and everything clicked
Old 10-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

As noted, goats are very cheap animals. You may be able to find one for free but a generic type goat should always be less than $100 all inclusive. The thing about goats is that that they are extremely stupid but they have personality and they are eccentric. In contrast, sheep are just just plain stupid. When I was little, we had a homely goat named William that would come into the house, sit on the couch, watch TV, and eat popcorn with us (when my mother wasn't home). However, they really will eat just about anything so you can't have prized plants around them. Goats are like the freshman frat brother that destroyed his brains out on drugs early on and then became a stupid one trick pony that people still like to have around. They are fun to wrestle with too. A really stupid ram will keep going all day even if it loses every single time.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 10-17-2008 at 02:12 PM..
Old 10-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
. When I was little, we had a homely goat named William that would come into the house, sit on the couch, watch TV, and eat popcorn with us (when my mother wasn't home)
That's so cool, I would be one happy little leprechaun if I could have something like that, but I suspect that if I ever did something like that my goat and I would be soon sharing the same accomodations, and they ain't likely to include a couch or a tv or even popcorn ever again. Also with my luck the goat would fall in love with programming aimed at their level of intelligence and I'd be stuck watching VH1for the rest of my life.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetbridge View Post
Did you hear about the nanny goat who never got pregnant?
She was under the whether.
I don't know how many others got a laugh out of this one, but - dumb joke or not - I surely did. Of course, these days few people know the proper agricultural terms, so for them it's obscure. Note to the curious: Look up wether, not whether.

Thanks for the laugh!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=dynamitedave;10325812]snip---

----snip/QUOTE]

You do NOT want a billy unless you are able to confine it or it is for quick food disposal (you are going to eat it fast). My parents have many goats and I have worked with them on and off for years.

There is a reason male goats are associated with the demonic- they are in rut and smell like fish emulsion for a large part of the year. Imagine dropping rotten fish into a blender and rubbing over the majority of their bodies and you have a pretty good idea. Stripping down entirely and showering with Dr Brauner's or something as strong is about the only solution if they rub you.

They also are rather violent and I have seen billy's actually rape each other with full penetration. They also like to pee on their faces and mouths and anything else that gets near.

But nanny goats are quite nice, if a little loopy.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Luminary

Sign seen at the exit of a petting zoo:

"Even pigs wash their hands after petting a goat."
Old 10-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
While feeding one a handful of goat crack, the others will be chewing your clothes, opening the ice cream container full of goat nuts, or just plain trying to knock you or their herdmate over.
I won't ask how you came to collect their nuts in an ice cream container, but it certainly explains their bad temper toward you.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I won't ask how you came to collect their nuts in an ice cream container, but it certainly explains their bad temper toward you.
Heh

Goat nuts aka Goat Crack aka NRM Multifeed Nuts in case anyone's concerned about just what they get fed
Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
They are fun to wrestle with too. A really stupid ram will keep going all day even if it loses every single time.
How does one wrestle with a goat? Is it like wrestling with a dog or cat or ferret? (That is, do you flip them over on their backs and have them grab your arms with their paws and teeth while you give them a good-natured scruffing?)
Old 10-21-2008, 11:06 AM
BANNED

Just remember, goats will eat everyfuckingthing. Your plants, flowers, car tires, all of it will be gone. My grandparents had a huge farm with lots of goats and those little bastards would always get in her garden somehow and eat her flowers and such. You would go out there and there would be nothing but a garden full of sticks and twigs and branches. My granny used to get so mad... lol