The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 12-07-2008, 04:16 PM

How to fix screw that keeps falling out of my glasses

I think this is a factual question (and not an opinion one), but mods feel free to move this if it needs it.

The tiny screw holding together my glasses frame around my right lens seems to keep coming loose. This is the third time in as many months and I am scared it will do it again (and lens pop out) when I'm doing something like driving or in a meeting at work.

I've tried screwing it in REALLY TIGHT, but it doesn't seem to help much.

I've thought about applying a tiny amount of clear superglue around it to help it not untwist, but I will probably be getting some new lenses in a few months, and the screw will have to be able to come out.

Help, I can't let a 1 cent screw defeat me!
Advertisements  
Old 12-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
Help, I can't let a 1 cent screw defeat me!
You can try to shim it with a small scrap of paper, or a tiny sliver of wood.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:19 PM

I've heard that a drop of clear nail polish will help, but won't hold so tight that you can't get the screw out when you need to.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:23 PM

loctite various strengths
Old 12-07-2008, 06:12 PM

Loctite didn't seem to sell any of their products near me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Derkins View Post
I've heard that a drop of clear nail polish will help, but won't hold so tight that you can't get the screw out when you need to.
I might have to try this. I will still have to go out and buy some (the woman of the household does not do her nails, which is just fine with me.)
Old 12-07-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Rubber cement will work for tiny screws.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

I lost one of the screws in my glasses a year or two ago, and replaced it with a bit of paperclip poked in the hole and wrapped around the frame at that spot. It works fine, and is hardly noticable.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Elmer's glue is good for this too.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
If you have anything resembling an automotive parts store around you, they will have loctite...

But the suggestion of nail polish will most likely work just fine.

You could even try a drop of paint on the threads before you screw it back in.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Ibit of paperclip.... It works fine, and is hardly noticable.
Unless one is actively looking for nerd fashion.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I lost one of the screws in my glasses a year or two ago, and replaced it with a bit of paperclip poked in the hole and wrapped around the frame at that spot. It works fine, and is hardly noticable.
This makes about the tenth reason you are one of my nerd heroes.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Derkins View Post
I came in to suggest this very thing, as I've resorted to this myself in the past. It works fine.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 PM

Do people still use hairspray (I mean, other than Amy Winehouse)? I recall using this for keeping tiny screws in.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:40 PM

Yes they do. It makes me sneeze, so you can bet I know when someone has used it.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:38 AM

Crazy glue. Works a treat.

In fact, I've glued my glasses to my head permanently this way. Never have to worry about them falling off, no matter what the activity.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
I have lost a few of those little screws over the years, never to be found again. Better than a paper clip a bit of copper wire can be used to make a C or even a rivet as it is much softer to work with.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:12 AM

Apple Cider...

My sunglasses have a screw that gets loose every now and then, but two years ago I took part of a typical New Year celebration in my home country, basically a large crowd gathers in the old city and a gigantic apple cider soak-a-thon ensues. I had my sunglasses on during this and over the months I noticed that the screw didn't loosen any more.

If you want to get more mainstream you can unscrew the thing and clean the screw and hole with alcohol (or better, contact cleaning spray) to remove oil from your skin that may have accumulated there. If after this it still gets loose is time to put a little instant glue on that sucker. Tighten the screw, use a needle to pick up a small drop from the glue tube and apply that to the screw head. That should do.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 AM

Take them to any local optician. The screws we use for replacement these days have a coating on them that seems to keep them in place longer. You should not be charged for this, whether you bought them there or not. DO NOT use super glue. Loctite or clear nail polish is fine. If the barrel of the frame is stripped, your optician can use a screw with a hex-nut, but that is somewhat noticeable on a lot of frames. When tightening the screw yourself, do not force it to "get tighter". When it stops turning, stop trying. Otherwise, you can inadvertently strip the barrel.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But Loctite makes SuperGlue brand super glue, which you already mentioned?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 AM

Take out the screw, and leave it and whatever bit of frame it goes in in some rubbing alcohol overnight.

The oils from your skin (or head-related products) coat threads if they get a little loose on their own, which is why they keep coming loose again afterwards.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:50 AM

I solved this problem with my glasses by using a slightly larger screw. Glasses repair kits are sold with many different sizes of replacement screws.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I have lost a few of those little screws over the years, never to be found again. Better than a paper clip a bit of copper wire can be used to make a C or even a rivet as it is much softer to work with.
I used a garbage bag twist tie wire with the paper part stripped off. You can't see it and it works. I got tired of having to drive to the optician's every time a screw fell out and got lost. I had glasses for 5 years that got beat up terribly and the screws rarely fell out. My newest pairs have had the screws fall out numerous times, the first times within a month of purchase. I highly doubt that they are making better screws these days.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

If anyone's interested, the proper Loctite for this use is the purple 222MS.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:22 AM

I had this problem for years and years, then I upgraded to a better, more expensive brand. The new screws do not come out, no matter what. Something in the design of the screws prevents them from loosening. I don't know why all brands aren't like that.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Perhaps, but I didn't have any copper wire on me at the time, but I did have a paperclip and a needle-nosed pliers (this rendering the harder metal workable).
Old 12-08-2008, 12:15 PM

The problem with a lens screw is that once it loosens at all, the lens starts to move around in the frame a little, which bends the frame slightly, which means no matter how much you tighten the screw, the two sides of the frame will never quite sit flush again, which means the screw can't be fully tightened, which means the whole process starts all over again....
Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishIHadACoolName View Post
Otherwise, you can inadvertently strip the barrel.
Related question: If the barrel has been stripped, is there anything that can be done about that?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Related question: If the barrel has been stripped, is there anything that can be done about that?
You can re-drill it if there's enough frame and use a bigger screw, or use a bigger self-tapping screw sometimes, but generally, no.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:

I might have to try this. I will still have to go out and buy some (the woman of the household does not do her nails, which is just fine with me.)
My optician recommended this also for my last pair, for which the screws fell out all the time (including in the middle of Alaska). My current pair has been fine.

I recommend buying a glasses repair kit for a few bucks. I never go anywhere without mine anymore. Especially good if you can't find the damn screw.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I think this is a factual question (and not an opinion one), but mods feel free to move this if it needs it.

The tiny screw holding together my glasses frame around my right lens seems to keep coming loose. This is the third time in as many months and I am scared it will do it again (and lens pop out) when I'm doing something like driving or in a meeting at work.

I've tried screwing it in REALLY TIGHT, but it doesn't seem to help much.

I've thought about applying a tiny amount of clear superglue around it to help it not untwist, but I will probably be getting some new lenses in a few months, and the screw will have to be able to come out.

Superglue will work, but you migyt want to apply it to both the top and bottom of the screw. As for your new pair, if the loose screw happened a lot, short of poping out, you might want to check about changing the shape your temples (the "legs" of the glass that go to the ear). I have a wide head and pulled my spring hinges to the max and loosened screws. I broke one hinge recently and when both temples were replaced the optican curved them to relieve the stress on the new spring hinges. Also, brands matter somewhat. My previous glasses (from my optometrist) lasted 10 years under the stress, but the new pair (lenscrafters) which I had repaired last barely a year.

Last edited by Jormungandr; 12-08-2008 at 10:34 PM..