Tales from the Public Domain (best books on Project Gutenberg)

Post your favorite books on Project Gutenberg and why we should read them.

Mine:

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
A great, fun read. Referenced all over our culture. Necessary reading in my opinion. I was surprised to find that the main character’s companion is never directly called that name that everyone refers to him as IIRC.

Moby Dick
Similar to Huck Finn; beautiful prose, but in a totally different way. I found it extremely moody (in a good way.) I could feel the cold air blowing as I read this. Also referenced everywhere.

The Barsoom Series, AKA the John Carter Books, by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Amazing early sci-fi/fantasy that inspired everything for the next 60 years or so. If there is any childlike element left in your psyche, no matter how buried, you will LOVE this series. And each book takes like 2 or 3 sittings to read, even if you’re not a fast reader. They’re short and extremely digestible.

The Song of Hiawatha by Longfellow
The only epic poem that I’ve ever really, really enjoyed right off the bat, as opposed to learning to appreciate it. It flows and reads very fast is just mesmerizing. The rhythym will be stuck in your head all day if you read too long in one sitting, but it’s good enough that you won’t mind.

I read Uncle Tom’s Cabin from Gutenberg. Very hard to read with the stylized dialect, but a great story nonetheless.

I think I downloaded (or cut and pasted) Brave New World, but I never finished it. I need to read that, dammit.

What a coincidence, I just put Brave New World on my “books to read” list last night (been meaning to for years.) Was going to buy it with the inevitable Barnes & Noble gift card that at least one member of my wife’s family gets me for Xmas every year. I don’t think it even occured to me to check PG for it.

The first time I read Kim consisted of spending a a few work days during a particularly slow summer behind the circ desk scrolling through the Project Gutenberg version while keeping an eye out for my boss dragging her ass out of the office across the hall. Great book!

One that I never would have read without Project Gutenberg was P.T. Barnum’s “Humbugs of the World”. It’s amazing how little humanity has changed. The bits about the various stock market bubbles should be required reading for anyone with any money in stock.

Thanks again to Harmonious Discord for the recommendation.

The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue

Some of the definitions are quite funny, like the words for holding someone upside-down so their money falls out of their pockets for you to “discover”.

Mentioned in some other thread: The New Pun Book

I’ve been revisiting Sherlock Holmes, which I haven’t read since I was a kid. (The short-story format makes it perfect Kindle fodder – a nice bit to read in between other, weightier books.)

I read Animal Farm on there- thanks for the reminder that it exists!

Please elaborate on these; why you liked them, why we should read then, etc. Some of them aren’t in Wikipedia and don’t have summaries on Amazon.

I’ve read a number of Gutenberg books. Some good ones that spring to mind are H.G. Welles’ The Island of Doctor Moreau and War of the Worlds, and H. Rider Haggard’s Allan Quatermain books (King Solomon’s Mines et seq.)

If you’ve got an iPod Touch or an iPhone, the free Stanza app will download texts directly from Project Gutenberg and format them in an optimal manner for reading on the device. Its a lot easier to read them that way, than on a PC, I’ve found.

Presently, I’m reading *Edison’s Conquest of Mars* by Garrett P. Serviss. This is generally considered to be an unauthorized sequel to War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells, but in reality is an unauthorized sequel to an unauthorized bastardization of Wells book called Fighters From Mars: The War of the Worlds In and Near Boston. Sadly, it appears that only a portion of that book is electronically available.

Its an “interesting” read. Serviss is nowhere near the caliber of writer that Wells was. Also, unlike Wells, his work is simply a straight up adventure tale, with no effort at allegory. Its worth reading, if for no other reason than because of the contrast with Wells work. His Martians are quite a bit different than those of Wells (for one thing, they’re giant humanoids) and there’s a distinct lack of seriousness about the whole adventure.

Its led by Thomas Edison (who does not seem to be all that distinct as a character) and consists of a handful of military types and a large number of corporate executives and scientific geniuses. At one point, on their way to Mars, they spot some Martians working on an asteroid near Mars, they land, do battle with the Martians, then start exploring the asteroid. When one of them figures out that they’re heavier than they’re supposed to be (their spaceships have artificial gravity, BTW), they realize that the asteroid is made of gold. Not only do they gather up a bunch of gold nuggets, but they proceed to throw some of them in the direction of the Earth. (The narrator states that he thinks while most of the gold will burn up in the atmosphere once it hits the Earth, some of it might survive intact to crash upon the surface.) I’m only nine chapters in, but when I finish the book, I’ll start a thread on it, because there’s a great deal to discuss about it.

Tuckerfan, thanks. That actually sounds better than War of the Worlds to me, as I am one of those rare science fiction fans who does not care for H.G. Wells.

…and you may end up writing something like Hiawatha’s Photographing by Lewis Carroll. (It’s available from Project Gutenberg as part of Phantasmagoria and Other Poems, but my link is to a page where the poem appears alone.)

Speaking of Carroll, Gutenberg also has his long poem The Hunting of the Snark, as well as Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, two of the funniest books ever written—though, alas, the Gutenberg texts don’t have the Tenniel illustrations.

Yes, the Sherlock Holmes stories are wonderful entertainment. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is probably the best collection.

And if you like mystery short stories, there are a lot by G. K. Chesterton, including his Father Brown stories, of which the first and best volume is The Innocence of Father Brown. Also a selection of his essays, poetry, and novels, including the amazing, highly recommended The Man Who Was Thursday. (See the old thread Tell me about G.K. Chesterton).

If you’re into the American Civil War, you might enjoy Company Aytch, by Sam Watkins. It’s an interesting memoir by an ordinary soldier.
RR

Because copyright laws vary by country and not all nations acknowledge the US’s copyright extension acts they’re not all bound by the 1923 rule, so some nation’s mirrors of Gutenberg have things that are not in public domain in America.

Example:

GONE WITH THE WIND-and
[URL=“http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks02/0200041h.html”]THE GREAT GATSBY
are both still copyrighted in the U.S. but both are available free and full text through Project Gutenberg’s Australian mirror.