Hard boiled eggs stay warm for a long time

Seriously, it’s been sitting on my desk since I got back from the cafeteria and it’s still very warm to the touch. Either eggs have incredible insulative properties, which I was previously unaware of*, or our food supplier is actually serving us NASA’s latest heat-tile idea.

*This is extremely possible. My parents would quite cheerfully tell you about the time I learned you can’t soft-boil an egg in the microwave.

I think just about any university student would go with the heat-tile theory.:smiley:

I asked my sister the chemical engineer about this. She gave me an incredibly long explanation involving specific heat and ended by discussing the ways she could use this property of eggs for cruel practical jokes

Normally after I hard boil eggs, I put them in cold water with ice cubes for 2-3 minutes. They’re still very warm on the inside, and only lukewarm under the shell.

uhmmm, kick down with some of the practical jokes ideas!

If you want 'em cold fast, SeanArenas has the right idea: put 'em in an ice bath.

But in my honest opinion, there’s nothing in the world quite like a just-cool-enough-to-eat hard boiled egg. WAY better than cold ones.

I love warm hard-boiled eggs with butter on them. When I was a kid it was always a special treat to get a warm H-B egg with butter. My boyfriend thought I was nuts when he saw me cutting an egg in half and buttering it, until he tried it himself. It makes the yolk taste richer and creamier.

In return he turned me on to adding hard-boiled eggs to spaghetti.

This was the first time I ate a non-cold hard boiled egg. It was astonishingly good.

Oh yeah, hot hard boiled eggs are the bomb. This is why I only hard boil 2 or 3 eggs at a time.

As a kid, we used to hard boil a whole dozen at once, and then eat them over a few days. At one point, I told mom that I like them better warm (and with a touch of salt sprinkled on - never heard of butter), and we started just boiling as many as we would eat at a time. nummies!