Replacing garage door springs?

I have reason to believe my garage door springs are no longer doing their job. I have a big 2-car aluminum garage door, it goes down easily but raising it is not easy.

The door is on a C-shaped track with metal rollers attaching it to the track. The springs are horizontal and mounted above the horizontal part of the door track.

I’d like to try replacing the springs myself since I don’t have hundreds of dollars to spend on professionals. It doesn’t look like the springs are under tension when the door is up, would this usually be the case? The only big difficulties I see are dealing with the safety cable that runs through them, and getting the right springs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I’ve done this.
You need to be VERY CAREFUL. Generally, the springs need to be “wound” a certain number of times, using some round barstock. If you slip, the bar can whip around and kill you. Literally.

Even I would pay someone to do it, and that’s saying something.

This page is a description of how I replaced torsion springs on a garage door. You may find that my experience either frightens you from trying such a stunt yourself, or encourages you to give it a try. You may curse me for revealing the techniques supposedly known only to the trade, or perhaps thank me for explaining how it’s done. All the secrets are revealed below. Even if you hire this work out, just knowing how it is done will help you shop for the best deal and avoid falling prey to overcharging tricks.

Mine aren’t torsion springs, they’re just plain old springs like these: http://www.ukgaragedoorsparts.co.uk/shop/images/GDM34.jpg

It doesn’t look like they’re under any tension when the door is up. They get stretched by a cable/pulley system as the door lowers.

The whole arrangement is almost exactly like this: Page Not Found | SteelBuilding.com

beowulff, is it just the torsion springs that need to be wound?

It doesn’t sound like the OP has torsion springs to me. The safety cable parts sounds more like he has an extension spring door. If that is the case, they are not quite as dangerous but still demand some respect.

Edit: In that case, I’d try re-tensioning them first. Unclamp the cable, pull it tight and reclamp.

Oh.
My current garage door has those.
Piece of cake - as mentioned above, just try re-tensioning them.

Thanks guys, I haven’t carefully examined the mechanism since it’s so darned cold and dark when I get home. Now I just need a stepladder so I can get up there. :smiley:

In that case, I retract my earlier post.

It’s a piece of cake. They sell them at Home Depot or Lowes, take the old one with you to size up the new one. I would block the door open with a C-Clamp on the track to keep it from coming down. If you try to lower it without the springs on, it WILL get away from you and go down hard.

If I remember correctly, new springs were about $25 each.

These springs are dangerous when they eventually break. I was in the garage (but nowhere nearby) when one broke and it was quite violent. I think the new thing is to run a steel cable through the spring so that it won’t swing around when it snaps.

Yes, the springs are 3 feet long or so and made from like 1/4" solid metal, and I can imagine they’d be very dangerous when they break. Mine do have the safety cable going through the middle of them.

What everyone else said above, especially the part about dangerous when they break.

I don’t think it’s been mentioned, but when you replace one spring, you should always replace the other. I noticed that written on the package last year when I bought one to replace a single broken one.

And very easy to replace.

Following up, I finally got up on a stepladder and examined the springs and cables. I found the installation manual for the garage door (the previous house owner was good about keeping manuals for things) and it detailed how to adjust the cable lengths and the special way to secure the cable ends. So I shortened each cable by about 4". Now the opener will once again open my garage door! I guess the springs are just a bit tired from ~20 years of use.

This is about the only home repair job I unhesitantly call in a repairman for. I had an electrician replace my main service panel, anything simpler/less dangerous than that I tackle myself. The garage door springs don’t make the do-it-yourself cut.

That said, it sure looks simple enough. Which to me means I hired the right repairman, not that I should do it myself.

I wouldn’t mess with a torsion spring door, that’s where the spring(s) are mounted above the top of the door. On my door the springs are mounted above the back sides of the track, and aren’t under tension when the door is up. Anyway, it turned out I was just able to adjust the steel cables, I didn’t have to mess with the springs.

Let me 2nd that. Your springs should have safety cables strung through them so if one of the ends break they don’t shoot out and take your head off. I’ve been in a garage when one lets go. It took a chunk out of the garage door frame.

My springs have the safety cable running through them, and I this is a mid 1980’s vintage garage. Yeah, I’d hate to think of one breaking and taking a hunk outta my skull.

reported

Like many things, this can be done by a home owner, but common sense goes a long way.

I concur with most:

• I think a pretty handy homeowner probably can do it (I could)

• You do need to change both springs

• You do need to ensure the wire goes though the spring for your future self 10 years from now!

• And one think I haven’t seen posted. At some point you’ll need to keep the door in the ‘up’ position, either from having a number of bolts behind the wheels, or via 2X4s holding the door up. The sole purpose of those springs is to assist the motor (or you if manual) in lifting that very heavy door up. And when the springs are detached, that dore is going to want to close fast and hard. Your friend won’t be able to hold it up.

Minor aside. I replaced the motor at the same time I did the springs and replaced the chain mechanism with the rubber one. Amazing how much quieter it is.

Note: This thread is from 2009 and was bumped by a spammer.