Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Surreal Surreal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,078
Are Left-Handed People More Pedophilic Than Right-Handed People?

Is it true that left-handed people are significantly more inclined to be pedophiles than right-handed people? If so, why does this correlation exist?

Does this tendency hold for just the act of becoming aroused, or is there an association between being left-handed and becoming a child molester? Does this relationship hold true for left-handed women as well as men?

Are any other perversions associated with non-right-handedness?

Thanks.
  #2  
Old 11-08-2008, 12:17 PM
WhyNot WhyNot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 33,496
Yay! Surreal's back!
  #3  
Old 11-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Q.E.D. Q.E.D. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 22,536
From the Canadian Centre for Addiction and Mental Health:
Quote:
Previous research from this team has strongly hinted that the key to understanding pedophilia might be in how the brain develops. Pedophiles have lower IQs, are three times more likely to be left-handed, and even tend to be physically shorter than non-pedophiles.

Last edited by Q.E.D.; 11-08-2008 at 12:27 PM.
  #4  
Old 11-08-2008, 03:10 PM
astro astro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Taint of creation
Posts: 33,150
Probably a left hander
  #5  
Old 11-08-2008, 03:22 PM
gonzomax gonzomax is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 26,307
Stats are that about 10 % of the populace is left handed. Also that 10 % is gay. Coincidence, I think not, God just made it easy to pick them out.
  #6  
Old 11-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Dr. Drake Dr. Drake is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,116
Or it could be that statisticians just like 10%.

Seriously, that seems high for gay people, though I've seen the number bandied about a lot, and it seems low for left-handers. Does anyone have reliable statistics for either group?
  #7  
Old 11-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Chief Pedant Chief Pedant is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post

Are any other perversions associated with non-right-handedness?

Thanks.
Schizophrenia and a desire to become POTUS in the last 60 years (i.e. ever since the Presidency became a perversion).

Last edited by Chief Pedant; 11-08-2008 at 09:29 PM.
  #8  
Old 11-08-2008, 10:50 PM
KGS KGS is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Porn Capital USA
Posts: 4,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.E.D. View Post
From the Canadian Centre for Addiction and Mental Health:
Quote:
Pedophiles have lower IQs, are three times more likely to be left-handed, and even tend to be physically shorter than non-pedophiles.
We should keep in mind that all studies done on pedophilia involve subjects who are criminals -- i.e. pedos who actually committed a crime on a child AND were caught. These studies are inherently flawed, because they do not include the offenders who were skilled enough to hide their crimes (or convince their victims that they weren't actually abused) or the pedophiles who never offend in the first place. (I doubt such a study will ever be done...if YOU were a secret pedophile, would YOU tell anyone??? I think not!)

Last edited by KGS; 11-08-2008 at 10:50 PM.
  #9  
Old 11-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Laudenum Laudenum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drake View Post
Or it could be that statisticians just like 10%.

Seriously, that seems high for gay people, though I've seen the number bandied about a lot, and it seems low for left-handers. Does anyone have reliable statistics for either group?
If I remember correctly, the 10% figure is from a study by Kinsey.
The study was flawed because it measured homosexual activity, and used a disproportionately high prison pop as subjects.
  #10  
Old 11-09-2008, 12:36 PM
susan susan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Coastal USA
Posts: 8,487
There's about 10% average same-sex sexual behavior (in the US, once or more). That's different from lesbian, gay, or bi identity, which is a smaller number of people (in some studies up to 10% of US/European males, but typically 3-5% of females).
  #11  
Old 11-09-2008, 01:50 PM
boytyperanma boytyperanma is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 5,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan View Post
There's about 10% average same-sex sexual behavior (in the US, once or more). That's different from lesbian, gay, or bi identity, which is a smaller number of people (in some studies up to 10% of US/European males, but typically 3-5% of females).
Last study I read said 4% or men and 2 % of women studied where exclusively homosexual.

Including bisexual activity in studies adds a level of complexity that can result in very different results between studies.
  #12  
Old 11-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Beware of Doug Beware of Doug is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Own Private Iowa
Posts: 15,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
Stats are that about 10 % of the populace is left handed. Also that 10 % is gay.
The same 10%, eh? Maybe that's why I'm so psychically f'd up. I just need to be trained out of my left-handedness. Or my heterosexuality.

  #13  
Old 11-09-2008, 03:39 PM
boytyperanma boytyperanma is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 5,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of Doug View Post
The same 10%, eh? Maybe that's why I'm so psychically f'd up. I just need to be trained out of my left-handedness. Or my heterosexuality.

Just lose the heterosexuality many guys will help you in the proccess
  #14  
Old 11-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Autolycus Autolycus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ainran
Posts: 11,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Billy Quizboy sure has let himself go
  #15  
Old 11-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Pyper Pyper is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGS View Post
We should keep in mind that all studies done on pedophilia involve subjects who are criminals -- i.e. pedos who actually committed a crime on a child AND were caught. These studies are inherently flawed, because they do not include the offenders who were skilled enough to hide their crimes (or convince their victims that they weren't actually abused) or the pedophiles who never offend in the first place. (I doubt such a study will ever be done...if YOU were a secret pedophile, would YOU tell anyone??? I think not!)
What is interesting about that study, though, is that the control group also consisted of criminals. So we are comparing pedophiles who got caught to criminals who got caught committing other crimes. It seems to me that this would imply that pedophiles ARE stupider than the average population, or at least stupider than the average criminal.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017